Author Topic: HLP Newsletter - February 2015  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Axem

HLP Newsletter - February 2015
DISCUTER!

(Apologies that the interview was so long!)

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: HLP Newsletter - February 2015
I really like the interview - and the promise of more interviews!  :pimp: :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Nice interview you got there :)

Looks like I've missed a couple of things this month, and forgot about a couple others.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
DOH, a new version of FS Port JUST dropped, now it has to wait till next month for its mention.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Now that STR's released... here's the cutscenes I talked about.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline BirdofPrey

I swear I saw the intro cutscene somewhere already
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Galemp's original super low-res version was on Youtube at one point years ago. I really had to dig to find it. Dunno if it's still up, though.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You guys are... Evolving :D. New sections, interviews... Every Newsletter is better than a previous one :yes:
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
Excuse my gullibility here...

But reading through the interview and the mention of an FS3 kick starter, I tried to google it to see if more info could be find. I am someone that would love to see an official FS3 (as well as continuations to the non-canon mods). So I'm asking the question of whether this was an internal joke or if this is actually happening?

If it is the latter then I am mega excited about this prospect!

The only kickstarter FS related that I am aware of is the board game, which doesn't excite me that much (I would have no one to play with)!

Is there any link or could an announcement be made to show people (in particular me :D ) where to find this?
I do not feel... I think!

Offline Lorric

Axem was asking the question as a hypothetical.

Offline BirdofPrey

Realized it after I was done reading it, but I had a similar reaction.

There's a FS3 kickstarter?!!!!
Oh wait, :sadpanda:

Offline Lorric

Heh. Evil Axem. Building up people's hopes and dreams like that then smashing them to pieces! :hopping: :lol:

I thought it was nice though to see a real reaction to the scenario.

Anyway, while I'm here, I want to thank Axem for doing that interview. I was going to do this a little later on but I might as well do it now, because it gave me new inspiration for my work on BtA. The timing was perfect, I just needed the right push from somewhere and this did the trick. So thank you very much Axem.

And Black Wolf up next, the lead of the other project I've worked on. It's a good time to be me. Just do Spoon after that then you'll have the guy behind my favourite mod and I'll really be spoiled then... :)

Oh and the interviews, if you're worried they're taking up too much space in the newsletter, you could always post them separately on the interview board. Perhaps they should be put there anyway whether they stay in the newsletter or not.

Offline Gee1337

• Sh!tlord/Human Garbage
:mega_sadpanda:

However, I did do a little bit more digging and found out that the board game is potentially being used to gauge interest, but I think that could potentially be a fail and would not be the right way to it if Interplay was being serious. More info on that here...

http://www.pcgamer.com/freespace-tabletop-game-will-gauge-interest-in-a-new-pc-release/

So... I shall say no more on that subject until it rears its head again.

Thanks to Axem and mjn for the interview. Being a bit of a BP fanboy, I think interviews with Battuta or Aesaar would be very interesting next. Shame you didn't nominate one of them mjn! <3

I do not feel... I think!

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It was less about nomination and more that we've been intending to do a Black Wolf interview for a couple months. Black Wolf ended up not really being available to do a good, proper interview for January... so we bumped him again back a month to February and did this to fill the space since we didn't have to worry about availability and timing to get it done.

As for who I'll interview after February... I dunno yet! There's lots of people I'd enjoy hearing from. People from big mods, people from small mods, coders, new guys just starting their first projects. I haven't landed on names yet, so feel free to make suggestions.

Offline BirdofPrey

How do you choose who to interview and what questions to ask?

Offline Lorric

I think Spoon would be a good choice after he releases the first instalment of the new WoD. I do like how it doesn't have to be restricted to the big cheeses, that's the impression I got from this newsletter. I'd be very interested to see some "regular" people interviewed. I could think of a few people I wouldn't mind seeing interviewed, but I'm not sure if I should name them or not. Before, under the impression that there were only a few people who would fall under the criteria, I didn't feel bad mentioning Spoon, especially when he's been interviewed before. I don't want to put any pressure on anyone.

But there is me. You could do me if you like, I'd be open to the idea.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Awesome newsletter as always, and a great interview ontop of it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Interviewees will be selected kinda based on what they are working on or if they are active in the community. (Can't really interview a lurker that we don't really know exists!) Are they doing new and unique things? Have they been a contributor to any projects? Or perhaps someone who is actively playing and reviewing released content? Another idea is someone who is just starting a new project and has some small traction.

Offline BirdofPrey

AH.  See I WAS a lurker so never really read the newsletter all the time, so I thought maybe you guys were mainly doing the big man on campus like yourself with a half dozen project badges and twenty some odd side projects.

Someone whose just working up a small campaign or mod on their own are always interesting to hear from.

Offline Lorric

I asked Lepanto about the interview thing. Since we're friends and have been kind of going down the same path together, I thought it might be a good idea to do us both at the same time if you want to. Or either of us individually if you'd prefer, he's up for either if you want to.

I'd also like to give a shout out to CommanderDJ. Not to be interviewed, but because he didn't get mentioned in your interview, and he too has done work on the fiction for BtA and been a source of inspiration for me, he's produced some great stuff. Doesn't feel right that Lepanto and I got name dropped and he didn't.