Author Topic: Your Dream Campaign/Mod/Etc.  (Read 8226 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Your Dream Campaign/Mod/Etc.
I been having thoughts lately of how to make Freespace fun again. When I first played, I had a blast. But nowadays, it is all so stale... even things like BP feel... bland.

So I began asking myself a question: What would it take to make the game fun?

From the Brainstorming, I had an idea of a game in which you control a "Light Carrier" of sorts, with you on a RTS/RTT command scheme, with the ability to take control of a drone craft (Which plays on a more traditional Flight sim mode). There would be different drones and each squad of them would focus on something (Anti-Fighter, Bomb Intercept, Transmitting commands to allies, ECM/ECCM, ramming larger vessels...) The challenge would lie on coordinating a flotilla for assaults on locations of strategic importance.

What about you people? What would make the game fun (Or more fun!) for you?

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
Re: Your Dream Campaign/Mod/Etc.
I really wanted to see if I could implement a high fidelity capital ship control system where you could manually aim the turrets and manage systems but it required .lua scripting and somewhere in the execution I got lazy and stopped.

What you are describing has been attempted before, but it's not one of those things that fits smoothly. Sounds cool though.

I like the game for what it is. I still think there are a lot of options that a modder has to make this game fun. It's just a matter of creativity, time and execution.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
When you've got stuff like JAD out there, I think the game is still plenty of fun. You can't get much more creative than JAD or say BP act 3.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think there's a lot of design space left to explore. Working at a triple-A studio has really made it clear to me that FreeSpace's design and the FRED editor in particular are way more powerful than most of the tools available to 'real' designers.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I once wanted to make a campaign in which you'd play, at different points, as a starship commander, a fleet commander and a fighter pilot. It'd either have to involve multiple characters or a main character somewhat akin to Darth Vader (normal rank progression is too slow to go well with a campaign), but we've got everything that would be needed. That said, I don't even have time to play anymore (it turned out college work regularly eats my weekends), let along undertake such a huge project.

Offline Zeether

I always thought of a mod with a magic + technology theme on the ships in some sort of anime/manga universe (possibly Negima, since, well, the plot at the end sort of enters space territory despite never really being covered) but Wings of Dawn sort of already covered that and my modeling skills suck. And I haven't learned FRED yet.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I have a dozen brilliant ideas for a time-travel campaign and no time to implement any of them.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which is totally appropriate :D
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

i have some ideas i wont share coz i will implement them when i have the time which will happen soon after the big rip (no promises though)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
From the Brainstorming, I had an idea of a game in which you control a "Light Carrier" of sorts, with you on a RTS/RTT command scheme, with the ability to take control of a drone craft (Which plays on a more traditional Flight sim mode). There would be different drones and each squad of them would focus on something (Anti-Fighter, Bomb Intercept, Transmitting commands to allies, ECM/ECCM, ramming larger vessels...) The challenge would lie on coordinating a flotilla for assaults on locations of strategic importance.

If all continues to go according to plan, BtA will have some RTS stuff.  :)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

I would like to see a campaign in which the GTVA loses against the Shivans.

In this scenario i would be more interested in all the feelings and reactions of the characters... also what would command do to keep control over the troops? Because i think some of them would try to run away to survive instead to fight a battle they would surely lose.

Another interesting idea i read in the past was some kind of love story during one of the wars. Which were also a campaign that focus on feelings and thoughts during some problems (love is MIA or you were forced to leave her/him behind etc.)
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I would like to see a campaign in which the GTVA loses against the Shivans.

In this scenario i would be more interested in all the feelings and reactions of the characters... also what would command do to keep control over the troops? Because i think some of them would try to run away to survive instead to fight a battle they would surely lose.

Another interesting idea i read in the past was some kind of love story during one of the wars. Which were also a campaign that focus on feelings and thoughts during some problems (love is MIA or you were forced to leave her/him behind etc.)

If you are interested in a love story set during a war which our protagonists are losing really really badly, well, I sure have a campaign to recommend to you!

Offline Darius

Wings of Dawn!

EDIT: Proper post this time.

If I had the time, I'd really like to do something in the Duniverse, maybe something like the Dune Encyclopaedia version of the Butlerian Jihad in space. Jihadist fighters, shunning computer targeting, would probably use rudimentary melange-enhanced powers which serve as something similar (and the HUD elements for that would be pretty fun to design).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:03:00 am by Darius »

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Bless Darius and all His Water. Bless the coming and posting of Him, May His passing cleanse the Code.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
By will alone I set my ship in motion. Press the Will key to proceed.

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken