Author Topic: Countdown to Inferno: Fiction Teasers  (Read 24374 times)

Offline Zarax

Re: Countdown to Inferno: Fiction Teasers
It takes only a dissatisfied minority to stir trouble (and no parliament is dissolved without pissing off someone), they don't have to necessarily topple the emperor, just make him feel uneasy enough to reconsider his position towards humanity... After all terrans are adept at counterinsurgency.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thanks for showing your interest and speculation!

Also, Dharl builds much of his powerbase from the aristocratic and bureaucratic factions, like the Ambassadors, who were removed from power by the Khonsu regime and wanted back in. Of course, his current policies have certainly alienated the Vasudans who still support the Terrans, so his regime is bitterly divided. During the pre-Recontact era, he's still riding high on a groundswell of popular and aristocratic Vasuda-is-better-alone sentiment, for the reasons mentioned in his speech. But as his own policies begin to take effect, and are put to the test by the outbreak of the EA war and further crises, who knows.... :drevil:

Our next tale will return to Sol, introducing you to yet another player in the upcoming drama. Suffice to say, many Jovians are still sore losers...
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline CT27

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to the Jovians.

Concerning the Martians though, how are they viewed by Earthers in the EA?  It was stated in a previous story segment that Mars was a founding EA member...does that mean Earth looks at them a little better than the Jovians?

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Not sure if this is a stupid question, but is the EA supposed to be at least partly democratic, or is it a complete military dictatorship?
Stuff

Offline CT27

I actually asked Lepanto a similar question in a PM.

Lepanto, may I share the contents of that response here?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Sure, go ahead and share it. Share any of our discussions, for that matter. :nod:

The Martians and Earthers have a very strong bond (though, as you've seen, not one immune to realpolitik.) They've been fighting wars alongside Earth for decades.

I know my pace has been slow, between actually FREDding for Inferno and dealing with other issues. Still, expect the Jovian piece Soon(ish.) After that, Recontact is coming soon!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:55:25 pm by Lepanto »
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."

Offline CT27

Are we still going to get to hear about the Vasudan pilots trapped in Sol from the Lucifer mission and their fate/how they're doing?  Sorry for pinging again, that's just something I've really looked forward to.  :)

Anyways, here's what Lepanto said in a PM about the EA government:

I asked him if the EA had a parliamentary (UK/Canada) or republican/presidential (US) style of government and he responded:
"The EA's cabinet Ministers are the executive branch of government. They're more powerful than their equivalents in a RL parliamentary system, and serve for long tenures. They're supposed to serve as a long-range steering committee, but still answer to the unicameral legislature. The Minister-in-Chief, the Head of State, is more of a primus inter pares among his colleagues than a dictator, though. The EA constitution gives wide authority to the executive branch in general, but has significant checks on the power of any one individual, to keep the state safe from a single cult-of-personality leader or bureaucratic fiefdoms.
The Parliament is unicameral, elected by population. This structure deliberately favors Earth, with its 7+ billion population and therefore the most representatives. The legislature has authority over the budget, and power to remove any Minister through a supermajority vote.
In sum, the EA government is carefully engineered to keep an Earth-appointed executive in power, while keeping the other structures of a democratic government."

I then asked if this made the EA a combination of oligarchy and parliamentary democracy.  He responded:
"Well, pretty much. The EA's not an out-and-out tyranny, but its leaders want to maintain strict control over their territories and over long-term planning. They A: want to prevent any future unrest in Sol, and B: implement coordinated long-term military and economic policies (like building the Icanus) to keep the EA defended against external threats, Shivan or otherwise."

Offline CT27

This would be below my Vasudan pilot request (and is kind of in jest), but wouldn't it be interesting to see the faces on some of the EA Joint Chiefs when the initial design for the Lindos was submitted? :D

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Given that the Lindos is a spaceship, and its aero- and hydrodynamics are irrelevant, there's no reason not to make it a floating H. Or a floating % sign. Or whatever shape makes it easiest for the designers to stuff all the systems/weapons/etc. in.

Most pop sci-fi spaceships are only longer than they are wide/tall because of designers' perceptions of what a spaceship "should" look like. I'd like to see more designs like the Lindos that push the aesthetic boundaries of FS warships, TBH.

Offline Zarax

Well, TBH what is missing is a ship that uses the sphere philosophy (aka defending top and bottom the same as the sides) instead of mocking WWII battleships one way or the other...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Given that the Lindos is a spaceship, and its aero- and hydrodynamics are irrelevant, there's no reason not to make it a floating H. Or a floating % sign. Or whatever shape makes it easiest for the designers to stuff all the systems/weapons/etc. in.

Most pop sci-fi spaceships are only longer than they are wide/tall because of designers' perceptions of what a spaceship "should" look like. I'd like to see more designs like the Lindos that push the aesthetic boundaries of FS warships, TBH.

The Lindos is super cool but there are decent reasons to have a long thin ship, mostly acceleration-related. Not that I give a **** about this in terms of FreeSpace ship design but I dunno I thought it might be interesting to know.

if you need help i can help you with fredding missions i can build for you what you need

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Thank you, but we need high-quality FREDders, ideally with proven track records on well-received campaigns.

On that note, if there are any skilled FREDders who want to help get Inferno out the door, please PM me or Woo. Doing all the FREDding work by myself is hard.

i did send you massege

Offline CT27

Are we going to see more EA fiction pieces in the near future?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Sorry, not been in the mood lately. Focusing all the modding energy I've got left on the Atreus mission for BP.

But rest assured, the Countdown will resume.

Offline CT27

If I may ask (and it wouldn't reveal spoilers), what do you mean by the BP Atreus mission?  Do you mean you're designing a mission for WIH3 or working on Steele's BP:BC mission?

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Designing a BP mission for the Directors' Cut. Why I've got the BP badge. ;)

You'll fly the Atreus during the attack on Jupiter at the beginning of WiH. It'll be epic.