Author Topic: Having a hard time with installation  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Biowulf

Having a hard time with installation
I feel like an idiot, but here goes. I'm having difficulty using the installer to actually install FSO. I've used the file downloaded from fsoinstaller.com, from here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=86614.0 , and from here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=85435.0. I can't find anything that says simply installer.exe. I've looked at a couple installation guides and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. FSOinstaller.com gives me a .jar file that I open and it's filled with .class and .java files that make no sense to me.

Will you please help me?

Offline Yarn

Re: Having a hard time with installation
Did you install Java? You can't run JAR files without it. Once Java is installed, you should be able to run JAR files by double-clicking them.

You can get Java here: http://www.java.com
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

I know I'm opening myself up here to getting burnt, but when I downloaded the FSO installer and java, it didn't run by clicking on it. I ended up having a buddy of mine open it with a command prompt. After that it was good to go and has mostly been smooth sailing so far.

Offline Biowulf

I know I'm opening myself up here to getting burnt, but when I downloaded the FSO installer and java, it didn't run by clicking on it. I ended up having a buddy of mine open it with a command prompt. After that it was good to go and has mostly been smooth sailing so far.

Do you happen to remember what the command he used was? I just tried to use Java to open the program and it's not working correctly.

try "java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar"

Offline Biowulf

Alrighty, when I try that I get two different error messages: "'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file." and "'java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file"

My command prompt screen starts with "C:\Users\name>" by the way.

Also, just realized I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 8.1 in case that matters.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did you actually install the Java Runtime Environment? Cos you kinda need that. Once that's done, you should be able to just doubleclick the Installer icon and have it run.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Biowulf

I did. When I tried to run the installer a popup box asked me to select which application I wanted to run the program. I went with the basic java application and it didn't work. Not sure if that's what was supposed to happen, but I'm going to assume no.

Alright, let's try something more complex. We're gonna manually add java to your system path.

First: note where on your computer your JRE is located.
Second: go to control panel -> system & security -> system -> advanced system settings
click on "environment variable", find the system variable called "Path", then hit "modify"
Now be careful, you don't want to erase stuff that is in the "variable value" field, instead go to the end of that field (click it, then hit the "end" key on your keyboard), add a ";" then the path to your Java Runtime Environment, (for instance, mine is "H:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin")
Click on OK to close the various windows, open up a command line prompt, enter "java -version" to verify that it is properly installed, this should display something that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
java version "1.7.0_45"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_45-b18)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.45-b08, mixed mode)
Then navigate to wherever FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar is located then try "java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" again.

Offline Biowulf

Ok, so I think that technically worked, but my command prompt says "Error: Unable to access jarfile FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar" I tried to open it by double-clicking on it and my anti-virus popped up saying that a trojan, named Artemis with a bunch of numbers and letters located in my temp files, was detected and quarantined. An installer for something called Linkey popped up as well, which I closed.

Is http://www.fsoinstaller.com/ an outdated place to download the file?

Offline Yarn

Ok, so I think that technically worked, but my command prompt says "Error: Unable to access jarfile FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar"
Before you can run a JAR file (or pretty much any file, for that matter), you must use the cd command to go to the folder where the file is located. In this case, you need the location of FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar. The basic syntax of the cd command looks like this:
cd "[folder that you want to browse to]"
So, for example, if FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar is in C:\Games\FreeSpace2, you want to enter this:
cd "C:\Games\FreeSpace2"
After that, if you didn't get any errors, you should be able to run FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar.

By the way, when you double-click FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar, what program is opening it? If you don't know, then (assuming this works in Windows 8.1) right-click the file, click "Properties," click the "General" tab, and look at the "Opens with:" line. What does it say there?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Biowulf

It works! Thank you everyone! Installing now and it's all going fine.

When I was clicking on it the Open With section has three programs there: Java Control Panel, Java(TM) Platform SE Binary, and Java(TM) Web Start Launcher.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Glad this thread exists!  I was always able to run the installer by clicking the .jar file, but today when I wanted to run it to update itself, it did not know what program to use and I wasn't sure which to use.  I restarted the PC first, then I remembered this thread so searched for it.  While I was searching I reinstalled java, and then windows wanted to open the .jar with 7zip.  When I right clicked to choose the program, I knew from this thread to find jre.  Works perfectly again now!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.