Author Topic: travel and jumping/ subspace  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Kerfy

travel and jumping/ subspace
I am modding up a mission and am wondering about in system jumps and such. i get subspace nodes and jumpgates to jump to other star systems, am i rit saying a node requires a jump engine and a gate does not ?? and these are for star system to star system jumps ??

my real question is about in system jumps.  are they to something ? like a ship or installation ?? can they be to known spots? like a smuggler base ??

i am thinking about tramp freighters with insystem jump engines and fighters ..

was trying a smugglers base kinda mission, chasing down the freighter/smuggler and raiding their base scenario.
i want to have a small fighter group and gunship , go to a deep space depot and scann freighters coming and going for contraband, then following the the smuggler to his base,recon it then call in thr troops.

I am hoping to kinda flesh out the civilians in fs2 . this group I will referr to as "spacers" the miner/freighter/family/trading post types that live in space.

The insystem jump mechanics play a big role in my thinking on the situations that i can use i missions, and i want to stay as canon/bp as possible.
i have scavenged ships and stuff fromm allover bp, de ,wow,a couple models from a blender site. so i got some neat toys to play with :)
i am currently trying to fred a moonshiners in space mission or 3. any input would be much appreciated .. when i get the final uv map on my freighter named  The Morgan, i will post it in a vp file

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
Re: travel and jumping/ subspace
If you want to stay as canon as possible,first,i have to ask what's the date of the campaign itself,Pre-GW,GW,reconstruction,Capella or post-Capella?
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ships can jump around between points in a system using their own subspace drives. The rules governing the timing and position of these jumps are almost entirely up to you.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
my real question is about in system jumps.  are they to something ? like a ship or installation ?? can they be to known spots? like a smuggler base ??

Canonically, in-system jumps can go from anywhere in a system to anywhere in a system. There are no limitations mentioned for that mode of travel.

when i get the final uv map on my freighter named  The Morgan, i will post it in a vp file

Please don't. If you want to distribute assets (and you totally should!), don't use vp files. Just pack the .pof and the textures in a zip archive and post that. VP files are for finished mods and campaigns, not single assets.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kerfy

this is the pof of the ship so far, the turrets are from the modular onstruction kit 1.2 , the dok ports are from a repository online here.
the model itself was NOT created by me. I downloaded the origional model from blend swap, its it a free license and can be used freely for anything.
I just modified the model a bit. This was my intro to blender and the whole converting to pof file lesson, uv editing and the like. :)
I am not amodeler ,  heck i cant't draw a stickman lol. the main textures are from fs2 or i guess scp 2014 actually ??
I've tried to keep it to scale as best i can going from blender to dae to pof does change things a bit. the 2 front docks are for shuttles the new eap looks good there and there is also a fighter bay defined , i use the little fighter from DE it kinda fits in. will post the pof for it just for looking at purposes.
The uv mapping was a good challenge i started out with a few different tiles and slowly got around to using standard textures to try and get a freespace look to things .. :) ??
my intentions is for the morgan to carry a tac-1 on the bottom , her Shields extend on the bottom to prorect the container, i wanted to have her capable of deploying drones like the phidias as well as the terran drones gun and missle (forget what mod the are from right now , i think BP will get all that written out to go with the package when i post the finished project)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z03zqyg70nf23fj/spud.pof
http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6bqmzhhd0actcf/spud_texturesr.zip
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6uv94yt5y977x29/Space_freighter-shp.tbm

Offline wardog300k

• I'm a FREDder
1.Increase the mass,if you don't want it to ping off into Valhalla
2.I suggest renaming the fighterbay into hangarbay,since it ain't supposed to launch fighters
Crush the NTF-Conflict Zone
One last war, one last hope, one last survival-Final Destination On Delay
Set free from the GTVA-Liberation Wars On Delay