Author Topic: DreamWeaver question  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
DreamWeaver question
How in the HELL do I get this damned thing to upload a site so that it matches image location in it's html to the image locations on the host ? ?

Sorry ...getting frustrated trying to figure this damn confusing hunk of programing out.

*sigh*

I knew I should have never let Netobjects get fubared lol
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Best way, have the images in the same folder, or a subfolder that you upload at the same time, as the webpage you're making. Dreamweaver only records a full location if what it wants is in a file above or something- otherwise, it just links to the image name itself or the subfolder name and the image tag.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
No, there's an option somewhere so you can either link files relative to the site-root or link them relative to the page.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
NO, just put the images in the proper directory!!!:p

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Thanks ...I'd never have thought bout that,...too busy fighting the urge to toss the cpu out the window :D
Warlock

Offline delta_7890

• Your Node Is Mine
Originally posted by Warlock
Thanks ...I'd never have thought bout that,...too busy fighting the urge to toss the cpu out the window :D

Saw someone do that once.  Pretty funy, until I realized it was my computer.  
--;;
~Delta

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by an0n
No, there's an option somewhere so you can either link files relative to the site-root or link them relative to the page.

it's possible, but remember that Dreamweaver is supposed to be used to MANAGE your site and its HTML, image, etc. files... so i'll bet you haven't even delved into that part of it

i took a course in that crap in school, took 6 weeks to complete it, and i got a B on it... although i still know nothing about it (it's been half a year)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Yea I can agree it's a pain in the tail . I MUCH prefered NetObjects Fusion. Going to check out Go Live by Adobe.

Just seems these days for the most part you're gotta have a college degree to understand these damned programs lol
Warlock

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
if you're REALLY serious about getting it done and you've already done a lot of work, what you could do is make it view the HTML code (there's a button, near the top left i belive, or bottom left, that divides the screen in two... one frame shows HTML the other shows the actual page... so you can edit one of the two, and it will display in the other)

copy all the HTML code, and paste it into a program like Word.  
Let's say it's linking images to your hard drive, when it's supposed to link to an image inside the same folder as the HTML page... let's say it's linking to:  "C:\windows\desktop\newwebpage\*whatever.JPG*"

forget the actual filename... that will stay the same on the server, but do a 'find and replace'... and in the 'find' type in:

C:\windows\desktop\newwebpage\

and in the replace, type in nothing, then do the 'find and replace' thing, and it will remove the new path, and will link now to "*whatever.JPG*"... therefore as long as the image is the same format, file name, and placed in the same folder as the HTML file, you'll be OK

get it?

if you don't, let us know

Oh... and if for some reason or another the 'find and replace' thing doesn't work, try putting a 'space' in the 'replace' section...

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
I was able to get the image problem solved by Stryke's first post. I'm just not too happy with Dreamweaver's interface and how it works.
Warlock

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
I'm glad you got your problem fixed...

Dreamweaver can be a very useful tool once you get to know it...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Warlock
Yea I can agree it's a pain in the tail . I MUCH prefered NetObjects Fusion. Going to check out Go Live by Adobe.

Just seems these days for the most part you're gotta have a college degree to understand these damned programs lol

In general I hate WYSIWYG HTML programs - it simply isn't the type of coding language that translates gracefully into a visual interface. I do all my HTML work (no, not in Notepad - sorry :p) in Homesite, which has served me well since v2.5.

Anyways, I never tried Fusion, so I can't speak about that, but I have tried GoLive and Dreamweaver. I much preferred GoLive, and was actually able to get some decent coding done in it. Although I couldn't forgive either GoLive or Dreamweaver for using incredibly obtuse compilations of code to accomplish the simplest things. Oh well - HTML is FUN! :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
one time i condensed 5 pages of Front Page (not sure what version... 5!?) code into within one page by simply editing the HTML with notepad, and removing all the crap it puts in...

more useless HTML means longer loading time :(

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Stealth
more useless HTML means longer loading time :(

Even worse that loading time is the server bandwidth: 5000 pageviews * 5kb = 25 Mb, whereas 5000 pageviews * 1kb = 5 Mb - when it all is added up, you get quite a lot of savings.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill