Author Topic: Favorite Obscure SEXPs?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
As we all know, FRED has more SEXPs than most FREDders actually need. get-fov? ship-no-vaporize? All the nav point SEXPs? Does anyone actually use set-mission-mood?

What's your favorite little-used SEXP, and how have you made it work in your mission design?

"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Favorite Obscure SEXPs?
I use set-mission-mood!

query-orders is big like whoa

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I genuinely have no idea what set-mission-mood even does or how to use it. I think it miiight have something to do with personas and messages?

I've used weapon-energy-pct, which might just make me one of the first to actually use that! Also had some ideas in mind for shield-recharge-pct, but we'll have to wait on those. I think set-num-countermeasures is obscure enough to count as well, dunno.
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
Way back when I didn't knew how chains work, I used something like get-mission-time for delayed events!

...srlsy, such a noob way of doing things...
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I use set-mission-mood!

query-orders is big like whoa

Well I made both of those so obviously I use them. :)

I genuinely have no idea what set-mission-mood even does or how to use it. I think it miiight have something to do with personas and messages?

Mission moods are basically to do with the built-in messages. We noticed in Diaspora that something sad would happen like the destruction of a major ship and the next thing you'd hear would be a pilot boasting about how they were the best pilot in the fleet. It just seemed off-key. The idea with mission moods is that you can tune your built in messages to fit the mission. So you can have a bunch of anti-cylon or anti-vasudan built in messages and only have them play when you're actually facing that kind of enemy.

Ironically it's the small non-voice acted projects (especially the ones like The Antagonist which aren't set in the FS2 universe and therefore probably don't use the standard built ins anyway) who should be using mission moods the most as for them adding a new mood is a simple matter of editing a table.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 01:11:15 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]