Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 4474 times)

Hey guys, some I'm interested as to what is the general speed of the ships going to be like.
For instance I'm under the impression the ships will be faster than those in vanilla Freespace but how much faster. Will it be like flying in fast forward or will it be more reasonable?
I guess its a little subjective.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The non-overclocked top speeds of fighters are in the range of 150-230 (TIE bomber and A-wing, respectively). Usually the slower ships are able to overclock their engines more with ETS than the faster ones though.

We've wanted it to be as fast as possible, while still keeping fighter-to-fighter combat doable and enjoyable. If it's too slow then things look dull and wrong when approaching or flying by a capship takes a minute, and if it's too fast then dogfighting becomes impossible (or extremely annoying).

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about this at first.  Having experienced it first hand, I can tell you the execution is extremely well done.  It feels very fast, but not so much that you feel at any time out of control.  It makes dogfighting a very different experience than vanilla Freespace or the old X-Wing games, but with the computer aided targeting system it works fabulously.  The whole thing just gels so well - it's the most fun I've ever had playing a space sim.  You might say...exhilarating.

Offline zookeeper

It feels very fast, but not so much that you feel at any time out of control.

Unless you're diverting all your A-wing's energy to engines. Then you're flying like this:

:cool:

:eek2:

:shaking:
:bump:

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
It feels very fast, but not so much that you feel at any time out of control.

Unless you're diverting all your A-wing's energy to engines. Then you're flying like this:

:cool:

:eek2:

:shaking:
:bump:

Which is actually kinda funny since collision damage isn't modeled very well yet.  So you can be speeding along at like 400mph and smack head-on into a capital ship and just sort of bounce off with maybe 1/3 of your shield gone.

"Too late!"
*A-wing bounces off the window*
"Well, I guess not then..."

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

Offline Lorric

Yeah, I got a kick out of that as well. *claps* :D

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Wait, you can have collision damage not pierce shields?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Thanks for the reply Zookeeper,
Looking forward to the release  :yes:
Been a bit skeptical about high speeds and FS after another mod I got did it and it just felt like you bumped the time compression up. I mean the capital ships were moving like fighters almost and running rings around each other. Looked abit silly personally.

Offline zookeeper

Our capships certainly aren't agile or fast, and even the fighters aren't very quick to turn; the feel we've tried to go for is that they're fast, but turning is slower and doing a sharp turn cuts your speed a fair amount and has a bit of newtonian slide to it. I think it's a very enjoyable flight model once you get a feel for the limitations of your ship.

To be honest, I was a bit skeptical about this at first.  Having experienced it first hand, I can tell you the execution is extremely well done.  It feels very fast, but not so much that you feel at any time out of control.  It makes dogfighting a very different experience than vanilla Freespace or the old X-Wing games, but with the computer aided targeting system it works fabulously.  The whole thing just gels so well - it's the most fun I've ever had playing a space sim.  You might say...exhilarating.
^^^^ THIS. This is what I've been wanting in a Star Wars flight combat game since I first played the original X-wing back in '93. AND we'll be able to yaw AND roll simultaneously... glorious. Oh-so-glorious. *tears of joy*

In other words, flight combat will be much more like the films. :pimp:
Chance favors the prepared mind.

Our capships certainly aren't agile or fast, and even the fighters aren't very quick to turn; the feel we've tried to go for is that they're fast, but turning is slower and doing a sharp turn cuts your speed a fair amount and has a bit of newtonian slide to it. I think it's a very enjoyable flight model once you get a feel for the limitations of your ship.

That sounds like its going to be really really good, I guess thats the key to fast fighters, slow down the turning speed.

There was a similar feature in X-Wing Alliance as far as I remember. The best turning speed could be achieved by setting your throttle to 1/3 or 2/3. Turning with full throttle took painfully long.

Long-time lurker. First-time poster. I've been thinking recently that the thing most missing from the Lawrence Holland games (and really every space combat sim) is a more WWII or WWI feel to the dogfighting. Most of the space combat in the movies is based on WWII footage IIRC. I'm not sure how the flight model should work, but what has been described above certainly gets much closer to a WWII feel: fast ships, slow(er) turning, Newtonian effects. In TIE Fighter it was simply too easy to aim at enemy fighters. In the movies (especially Ep. IV) it's apparent that getting a lock on an enemy fighter is hard because the ships tend to side-slip more. It also seems to be much harder to maneuver out of an enemy's sights completely. Anyone who's flown WWII or WWI simulators knows that aiming is very hard to do, and once someone gets on your tail it's very hard to get them off your tail. I look forward to trying out the first release, but it sounds like the team is very close to replicating that WWII feel.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Long-time lurker. First-time poster. I've been thinking recently that the thing most missing from the Lawrence Holland games (and really every space combat sim) is a more WWII or WWI feel to the dogfighting. Most of the space combat in the movies is based on WWII footage IIRC. I'm not sure how the flight model should work, but what has been described above certainly gets much closer to a WWII feel: fast ships, slow(er) turning, Newtonian effects. In TIE Fighter it was simply too easy to aim at enemy fighters. In the movies (especially Ep. IV) it's apparent that getting a lock on an enemy fighter is hard because the ships tend to side-slip more. It also seems to be much harder to maneuver out of an enemy's sights completely. Anyone who's flown WWII or WWI simulators knows that aiming is very hard to do, and once someone gets on your tail it's very hard to get them off your tail. I look forward to trying out the first release, but it sounds like the team is very close to replicating that WWII feel.

I'm quite certain you'll be impressed.  I honestly can't wait to be able to release this so all of you can experience how fun it is.  We're getting closer to a first release, so stay tuned!  And if you want to contribute, we still have some voice assets you can help out with!

I hope is not too fast... my star trek fixing mod... had a lot of issues when I made fighters too fast trying to get the st feel...

I tried playing - couldn't hit anything with my guns. Mind you, I played Freespace 2 on easy difficulty. And that was hard.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You use Fury AI?