Author Topic: So I Have This Problem Right...  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
So I Have This Problem Right...
Hello HLP Community, it has been a long time since I have been able to post anything and that is mostly due to the fact that school is in and it is difficult.

I have myself a little bit of a predicament. I want to create an original story set in the early stages of human colonization hopefully within the freespace universe. I already have my story mostly together other than a few kinks. Since the creation of the GTA was, to my knowledge and observation, a relatively peaceful ordeal and wouldn't make for a very exciting campaign, I have decided to focus on an earlier time period ranging from the 2080's to the 2100's, when only the first star systems were beginning to become colonized.

This means, of course, that i can't be using any stock freespace ships (because they don't exist yet  ;)) however, my experience with creating my own ships (texturing them more importantly) kind of put me off of the project. I was wondering if there was possibly any way to either use existing ships pulled from the community, something i would hate to do, or if there was anybody willing to texture any ships i came up with in Blender, or if I just have to suck it up and grind myself into learning how to do it.

Thanks,
-Spanks 
Teacher: "Anything is possible if you put your mind to it!"

Student: "Teacher... there is an exception to this rule."

Teacher: "And what is that student?"

Student: "Catching the Iceni"

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: So I Have This Problem Right...
In general you should be able to use the ships listed here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User_made_ships.  As far as I know it's only "The Babylon Project" ships that aren't OK to use, although it's probably worth checking the relevant release threads to be sure.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm 99% sure that everything on the wiki is good to use.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
AFAIK, everything the community released is good, except original, outdated TBP assets. Project Zatharas (modern TBP overhaul) should be good as well, though it'd be better to ask if you feel like using any of their stuff.

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Yes I understand that... but is it really good practice to be using pre-made ships? For instance would you rather have more emphasis and time put on the story and it's writing or would you rather see more work on the resources used to tell said story?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I think it's a good idea to use pre-made ships; HLP history shows that many projects that rely on creating new assets don't get completed :) 
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Yes I understand that... but is it really good practice to be using pre-made ships? For instance would you rather have more emphasis and time put on the story and it's writing or would you rather see more work on the resources used to tell said story?
The former. Every time.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Story and missions, every single time. No contest.

I definitely understand the appeal of new assets , but even adding one or two custom ships can add months to your design time, even if you build them yourself (getting others to do it requires that time exponentially more often than not), and an entire fleet? As harsh as it may seem to just say it, is far more likely than not to mean that type mod just won't ever get done.

Honestly, your best bet is to take existing ships that most closely match what you want, and edit their tables and pof file until they're even closer to what you want. Then, build the best missions that you know how to. That's what will make your campaign memorable.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Thankyou so much for the feedback!

I guess with that i will get started.
More on this campaign when I get a little bit more of the story progression worked out... maybe even a name for it.

Thanks
-Spanks

Offline Lorric

Have you played The Unification War? That might be a good place to look for ships and inspiration.

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
No I have not... I will certainly take a look at it...

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Are dimensional eclipse models usable?

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
The Askaeldian ships that are released to the public are.
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Are dimensional eclipse models usable?
I think so, most of them weren't originally made for it, anyway. The few that were got released to public before the mod itself.

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
I was thinking more along the lines of this http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/HAF_Yukikaze_Mave beauty.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That's made by some HAWX modder. It's an older, low-poly version than the latest version he's released (based off a fighter from the Sentou Yousei Yukikaze OVA anime, just in case that wasn't obvious enough).
I'm...fairly sure we had permission to use it, but I wasn't the one that dug it up or sorted that out. I don't remember the specifics at this point anymore - not even how it ended up on my plate to convert. :nervous:

plz. y u do this to me and my ****ty memory
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Posted by: Droid803
« on: March 14, 2015, 01:47:41 pm » Insert Quote

plz. y u do this to me and my ****ty memory

Im... sorry... its just so pretty  ;)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
As for DA ships, you can use them but they don't fit to Freespace universe at all. Different styles and stuff. It's of course Your mod, but that's not enough for the ship to be "pretty" to be good choice for campaigns set in Freespace universe.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lt. Spanks

• Not A Lieutenant
Well it looks like a futuristic jet of some sort, which i think would fit for what I am looking for which is an early fighter of some sort. I just have no idea where I wan't to go with this in relation to what models I will use. For now I will just keep writing.