Author Topic: About ship types  (Read 4980 times)

Offline Solatar

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but i think that the ship types (i.e. Cruisers, destroyers, etc..) are wrong for the ships. The light cruisers like the Aten, Cain, and Fenris, are like gunboats. the heavy cruiser like the Lilith, and Leviathan, are like destroyers.  And the destroyers are like cruisers. What's up with this? Actually, the Destroyers are a cross between carriers and cruisers.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Yeah, it's been discussed several times. I think the FS ones are more appropriate though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
It wouldn't do to change them now though. That would just be confusing.

Offline Kitsune

Yup, old subject matter.

It was mentioned that the ships were designed after WWI designations in terms of power where the cruiser was often a supporting ship to help cover against smaller ones.
Where the destroyer often carried medium sized weapons, though mostly torpedoes.  Which made up for it's smaller size.

However, battle-cruisers were still the next step below a battleship, right up till the end of the wars in the asian theaters (korea, vietnam).

By then tactics had changed so much that the Battleship and battle-cruiser didn't have the same value as it had before due to aircraft-carriers being able to launch fighters and torpedoe planes from a hundred miles outside of their weapons ranges.

So now all we have are destroyers, cruisers, 'tenders, carriers, and the nuclear subs parked in our enemies back yards...
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Solatar

You absolutely right. It would be FAR to confusing to change them. But I like the Freespace ones better anyway.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Let's face it...what sounds better to you?

Destroyer - built to blow stuff up.

Cruiser - built to mince around the place at a slow constant velocity.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Destroyer just screams 'pitiful little pansy ship' to me.

Its all about background. If you don't have a naval background, sure, 'destroyer' sounds cool. But if you do have one, even a bit of one, 'battleship' conjures up images of raw power and destroyers are just those things you use for hunting subs (or as submarine decoys, if you're a bubblehead).
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I like the FS designations. Destroyers destroy, cruisers cruise, fighters fight, and bombers bomb. Nothing wrong there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
I like the FS designations. Destroyers destroy, cruisers cruise, fighters fight, and bombers bomb. Nothing wrong there.

:lol:

And what do corvettes do?  ;)
your source code slave

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
carve-et up ? (fs2 box)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor

Originally posted by Vasudan Admiral
carve-et up ? (fs2 box)

Heh, too true...I personally like the fs2 designations despite being somewhat off; destroyer just sounds more buff than cruiser.

Offline Petrarch of the VBB

• Koala-monkey
I much prefer the Homeworld system of ship classes, with corvettes being only slightly larger than fighters, and heavy cruisers being the largest, but then I am slightly TAPped, hahaha.
Terrible, isn't it.:D

Offline RandomTiger

I wish I had some yogurt

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by mikhael
Destroyer just screams 'pitiful little pansy ship' to me.

Its all about background. If you don't have a naval background, sure, 'destroyer' sounds cool. But if you do have one, even a bit of one, 'battleship' conjures up images of raw power and destroyers are just those things you use for hunting subs (or as submarine decoys, if you're a bubblehead).

Well...yeah.  Most people don't really know about navy desigs, though.   But 'battleship' isn't really right for a space game....

and 'cruiser' still sounds a bit mincy.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
lol search is A- 1 Supar!!!  :D :D

I think the naval system is best.

Destroyers in FS should be known "Battle Cruisers" imho.
or maybe Star Cruisers.... Corvettes could be called Star Cruisers, followed by Frigates like the Iceni, the "Destroyers" (Leviathen and lillith) followed by corvettes and i perosnally thing that there should be gunships. Like the size of some of the freighters but with laser and missle turrets.

The First (and possibly the second one too) FS kinda let me down with lack of cap ships. the game would be even better if theyre were bundles of cap ships. and the whole leviathen/fenris/cain/lillith thing kinda pissed me off. it just seemed like a rip off to me. they should have gotten rid of the cain and the leviathen and made diff. ships.

oh well, i'll shut up now.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stealth

• Braiiins...
Originally posted by RandomTiger
I wish I had some yogurt

eh?
(damn i hate using this smilie, but in this case i think it's appropriate:  *sigh*... oh well, here goes:  :wtf:

talking about ship designations, i think i may as well advertise my website! :D  :  http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/stealth/

click on 'information'

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
lol nice pimpin'.  Cool site btw, goes under favorites, just in case

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Knight Templar
The First (and possibly the second one too) FS kinda let me down with lack of cap ships. the game would be even better if theyre were bundles of cap ships. and the whole leviathen/fenris/cain/lillith thing kinda pissed me off. it just seemed like a rip off to me. they should have gotten rid of the cain and the leviathen and made diff. ships.

Actually the whole thing is far more realistic. Most military ships tend to be refitted during their career to give them better weapons. It's not much of a stretch to imagine it happening to the fenris exactly the way they said. The terrans were at war and needed a defensive line of cruisers quickly. Improving the armour on the fenris makes perfect sense.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
they need a battle ship class in FS. about the size of a destroyer with about 50 turrets

Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
Actually the whole thing is far more realistic. Most military ships tend to be refitted during their career to give them better weapons. It's not much of a stretch to imagine it happening to the fenris exactly the way they said. The terrans were at war and needed a defensive line of cruisers quickly. Improving the armour on the fenris makes perfect sense

Tru tru, perhaps i was a lil' hasty in my opinion, but what i think i meant was that i would have found it more acceptable/funner, if there were more than 3 cap ships on each side.

Personally the destroyers were a joke..... Bundles of armour and ****, but qhat like 16 turrets on a orion? seriosuly, u could hope in a loki, find some undefended spot under the hull and pound away until she blows. w/e just my 2c

Too Long, Didn't Read