Author Topic: Kaijus..Kaijus come stompin!  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: Kaijus..Kaijus come stompin!
Trashman, you are just comedy gold  :lol:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

I dream of a forum where needless annoying escalations of sarcasm and general irritability soft land and self-contain even before they occur.

I'm sure this dream is possible.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hopes where high
And nice comments were worth posting
I dreamed that etiquette would never die
I dreamed that forumites would be forgiving
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Aesaar

Maybe you should stop coming here just to advertise the company you so fanboyishly adore?
I do believe the general consensus on this board is that Kereberos as a company should have died off after the stunt they pulled with SoTS2. And nobody wants to support a company that pulls crap like that.

This thread serves like literally no purpose other than to get people to the kickstarter page. It's really blatant viral advertisement, especially coming from you.

Spoon...

So if I happen to like a game and/or company I'm automaticvly a blinded fanboy? Let's dismiss someone and belittle him immediately. My opinion doesn't count because you think I'm a fanboy - and you use that term in a derogatory matter. Your very first post and you are directly insulting me.
And you're automaticly an enlightened tower of reason and good taste?
AS if....

I could easily call you a mindless hater and I wouldn't be far from the truth, but is name-calling, snide remarks and cheap shots really the way you want to go? Really?
The only one who can't seem to "let go" or is obsessed doesn't look like me.

This thread, like ANY OTHER KICKSTARTER thread serves to point out and get peoples attention. And as this forums history shows, you would have ZERO problem with another thread like this if it was another company/game. Or another person making it.
So get of your high horse you hypocrite.

You have zero high ground of any kind. Not moral. Not logical. Not ethical.

You're asking us to pledge their money to a company for a new project.  That company's past failures are relevant to whether or not we should be opening our wallets.

I'm not asking you to do anything. I'm just spreading the word.

And b.t.w - Kerberos has multiples games under it's belt. SOTS2 is just one of them.

If the only posts allowed in this thread were the ones saying "oh cool" or variations of that, you should have said so.  Wouldn't have stopped anything, but it would make it clear you're not actually interested in a discussion. 

Calling attention to Kerberos's past history is most definitely relevant when discussing their new kickstarter venture.  Especially when that history is less than stellar (to say the least).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:59:02 pm by Aesaar »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
including that last game they made on kickstarter, it's weird how they've forgotten all of a sudden how to make profits they can reinvest in making more games

That implies they're, uh, making profits.

Kereberos' recent games have been Newgrounds quality, it's true, but this leaves me with another question; how is the company currently staffed? Has it undergone a major internal collapse, fired most of its people? I really don't believe this is the same studio that built SOTS 1, no matter how many patches it took them to fix.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ah Spoon. You never fail to cement my belief that humanity really is a failed species.

Let me put it in simple terms and break it down.
Unlike some people, I never have, nor ever will call down for the death/murder, harakiri and/or loss of job of a person/company just because I didn't like one of their products. Why? Well:

1) Because it's stupid and childish.

2) Because writing off someone should be based on a long history of bad performance, not a single instance or moment. Heck, even EA puts out a good game every once and a while.
(Fun fact: Kereberos made 2 games after SOTS2. They are both good and fun and smaller in scope. If nothing else, it shows they learned their lesson and are staying away from massive projects. Also, they patched SOTS2 and it's a fun game too.)

3) Because "I didn't like their product" is hardly a good reason for hate. There are so many better things out there to waste your hate on. Also, taking things personal is a bad, bad idea. And unfortunately a lot of people did take SOTS2 as a personal insult. Emotional distance is required.
Hell, me and some of the Kerberos staff (the big honcho and their lead writer) have a not-so-stellar relationship. I may have butted heads with them on multiple occasions. I may even hate some things about them.
But I don't let that cloud my judgment about their company or game.

4) Because getting hung up in the past is generally a bad idea. SOTS2 then is not SOTS2 now. Time moves on.

5) Because their games are always different. They innovate with different takes on things and gameplay. That alone is a noteworthy attribute given the sea of clones and the constant complaints of "same old stuff" and "lack of originality". They may be rough around the edges, but they have depth. I respect that and I support that.

6) Because I don't consider the financial ruin of people a proper thing to desire. I don't know about the rest of you, but the image of starving families is not something I ever wish to advocate or cause. Ever.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Aesaar

Just because you happen to think SOTS2 is fun now doesn't mean everyone does.  As for their other games since then, many don't consider those too good either, even if you might.  In light of this, why should Kerberos be given money for this?  What have they done recently that proves they can make this game fun?

"I didn't like their product" is a perfectly valid reason to not be interested in whatever it is they're working on now.  And their treatment of people on their forums is a good reason to hate them.

Games I don't like + company full of people I don't like = company I don't like.   Why should I support anything they do?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:21:21 am by Aesaar »

5) Because their games are always different. They innovate with different takes on things and gameplay. That alone is a noteworthy attribute given the sea of clones and the constant complaints of "same old stuff" and "lack of originality". They may be rough around the edges, but they have depth. I respect that and I support that.

Their last game was a formulaic roguelike, and this one is indistinguishable from the games you'd see on Newgrounds. These people wouldn't know innovation if it slapped them in the face.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I am extremely out of the loop, but even then out of the top of my head there are some small developers I am excited about, like Supergiant, Hello Games, Alexander Bruce, Josh Parnell, etc.

These guys inspire with their passion, extremely good taste, bizarre and marvelous ideas, and real innovative spirit.

Here I see nothing but terribadness dreamt and designed somewhere in the 80's.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Metacritic scores of Kereberos products:
SotS (2006): 6.8, user score 7.1
Fort zombie (2009): Only 10 user reviews (I never heard of this either, but it seems pretty bad) 5.9
Sots 2 (2011): 4.4, user score 4.6
Sots the pit (2013): 6.8, user score 7.6

A track record of ****ty games and at best mediocrity. I'd say the long history of underwhelmingness is right there. In gamedev tycoon you wouldn't even be able to leave the basement with those scores!
Oh wait, better forget all of that and blindly give them money in the hope this kickstarter that has little more than a few screenshots will somehow turn out great. Yup, thats exactly where I want my money to go.

That implies they're, uh, making profits.

Kereberos' recent games have been Newgrounds quality, it's true, but this leaves me with another question; how is the company currently staffed? Has it undergone a major internal collapse, fired most of its people? I really don't believe this is the same studio that built SOTS 1, no matter how many patches it took them to fix.
It's pretty obvious that whatever it is they are putting out now are small projects just to make a quick buck to keep their heads afloat.

Just because you happen to think SOTS2 is fun now doesn't mean everyone does.  As for their other games since then, many don't consider those too good either, even if you might.  In light of this, why should Kerberos be given money for this?  What have they done recently that proves they can make this game fun?

"I didn't like their product" is a perfectly valid reason to not be interested in whatever it is they're working on now.  And their treatment of people on their forums is a good reason to hate them.

Games I don't like + company full of people I don't like = company I don't like.   Why should I support anything they do?
Excellent post this.

Ah Spoon. You never fail to cement my belief that humanity really is a failed species.
Yeah, gotta hate all those people that don't agree with your notion that Kerberos ****s out nothing but the most legendary masterpieces huh?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:48:52 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

Yeah, gotta hate all those people that don't agree with your notion that Kerberos ****s out nothing but the most legendary masterpieces huh?
It looks to me like the only one Trashman has a problem with in this thread is you.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It looks to me like the only one Trashman has a problem with in this thread is you.

I dunno, that homo sapiens are a failed species is pretty encompassing. :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Lorric

I dunno, that homo sapiens are a failed species is pretty encompassing. :P
Heh. But that would also mean including himself in that. :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Metacritic scores of Kereberos products:

Is irrelevant. Metacritic is hardly an accurate judge of anything. (And it's a sad affair that 7+ is considered "average" or "mediocre". Some people obviously never heard of normal distribution.)

And rest assured, if a game you liked was rated no-so-favorably on whatever site/source, you'd dismiss that in an instant. Ratings are only ever brought to bear in a discussion when they favor you - and immediately ignored when they are not.

Masterpieces? Nah, few games deserve such a title.

But fun games. Fort Zombie for example, suffers from some optimization issues and the graphics are undewhelming. Yet it's fun as hell.

SOTS1 remains the best 4x I ever played. Period. SOTS2, despite it's launch, is a worthy successor. Most common complaints I've seen are from people who expect a clone of SOTS1, and are put off by different mechanics. I personally like the more realistic approach to logisitcs and fleet managment.

As for simple games - so what? What is wrong with simpler games? Or simpler graphics. They are games too. And Kickstarter exists to fund ALL projects, not just AA titles that cost tons of $$$.
Small projects have the advantage of smaller costs ... and smaller kickstarter goals.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 08:28:41 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

i think simple games are great, but i think the way kerberos are trying to cash in on them is disgraceful
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Aesaar

Trashman: Your idea of a fun game and mine are different.  I think SotS1 was a passable 4x.  Not bad, but nothing special. Master of Orion 2 was better.  I think SotS2 was a pile of crap though, even patched.  And I'm someone who refrained from playing it until they announced it was in its proper release form because I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  But it never got enjoyable to me.  Their other games have similarly ranged from mediocre to crap.  Because of this track record, I have no faith in their ability to deliver something fun in a new game.

You enjoy their games? Great, go pledge for this.  Others might not share your opinions, and like it or not, the moment you started this thread, you asked others for their opinions.  If you don't agree with what others think, too bad. Deal with it.

If all you wanted was to have your thoughts echoed by Kerberos yes-men, you should have stayed on their forums.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:47:06 am by Aesaar »

Offline Lorric

Trashman: Your idea of a fun game and mine are different.  I think SotS1 was a passable 4x.  Not bad, but nothing special. Master of Orion 2 was better.  I think SotS2 was a pile of crap though, even patched.  And I'm someone who refrained from playing it until they announced it was in its proper release form because I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  But it never got enjoyable to me.  Their other games have similarly ranged from mediocre to crap.  Because of this track record, I have no faith in their ability to deliver something fun in a new game.

You enjoy their games? Great, go pledge for this.  Others might not share your opinions, and like it or not, the moment you started this thread, you asked others for their opinions.  If you don't agree with what others think, too bad. Deal with it.

If all you wanted was to have your thoughts echoed by Kerberos yes-men, you should have stayed on their forums.
This is all correct. But a couple of people have come in with an attitude, and that's just not warranted, is it? The OP is a harmless post about something that interests him. Nothing more.

I don't like the look of Kaijus-a-Gogo either. I might have said so myself if so many hadn't already done so for me to just not see the point. Warning people to take something with a pinch of salt due to the dodgy track record of the company involved is a fine and maybe even noble thing to do also, but there's more here than just a simple disagreement about taste/quality of games and companies.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I feel this is waaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.  End of the day, trashcan still has a right to post topics he feels may have been to interest to the board. This doesn't contravene any rules does it?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

None of us has suggested it is. We haven't actually asked you to remove the topic.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, Trashman has every right to post this topic.

But PhantomHoover, Spoon, Aesaar et al also have every right to voice their opinions on it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns