Author Topic: New Pilot on board.  (Read 6808 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This isn't working. Disabling it is proving to be impossible, and I'm getting tired of the disorienting effect of subspace. I ordered everyone to disable the Lucifer, but we only managed to get the first engine down to 30% before it finally reached Sol. To add insult to injury, I'm playing this on Very Easy.

You're not supposed to disable it.  You're supposed to destroy the four reactors.  Delta will follow its own orders, so you just have to keep the fighters off them (as well as yourself).

And you might find this surprising, but raising the difficulty level causes your wingmen to fight better.  As long as you can keep yourself alive, you might find it easier.

Edit: I'm disappointed. It worked, but I heard nothing about the collapse of the jump node. I guess I need to play Silent Threat: Reborn?

The ending cutscene of FS1 alludes to it.  The briefings of both Silent Threat and Silent Threat: Reborn describe it more clearly.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
In terms of graphics card, any midrange card manufactured in the past few years (Like the Radeon 57xx series, 67xx series, 78xx series or nVidia GeForce 4xx or 5xx series) that has support for DirectX 10 and 11 will be sufficiently powerful. CPU-wise, any Intel i5 or i7 or AMD FX-series chip is sufficiently powerful.
Honestly, you can even get by with a lot less than this.  I have a hideously ancient box with a Radeon 4670 and a Pentium 4(!) processor, and it's able to handle FSO with the vast majority of the bells and whistles enabled.  You'd start to run into a hard compatibility limit with a few of the cutting-edge engine features, though.

This isn't working. Disabling it is proving to be impossible, and I'm getting tired of the disorienting effect of subspace. I ordered everyone to disable the Lucifer, but we only managed to get the first engine down to 30% before it finally reached Sol. To add insult to injury, I'm playing this on Very Easy.

You're not supposed to disable it.  You're supposed to destroy the four reactors.  Delta will follow its own orders, so you just have to keep the fighters off them (as well as yourself).

I know I'm not supposed to disable it. As I said before in this post, I decided to do that because it was recommended to do so here:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Good_Luck

Again:

Also note that there is an alternative—and way cooler—way to complete the mission; disable the Lucy and eliminate all hostiles. With the Lucy disabled, you'll have all the time in the world to take her out. Lucy will spit out a lot of fighters before her innards are depleted. After all is quiet, proceed to eliminate the crippled behemoth as you would any other huge chunk of enemy metal. Please make sure you do not destroy the five reactors, just smash her to pieces. If you destroy the reactors, you will not receive that fabled Lucy kill. It'll inflate your ego to titanic proportions when you check your kill stats afterwards and it says "Lucifer: 1".

So, no, I'm not stupid. lol I was just trying to see if I can get the Lucifer kill.

And you might find this surprising, but raising the difficulty level causes your wingmen to fight better.  As long as you can keep yourself alive, you might find it easier.

If I feel like trying it again, then I might do that.

Edit: I'm disappointed. It worked, but I heard nothing about the collapse of the jump node. I guess I need to play Silent Threat: Reborn?

The ending cutscene of FS1 alludes to it.  The briefings of both Silent Threat and Silent Threat: Reborn describe it more clearly.

Yeah, they do. I was expecting it to be mentioned at the end of FS1 though. That's all. It's no big deal now though because I saw what I wanted to see. I've moved on already to seeing if I can get Descent 1 and 2 working. It looks like it's going to be a little bit more work than it was to get FreeSpace working, but I feel that it will be worth it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 04:51:29 pm by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yeah, they do. I was expecting it to be mentioned at the end of FS1 though. That's all.
I thought "all the jump points from Earth are gone" was pretty explicit, myself.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yeah, they do. I was expecting it to be mentioned at the end of FS1 though. That's all.
I thought "all the jump points from Earth are gone" was pretty explicit, myself.

Alright, so apparently I missed some dialogue.
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Good morning all. :nod: It's Monday morning and I'm back here at work. :sigh:

OK TwoCables, I'll tell you what worked for me. Give me some time to compose some kind of intelligent instructions and I'll try to post them later today.

By the way. Wrong attitude toward FS1.  It should be to become it's master. I know how frustrating gaming can be. BELIEVE me I know.

We'll all figure it out together. :yes:

SpaceAce.

O.K. Here is what worked for me.

The premise for this mission is to kill the Lucifer by using harbinger bombs to destroy it’s reactors.

Here 's the thinking outside the box part:  LEAVE THE BOMBERS BEHIND. :eek: :wtf: :shaking:  It’s just too easy for bombs and bombers to be shot out of space, but a Prometheus cannon cannot be stopped. The idea here is to mass as many cannons as you can against any reactor, ONE reactor at a time.

1.    Equip yourself with a Valkyrie  fighter. You’ll need the speed as you are the primary fighter cover for this mission.
2.   Designate one other wing as fighter cover and equip them with Apollo fighters as they carry more missiles and equip them with Interceptor missiles.
3.   Equip the rest of the group with as many Hercules fighters as you can as they carry more cannons and equip them with a mix of Interceptor and Phoenix 5 missiles.

And everyone gets Prometheus cannons all around.

4.   As you make your run in to the Lucifer, tell your fighter cover (extra Toths sent to help you included) to protect the group but ignore the Lucifer. That way they’ll attack enemy fighters only.
And tell the rest of the group to target the first reactor.
5.   Now you can race out ahead and kill as many enemy fighters as you can until the group reaches the Lucifer. Hope you’re a good pilot.
6.   Once the hole group reaches the Lucifer, it’s up to you to use your speed to kill as many enemy fighters as possible and if you can get ahead of the game and catch them as they come out of the fighter bays, so much the better, but you MUST keep track of the groups progress with each reactor as once they destroy one, they will do nothing until you tell them to go on to the next one and you will have lost some time. Keep the fighters off your group and keep them busy.

Be prepared to tell another wing to ignore the Lucifer and go chase fighters if you get behind but get them right back on the Lucifer when your space is clear. Then as fast as you can, you should position yourself to jump on the next group of fighters coming out of the fighter bays. By the way, you are never, NEVER flying in a straight line but changing direction constantly to avoid getting hit by turret fire.

If you want, you can try different things like using  Urea bombers equipped with disruptors and stiletto bombs but now you have the basic idea.

And if you haven’t learned how to use the hot keys, do so first as they make giving all the different orders so much faster and easier. And as we all know, time counts here.

When you do kill the Lucifer, the ending sequence and game narrator will pull the whole story together and tell you what the Shevins are all about. I think the game tells one H#!! of a story and everyone who plays FS2 should play FS1 to get the background history of the game.

So go give this a few tries and report back here how you did.

You have your orders.

SpaceAce.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I kinda like using an Athena with two banks of Stiletto's, take out the one reactor that Delta wing isn't targeting then shoot down fighters. The 2nd bank of Stiletto's is mostly insurance in case Delta miss a reactor :D
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Always fun to see Shivan fighters squirm without their fat shields protecting them. :yes:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Why yes, dragon fighters with more energy to allocate to weapons and engines :banghead: :nono:

Here's the carl light show...

Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Good to have some new traffic around here. Welcome to our fun little corner of the 'net. Enjoy the spoils, there's plenty of fancy mods here.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Thank god i don't know how to make a hot carl mod for fso ;7
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.