Author Topic: Series of issues (Windows 8)  (Read 4471 times)

Series of issues (Windows 8)
So I'll start off by saying I really don't have a damn clue what I'm doing. I read the guides and instructions and the installation went perfectly the first time, but I accidentally let a windows update go through which absolutely ruined this laptop's performance. I did a system restore afterwards and tried to reinstall everything, and nothing has worked right.

I was able to bring up the launcher, and tried running fs2_open_3_7_0 with the 2014 MediaVPs with no success. Though running the game without the mods runs perfectly well.
As I boot the launcher/game, a few things pop-up: At launcher startup: Failed EnumAdapterModes in UpdateAntialiasList.  Any time I try to change the mods I'd like to use, this pops up: Failed to set graphic mode
Running with fs2_open_3_7_0, I can hear the opening cutscene, but keeps me at the desktop. Everytime I try to switch to FS2, it just puts me back at the desktop.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(I did attach the debug log to this post. I think)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Series of issues (Windows 8)
fs2_open_3_7_0 with the 2014 MediaVPs
The 2014 MediaVPs require a newer version of FSO. Try 3.7.2 RC4.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

fs2_open_3_7_0 with the 2014 MediaVPs
The 2014 MediaVPs require a newer version of FSO. Try 3.7.2 RC4.

Mmk well that solves part of the problem. Though now, the resolution isn't correct, and the same two pop-ups still show up, meaning I can't actually change the resolution before launching the game. The dropdown menu is just blank.

Offline Parias

A friend running Windows 8 and playing FS2 at a LAN party literally just ran into this very same problem today.

Run the launcher as admin, and use Windows Vista / 7 / whatever compatibility mode. Should fix it.

A friend running Windows 8 and playing FS2 at a LAN party literally just ran into this very same problem today.

Run the launcher as admin, and use Windows Vista / 7 / whatever compatibility mode. Should fix it.

Sweet. Still getting some of the same pop-ups, but it looks like the resolution is fixed. Thanks!

But I don't think I should still be getting these pop-ups.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
But I don't think I should still be getting these pop-ups.
And what are "these pop-ups"?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

I recently installed on Windows 8. I was getting the same problem pop ups:

"Failed EnumAdapterModes in UpdateAntialiasList"

"Failed to Set Graphics Mode"

It was because I needed to run install and run from the wxlauncher and then update my video card driver.

Not sure if you tried either of these fixes.

It was because I needed to run install and run from the wxlauncher and then update my video card driver.

Not sure if you tried either of these fixes.

Could you be a little clearer here? I know my video card is up to date, but I don't exactly know what you mean by "run install and run from the wxlauncher" (is wxlauncher the one given to us during the FSO installation? or some different launcher?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
The WxLauncher is not given by the installer because it has a separate installer.  Installer 5.5g comes with the FSO installer.

Camelpockets, did you get the wxlauncher figured out? Windows 8 can't run the launcher set up during the FSO install.

Go to link below and install mxlauncher into your Freespace folder. Once you're done, you'll find a mxlauncher folder, open it, open the bin folder and you will find the launcher you need to run the game in Windows 8.

All this is based on my experience getting it on my Windows 8 laptop a few days ago. Hope it helps.

http://code.google.com/p/wxlauncher/downloads/list?can=3

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken