Author Topic: About ship types  (Read 4956 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Stealth
talking about ship designations, i think i may as well advertise my website! :D  :  http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/stealth/

click on 'information'

GTVA-Galactic Terran Vasudan AWACS

Poor Colossus...and here everyone thought it was supposed to be a super Destroyer...
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by PhReAk
they need a battle ship class in FS. about the size of a destroyer with about 50 turrets

http://www.battleship.org/images/bb61fb.jpg

Actually, I always judged the class inbetween destroyer-juggernaugh as Dreadnaught class........

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
Actually, I always judged the class inbetween destroyer-juggernaugh as Dreadnaught class........

and you were wrong?
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Kitsune

Nice piccie of a battleship in action.

Did you know when a battleship gives a full broadside with it's main guns, it knocks the boat in the opposite direction of up to a foot and a half depending on the angle of the guns?
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
i didn't know that, but i feel safer now that i do. :D

Too Long, Didn't Read

Gathered from Dictionary.com and several other sources, I've assembled a list of ship names 'n' stuff in the order of their power:

Shuttle
Interceptor
Fighter (1)
Bomber (2)
Gunship
Galley
Galleon
Corvette (4)
Destroyer (6)
Light Carrier*
Frigate (5)^
Cruiser (3)
Heavy Carrier*
BattleCruiser
BattleShip
Dreadnaught
Juggernaught (7)
Mobile Fortress

(#) = Freespace order number
* = Light, heavy, I just made that up. It depends upon how big the carrier is, so I can't really include it in this list properly.
^ = I'm refering to the Iceni

-edit- The frigate thingo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2002, 02:08:27 am by 326 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
well the only "frigate" in FS2 was the iceni, which i beilieve was slightly more powerful tha a deimos class corvette

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Knight Templar
well the only "frigate" in FS2 was the iceni, which i beilieve was slightly more powerful tha a deimos class corvette

I was refering to the Medical frigate. Only cos the pof is named frigate2t-01 or whatever... I should have put a * next to that... I forgot about the Iceni. The refered to it as a Command Frigate didn't they?

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
ok but essential its the same thing and the "medical frigate" is also known as a medical ship, not to mention its not really a millatary vessel

Too Long, Didn't Read

Originally posted by Knight Templar
...not to mention its not really a millatary vessel

-edit- = Good call. :yes:

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
hehe thank yee

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I've said this somewhere else, but I think that "frigate" is used in FS more to designate a special-purpose vessel than to identify a specific warship class.  "Medical frigate" is actually a class that goes back to Star Wars, and it just sounds right, while the Iceni is more of a heavy corvette used for the special purpose of Bosch's command ship/ETAK platform.  And although the Iceni is bigger than a Deimos, it doesn't really stand up that well in a firefight, so to call it a higher order ship in terms of firepower is sort of unreasonable.  My version of the FS designation system, by size and firepower:

1)  Escape Pod - Not going here.  Lets crew escape, otherwise a big missile if necessity forces.

2)  Drone - Unmanned, small craft, potentially armed but only lightly.  Contains minimal systems necessary for space flight and navigation.  Drones are not currently employed by the GTVA, and only make cameo appearances in training simulators.

3)  Fighter - Small, single-man attack craft, capable of mounting a wide array of basic pulse armaments and missiles.

4)  Bomber - Single- or two-man attack craft, more bulky and heavily armored than a fighter but slower, capable of mounting anti-cap ship bombs as well as pulse weapons and missiles.

5)  Transport - Unarmed or lightly armed military or civilian transport craft, capable of transporting large numbers of crew or limited raw materials in sealed, pressurized internal bays

6)  Freighter - Unarmed or lightly armed military or civilian transport craft, with no internal storage but dockpoints for a variety of specialized cargo containers.

7)  Cruiser - Warships up to 600 meters in length, lightly armed and armored, generally used to fend off fighter and bomber attacks, and operate with minimal crew (100+).

8)  Corvette - Warships between 600 and 1,500 meters in length with no or partial fighterbay, 15-30 turrets, and a medium crew compliment (750+)

9)  Destroyer - Warships between 1,500 and 2,250 meters in length, with full fighterbay, 30+ turrets, and a large crew compliment (5,000+)

10)  Carrier* - Destroyer sized ships with less firepower and more fighterbay capacity.

11)  Superdestroyer - Warships between 2,250 and 5,000 meters in length, with a 40+ turrets or a superweapon.  Extensive armor and very large crew compliment. (12,000+)

12)  Dreadnaut**/Juggernaut*** - Warships over 5,000 meters in length, with 50+ turrets (up to 90 or more), a large fighterbay, extreme armor, and a massive crew compliment (20,000+).

*Not used by :V:
**Not used by :V:, can be used alternately for Juggernaut
***Only assigned to what was initially believed to be a Shivan superweapon; should not be used to designate a warship of the GTVA.  

But hey, this is just me.

And if you are making a TC of any kind, sticking with the FS designations isn't really helpful anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2002, 06:41:07 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM