Author Topic: Fundamental Valve Dishonesty  (Read 4788 times)

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Re: Fundamental Valve Dishonesty
But what's unreasonable about the latter?

The easily available system requirements contradict the fact they are obfuscating the size of the necessary download? That any idiot in this day and age should know nothing is actually 1.5mb?

I don't think that makes it unreasonable. The information is still misleading if there's two conflicting hints about the size and nothing states the actual size. It's still bad design to advertise a download of non-trivial size without saying how much you actually need to download. Even if you agree that anyone who even considers it a possibility that it might actually be 1.5MB as advertised is an idiot, the issue of the actual size not being mentioned at all still exists.

It'd take a lot of convincing to make me believe that this isn't being made into an argument purely because the thread started with a hyperbolic rant. :doubt: Can't we just all say that "yeah not mentioning the size of the download kinda sucks but luckily it's not a big deal at all" when that's obviously something everyone agrees with?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'd agree that it kind of sucked if it wasn't bog-standard industry practice in the present day.  I mean, Flash uses an online installer.  Java uses an online installer.  Adobe Reader uses an online installer.  Hell, Windows itself has used an online installer since, what, the year 2000 or so?  Any widely-deployed corporate product is going to use an online installer, because it's infinitely more convenient than having to upload a new version of the client every single time you make a tiny tweak somewhere.  Really, anyone complaining about this miniscule amount of bandwidth in the year 2014 is most likely living in a place where gaming effectively is the least of their concerns.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Only it isn't saying Steam is 1.5MB Zookeeper, so there is no conflicting hints there
It's blatantly an installer you're downloading, not the program itself

That and I'd imagine Steam to vary in size often due to the updates, of which there isn't far and few of them
"No"

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
And they may not in fact be obfuscating anything. The Steam application goes through changes. What's 126.5mb today might be 157.7mb tomorrow only to go to 110.7mb next week.

So they don't say what the size is, merely that you download a VERY small installer that sets up running the Steam Client, which then updates to whatever size the current version is.

Which based on the listed disk space requirements means that it COULD very easily take at least 1gb.

And frankly, my apologies, but this has turned into a well kicked dead horse. I'd rather not have to lock it, so how about we just let it sink?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd rather address the stupidity of online installers in general since we're on the subject, actually.

I'd agree that it kind of sucked if it wasn't bog-standard industry practice in the present day.  I mean, Flash uses an online installer.  Java uses an online installer.  Adobe Reader uses an online installer.  Hell, Windows itself has used an online installer since, what, the year 2000 or so?  Any widely-deployed corporate product is going to use an online installer, because it's infinitely more convenient than having to upload a new version of the client every single time you make a tiny tweak somewhere.  Really, anyone complaining about this miniscule amount of bandwidth in the year 2014 is most likely living in a place where gaming effectively is the least of their concerns.

I've already pointed out that I have a crappy home connection but can get easy access to better ones so I pretty much refute your entire argument that you can't game on a poor connection. Yeah, you can't play online games sometimes but I don't particularly care for online play.

As for the prevalence of online installers, I've already made it fairly clear that people should be shot for that one. :p I think it's quite ridiculous that in order to install Flash on three different computers I'd have to download it three times or spend ages looking through their page for an offline installer (Hint, I've never found the ****ing thing even when I have looked. They've done quite a good job of burying it). Java may use an online installer but you can find a download link for the offline installer on the same page. That's a great solution for the problem for the customer.

I can understand the logic of wanting to make sure the person using your program has the most recent version, and I can understand why the company might not want to support several different installers, but why not simply have the installer download a file which can then be reused if you have to install on another PC?

Why isn't that a standard option? It's not exactly ****ing hard to do and it makes your customers lives much easier. It also saves you bandwidth and therefore money. Hell, why not allow the customer to use an online installer to download but not install on one PC and then move the files to the PC you do want.

Even if you don't have multiple PCs this approach would still be a good one. How often have you been in the middle of an online install and wanted to switch off, reset or do something else with the PC. If you're just downloading you could just say "**** it" and cancel. Most people are far more reluctant to do that when the program is actually installing something. Doing things this way would completely avoid that issue.

I don't particularly want to single out Steam for this particular piece of idiocy. Like you said, everyone does it. That doesn't make it a smart thing to do though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:20:33 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
My usual solution to this is to make backups after I installed a game through Steam. Gives me a neat package I can just put on an external HDD and use to install on other machines.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Like I said, I'm not singling out Steam. You can't do that with most installers. And I suspect you can't do it for Steam itself, only the games, right?

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
How often have you been in the middle of an online install and wanted to switch off, reset or do something else with the PC.

