Author Topic: HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015
>> HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015 <<
I created the survey in Google Forms, it will require login but also allows you to edit your responses afterwards.

You can view statistics of collected responses here.

Also, you can view full spreadsheet of collected answers here.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:44:02 am by Fury »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Re: HLP Hardware and OS Survey 2015
done
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Just finished. Afraid I didn't know about my OpenGL but if I find out I'll edit it to include it. My PC is an old one so probably a poor example but hope it is of help.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Doing mine now.  I couldn't find the OpenGL version in GPU-Z, so I used GLView.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:06:38 pm by deathspeed »
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I'm not entirely sure what level of directX mine supports (GTX 670).  GPU-Z just says 11.  Nvidia's specs page has the line heading as 11.2, but to the right in the data column it just says 11.  I would have thought the 670 is new enough to support all the latest things, but I guess I don't know how new 11.1 and 11.2 are.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
For those running OSX, do you want the DirectX/OpenGL versions supported by the hardware or what the operating system actually uses?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If OS X is the limiting factor, then you probably should pick what OS X supports.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Token Hackintosh datapoint submitted.

Edit: I should note that FSO currently uses OpenGL 2.1 on OSX because it needs a compatibility profile or something in order to take advantage of whatever version the OS/hardware combo actually supports.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 02:57:07 pm by swashmebuckle »

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I thought 2.1 was the version FSO used anyway
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hee, I think I'm setting the bottom-tier responses in multiple categories.  Huzzah!

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Whoever has the monster cpu with more than 16 cores, I'm not even jealous, my dual-core-which-cant-even-beat-out-my-roommates-phone processor is more than enough.  :P

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
There are those 16 and 18 core Xeons out there. They are clocked pretty low though and cost $4000 or more.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hey, don't look at me, I'm the sole Luddite still running XP.

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I'm one of those running a dual core, also - Core 2 Duo E8500, 4 GB DDR2, GTX480.  I'm trying to save up about $400 to get a Core i5 4690, 8 GB DDR3, and of course a new motherboard.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Oh god is my core system really over 4 years old!?

Still running a Deneb
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Can't take part in this since I don't have the required account, but for what it's worth, I still have two computers running XP and the oldest PC in the house is at least 9 years old... like, totally first-generation C2D/C2Q platforms...

I'm assuming this has to do with future FSO development? Does it? :nervous:

One thing I like about FSO for my use case atm, run it with retail assets and it's still playable enough on the oldest C2D's of reasonable speed ~2.0GHz+, can't say the same for some present-day games that have none of FSO's depth, yet lag on laptop i7's even with everything turned down. Unless there's people out there who run FSO on #@$%ing tablets or anything far too old or anything < 1999MHz with just integrated gfx... then I guess my "low system requirements" argument doesn't work :banghead:

/this thread makes my brain think of the pentium g3258 completely at random... oh wait, in pure naivety clock speed terms, that thing's faster than anything I run right now...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can't take part in this since I don't have the required account
Really, no Google account? How is that even possible on this day and age. :)

I'm assuming this has to do with future FSO development?
It is for purely informational purposes to be used by anyone who wishes to know where to focus development effort. I didn't make it specifically for FSO, although they can use it as a reference if they so wish.

One thing I like about FSO for my use case atm, run it with retail assets and it's still playable enough on the oldest C2D's of reasonable speed
I hope you can accept the possibility that one day that simply may not be true anymore. Although this is less about hardware itself and more about operating systems.

Keeping support for old hardware and operating systems cause technical debt on code base that is hard to maintain, particularly when said hardware and operating systems are no longer used by any developers. That also applies to any dependencies and tools used to build executables. Those dependencies or tools will eventually drop support for old hardware and operating systems. All this while there is need to keep enhancing the code base in order to support new features made possible by newer hardware and operating systems, or at the very least make sure the code base supports new hardware and operating systems. As unfortunate as it is for some people, time goes only forward and there is only so much you can achieve in given time with limited resources.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 01:12:36 am by Fury »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I have added link in the first post to Google spreadsheet that contains all collected answers, if you want even more details.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Eh, I have Intelgrated HD 3000 & dedicated nVidia GT540M; my responses got interesting.  xD

Just finished. Afraid I didn't know about my OpenGL but if I find out I'll edit it to include it. My PC is an old one so probably a poor example but hope it is of help.

GPUZ didn't have the Open GL versions but you can look them up here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_graphics_processing_units