Author Topic: Your Dream Campaign/Mod/Etc.  (Read 8326 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Your Dream Campaign/Mod/Etc.
That's why I want improved capship AI. :) The current one is worthless even in what it could be useful for, though I've heard RTS script build had that mitigated. It'd be really, really great if capships could, in fact, avoid crashing into things and looking like morons when maneuvering. This can be done, Nexus and most RTSes somehow manage this. Really, better collision avoidance is something that AI needs across the board. Capships would greatly benefit from this, as I've seen low turn rate maneuvering get very glitchy at times. Another thing would be implementing different attack behaviors (better broadside behavior, roll control, per-ship attack range adjustment...). Without that, FS AI simply can't handle big ships.
Also, collision mechanics need improvement. Small ships are always going to crash into capships, but if this was more believable, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Improved AI is fine for the edge cases where you want to leave warships under AI behavior, but it is absolutely imperative that more knobs be added to FRED for fine warship control. I think there is no question that is a higher priority.

Offline Nyarly

• Generic basement-dweller
My dream mod (which may some day come about!) was centered on taking a Terran character throughout their military career.  Start off as a pilot with a pre-Unity planet-state navy, move onto the united GTA (after a possible "Unification War" scenario) and the TVW followed by the GW.  The main character is outside Sol during the node collapse, while the rest of his/her family is trapped in the home system. 

The MC then has to spend the Reconstruction and Capella eras trying to get their life back in order, what with being separated from most of their loved ones by light-years of space.  The few surviving comrades from the GW would make up the rest of the cast (some of whom may end up fighting the MC during those politically-divisive years).  The MC first becomes a ship's CO during the NTF Rebellion and the Second Incursion, and then a fleet commander during the hypothetical post-Capella wars and/or Third Incursion. 

Eventually, the GTVA reunites with Sol, and either the now older (or even elderly) MC gets a nice, happy ending by reuniting with their family, or a bittersweet one that sees them not being able to fully reconnect with said family due to decades of separation.  The MC and their surviving friends have to come to terms with very real alienation, as they are now welcome strangers (but strangers nonetheless) in their own homeland.  To drive this home, I might have a FOURTH Incursion occur which emphasizes the different mindsets of both parties to the Shivan problem. 

Or maybe for maximum pathos/drama, I'd have an Inferno/BP-esque war breakout between Sol and the colonies, forcing the MC to lead a GTVA fleet in conquest of their own people.  I thought about even having the position of "main rival" awarded to one of the MC's siblings, but that seems a little too melodramatic even for this campaign.

I dunno though, it's probably well beyond my ability to craft this without messing the pacing of a multi-decade tale up, or making it all too contrived.  Amongst other issues.

Still, I can DREEEAAAM!
Do not taunt Magic Boulder.

I don't know about dream campaign, but I'm surprised nobody has done an adaption of The Last Starfighter.

I really wanted to see if I could implement a high fidelity capital ship control system where you could manually aim the turrets and manage systems

This. My dream is to play a mod that allows me to pilot a ship like a Cruiser or a Capital ship like the Colossus and manage it's crew and subsystems. Order other ships to strategically position and help to the outcome of a battle.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think our existing capship command missions are as complex as we're going to get until we make major AI breakthroughs and work out a way to do new interface via code or LUA.

The problem with campaigns sometimes is that lack of voice acting really makes it more like an interactive "book" as you are busy trying to read the dailogue to follow story/orders while trying to pilot a ship at the same time! When you hear the sound of your fellow pilots getting worked up etc. that also changes your feeling too ;p  Spoken dailogue helps greatly too but occasionally this will be more like someone reading a book trying to get through all of the text they have to speak in time... :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Voice acting is an extremely difficult process that requires dedication, experience, and organizational tools. The only way we got BP2 voiced was with money and a professional casting director.

Yes that is understandable...sometimes I reckon I could do it but then again I couldn't do all the passionate parts like yelling at the moment ;p Need to get more confidence as verbal communication is one of my greatest inhibitions atm :)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Finding good actors is less an obstacle than generating and communicating scripts and keeping a firm hand on the whole production process.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The only way we got BP2 voiced was with money and a professional casting director.

No kidding?  I thought it was an all-volunteer effort, like ST:R.  Who was the casting director (if you don't mind me asking)?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It was all-volunteer until the last ~10 major roles. BP2's major roles demanded much better acting than any prior campaign.

My dream Mod I suppose would be set in the Mass Effect Universe, Taking place during the First Contact War, During the Reaper War or alternate timeline, or flying with mercs out in the Terminus systems.  No warp out effects, Cap-ship battles with true Artillery and added heat management, not to mention fighting with bullets and disruptor Torpedoes. 

Just give me an Orion, i will take care of the rest :3
It will make every campaign a 1000 times better for me :D

Offline cahdoge

• Is a lubricated bug a butterfly?
Nice Ideas.

Do we know enough about the shivans to make a campaign telling the story of the great war from shivan perspective?
Or to make a shivan campaign?
:drevil:
Understanding do you me?