Never actually. If I'm installing something, I've generally set aside the time for it to run its course
Or I let it do its thing, I fall asleep, and set my computer to auto turn off in "x" amount of time

Patience is a virtue etc
"No"

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Granted, unlike Steam initially, you can transport the results of the FSO installer from one machine to another very easily.

But if you're on that kind of a connection, why would you be buying a multi-gigabyte game on a digital distribution platform anyway? Never mind the installer, how are you even getting the games?

I'm pretty sure teh Googles can tell you a way to transfer most if not all of the downloaded Steam content (incl. games) to a new computer via a flash drive / writable disk.  I've done it before, just not sure if that included the Steam update, but I *think* that can be done as well.

EDIT: For an easy start, try this:

from http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/12695/how-do-i-move-steam-games-to-a-new-computer-without-re-downloading-them (post #4)

http://www.techmixer.com/steam-mover-move-installed-windows-applications-drives/

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:51:19 am by jr2 »

Like I said, I'm not singling out Steam. You can't do that with most installers. And I suspect you can't do it for Steam itself, only the games, right?

I think it works fairly well if you clean-install steam and zip it.
Although that's a bypass, obviously.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
You can copy the Steam folder anywhere you like and it'll work without re-running the installer.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well that's actually pretty good then. Doesn't excuse needing the online installer in the first place but it's at least a step in the right direction.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not defending any practices at all, but like deathfun, I can't recall a single instance where I've felt the need to restart a machine while it was in the middle of an online install.  (That's of course discounting something like a hefty game download on Steam, but that's a different situation as it's a trivial matter to pause and resume said downloads.)  Your average program that falls into this category, Steam included, is on the order of 100 MB or so.  Even on the lower side of modern connections, that's what, 3 or 4 minutes at most?  In my usual experience the installation proper tends to take longer than what was required to download the data in the first place.  I can certainly appreciate that your situation may be different, and I agree that links to an offline/mass-deploy version should be much easier to find, but in the year 2014 I don't think it's asking too much for the vast majority of end users to wait a few minutes for a download.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And in the West you might be correct. But my basic point is that these features could easily be built into the online installer and make everyone's life easier.

I look at Flash as a great example of how not to do it. Not only does it only have an online installer, but the installer deletes itself soon after it starts downloading, regardless of whether it actually succeeds. If it fails you now have to find the installer again before you can retry. So if you download the installer, go away and look at a bunch of websites and when you come back it can't find the Flash website you have to start again.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
F*** java.

Seriously.
It friggin bothers me with "Java Update available" pop-up's ever day. IT'S ALREADY UPDATED!  Not only that, it pops up TWICE! I got two java updates in my tray!
What idiot wrote the updater code?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Online installers seem to be an annoying and frustrating necessity.  However, I think we can all agree that a very simple fix for this would be a checkmark in the online installer that says:

"Preserve files from this download and installation for future installation or distribution to other machines without an Internet connection."

How ****ing hard would that be?  Seriously?  You're downloading them to a temp folder anyway, just give us a bloody pointer of where to place it!

Oh, and kara, the bloody awful Flash installer constantly gets interrupted by my firewall when trying to update it on my work machine; I've found googling Flash offline installer usually gets me to the right place.  The Adobe website is utterly useless.  They used to provide a link to the offline installer under the alternate OS link, but it was gone last time I looked.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If they did that, and gave you a final "Proceed with installation" after actually downloading but before installing, the tech literate amongst us could even use the connection on a faster work machine to download stuff we could then take home without even needing to install on the work machine. You could just back out of the install after downloading the data you need.

I still really can't see why companies don't do this. That bandwidth does cost them extra money. Even saving 1% of Flash downloads is a quite enormous amount of bandwidth once you add it up.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
F*** java.

Seriously.
It friggin bothers me with "Java Update available" pop-up's ever day. IT'S ALREADY UPDATED!  Not only that, it pops up TWICE! I got two java updates in my tray!
What idiot wrote the updater code?

id like java more if it would clean up after itself, how many java developer plugns does firefox need? and i think the only thing i use it for is the arduino ide (why i still put up with its infuriating text editor is beyond me).  i also dont like that it asks to instal a bunch of things i dont want each time it updates. piggyback ware needs to die.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
id like java more if it would clean up after itself, how many java developer plugns does firefox need? and i think the only thing i use it for is the arduino ide (why i still put up with its infuriating text editor is beyond me).  i also dont like that it asks to instal a bunch of things i dont want each time it updates. piggyback ware needs to die.

This.  A million times this.  Any utility platform that tries to install bloatware is highly suspect.  I only have Java installed because it's required for several Cdn gov services, most importantly tax account access.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]