Author Topic: GOG - free Mount & Blade and The Witcher 2  (Read 2371 times)

GOG - free Mount & Blade and The Witcher 2
For free:
Mount & Blade (~48h)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (after collecting 7 stamps in 7 days)

http://www.gog.com/news/2014_drmfree_big_fall_sale
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:14:20 pm by tomimaki »

Offline Lorric

Re: GOG - free Mount & Blade and The Witcher 2
Thank you. Got Mount and Blade and the first stamp. :)

Offline LHN91

Another thanks - Picked up Mount & Blade and the first stamp myself, and may very well spend some good money over the next while.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Goddammit, there's not nearly enough time between these gargantuan sales everywhere!

Offline Lorric

I grabbed To The Moon for £1.29. It's up for that price for 2 more hours. After hearing so much praise for it there's no way I could ignore it for such a paltry sum.

So the stamp thing has paid off for GOG already.

Offline Lorric

I've seen Nexus: The Jupiter Incident mentioned on here more than once. It's up on the flash sale right now if anyone's interested. 79% off, £1.29.

Offline Lorric

So has anyone actually played their free copy of Mount and Blade yet? I've been thoroughly enjoying it.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Had M&B for years, still love it here and then. Fawning over the M&B2 engine previews.

Offline Lorric

Had M&B for years, still love it here and then. Fawning over the M&B2 engine previews.
So I'm guessing you'll have those that followed? Do you think I should grab anything while GOG is still in sale mode? Do the sequels improve on the original?

I had a pretty epic adventure yesterday. I was behind enemy lines (I'm a vassal with the Vaegirs) who are doing very badly in this war due to being beat up on by two other superior factions. I was only there due to having gone around a bunch of towns picking up heroes for my party and picking up goods to trade) when I encountered one of my ally Lords in battle on the way back. So what was supposed to be a simple trip back to sell my trade goods turned into this epic fighting retreat with my ally's army (who were trying to get back after the rest of the ally armies got crushed) and we faced five separate armies that were larger than our own individually but capable of being beaten together. We kept picking up prisoners these enemy armies had had in tow to replenish our losses. I have this really motley crew army now because of the variety of prisoners they had.

M&B Warband improves over the original in several ways. Warband is really the way the original should have been.

You can probably skip Fire and Sword, unless you're really interested in that period of history or really enjoy the thought of having firearms.
And Napoleonic Wars is multiplayer only, and similar in gameplay to Fire and Sword. I'm not sure why it was DLC for Warband and not Fire and Sword...

EDIT: Viking Conquest??? Ooooh, neat looking.

Offline Lorric

If you get the Fire and Sword expansion, does it impose the firearms on the main game or can you play separately with and without them?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If you get the Fire and Sword expansion, does it impose the firearms on the main game or can you play separately with and without them?
It uses the same engine as Warband, but assuming it hasn't drastically changed since it first came out, it installs as a separate game; it's not actually an expansion (well, I guess the term "standalone expansion" might apply).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Lorric

Thanks. Something like Rome Total War Barbarian Invasion perhaps.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
**** I missed this and thus missed my chance to get Witcher 2 for free because not enough days for stamps D:

Grumble grumble grumble
"No"

Offline Lorric

Well, the Mount and Blade bundle is up for grabs for just under the next 48 hours. I'll end up with the useless Napoleonic Wars, but it's still cheaper than buying the other two separately. It would have been £9 and change at 50% off, it's £7.58 if you get them separately at 60% off, and it's just £6.37 if you get the whole package at £75% off. I'm going to pick them up. So now, if you haven't done it already, I'd say now's definitely the time to try out your free copy of Mount and Blade.

tomimaki, I'd like to thank you again for posting this thread, and introducing me to a game I've been hooked on for the last few days like I haven't been hooked on a game for a long time.

Glad someone likes this game. Still I didn't find time to launch it.   :P

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
obtained free witcher 2 :D.  came close though because I forgot to collect stamp a couple of days.  i bought 1 last steam sale when it was like a buck and a half, not knowing anything about the series and hoping it turns out to be a high mileage game like skyrim, which i bought under pretty much the same circumstances.  haven't tried it yet.
I like to stare at the sun.