Author Topic: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station  (Read 10498 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Baru Cormorant Infiltration Station
It's out boyeeeees

Click the huge face to buy!

Offline Nightmare

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Look what just came in the Post...

...and its got a nice map

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Woooooo :yes:

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Ooh, I'll have to get a Kindle copy. I got Book 1 for Kindle a while back but uh didn't quite get to read it :nervous: sadly it's not on Bookshare (accessible digital library for people with print disabilities) so I'll have to read it on my phone's Kindle app with the iOS screen reader (VoiceOver) whose voice is kind of :ick: but it'll do.

One question before I can add Book 1 to the top of my reading queue: How much disturbing content is in the book? I like to listen to books at the gym while on the elliptical but after listening to the end of The Making of the Atomic Bomb which described the minutes/hours after Little Boy exploded over Hiroshima, I couldn't sleep that night, so I made the rule of no listening to highly disturbing material at the gym.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Order the book and a cart-topper to hit free shipping, it shows up 36 hours later. Who needs Prime?

Got the book!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Ooh, I'll have to get a Kindle copy. I got Book 1 for Kindle a while back but uh didn't quite get to read it :nervous: sadly it's not on Bookshare (accessible digital library for people with print disabilities) so I'll have to read it on my phone's Kindle app with the iOS screen reader (VoiceOver) whose voice is kind of :ick: but it'll do.

One question before I can add Book 1 to the top of my reading queue: How much disturbing content is in the book? I like to listen to books at the gym while on the elliptical but after listening to the end of The Making of the Atomic Bomb which described the minutes/hours after Little Boy exploded over Hiroshima, I couldn't sleep that night, so I made the rule of no listening to highly disturbing material at the gym.

There's some fairly disturbing stuff, I'd stay off it before bedtime.

I can't sleep anyway so I just read it in bed :D

Thus far only a few chapters in, and it's thus far exactly what I expected from it: Baru is an amazing character and it's simply a joy to read whatever she does, says or thinks next. It's also a book that I personally can't just read casually like I'd read, say, a Bernard Cromwell novel simply by virtue of how engaging it is in both beautiful and horrible ways.

Offline Veers

I just unboxed it a few minutes ago, tempted to tell me boss to stick it so I can read tomorrow.
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Battuta! It might be a much to ask you to go back and finish it for the first book, but you should at least do another author's commentary for the second book, and do the whole book this time! I really really really enjoyed reading it.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Finished the book yesterday. I'll try to keep this spoiler-free, but we'll see how that goes.

The Traitor Baru Cormorant opened with a simple, yet devastating statement: This is the truth - You will know because it hurts.
The Monster Baru Cormorant opens with a similarly simple, yet devastating counter: If something hurts, does that make it true?

Right off the bat (hah), let me make a simple statement myself: These rank in the top 3 book openings I know of (right behind "The sky was the color of a television tuned to a dead channel" and "The Moon blew up, with no warning and no apparent reason", bonus points for anyone who knows where those came from). They perfectly encapsulate the books they're attached to; Traitor puts Baru through a lot of torment (most of it seemingly self-inflicted), in Monster, Baru is forced to deal with the fallout of her previous actions, as well as the creeping realization that a lot of her fundamental truths may not be so true.

But, plot. In the aftermath of the failed revolution Baru orchestrated, she was elevated to the rank of Cryptarch of the Falcrest Imperial Republic. Now part of the power behind the throne, she is sent on a mission, together with her two best frenemies, to root out the Cancrioth, the rumoured power behind the throne of the Oriati Mbo (Falcrest's greatest rival amongst the nations of the Ashen Sea).
But since this is the Baruniverse, nothing is ever simple. Baru's machinations during the Aurdwynn uprising come to haunt her: Both figuratively, in the form of a deep depression over having to disavow and kill her lover Tain Hu and about betraying everyone who ever trusted her, and literally, in the form of Tain Hu's cousin Tain Shir.
Tain Shir, it has to be said, is terrifying. She was, once upon a time, a protege of the same master Baru is serving, but fell from grace: Now, she is an instrument of revenge. Her presence in the book is similar to Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men: A force of nature that can't be reasoned with, can't be contained, only evaded (for a time).

During her mission, shenanigans are had, new allies are met, and alliances and power balances shift around. It is, as usual for Batts, an engaging and gripping read, but there's a few caveats I need to add here before finishing with effusive praise:
1. Monster, unlike Traitor, is not a standalone book. Not just in terms of it being a sequel, but also in terms of it ending on a sequel hook (Battuta just wrote too many ~words~ for this one, so this book had to be split up); this is not a dealbreaker for me, obviously, and loyalty to Batts compels me to ask you for forbearance from anyone for whom it might be: If you wait for the sequel to come out to buy both books, it's bad for the vital statistics driving Batts' income.
2. This book is, at times, an oppressive read. Not only does Baru's depression hit her hard, and us with it as we spend time in her head, but her ingenuity and resourcefulness as established in Traitor don't really get much screentime either. She has her moments, to be sure, but ... there could've been more of them for my liking, y'know?

That out of the way, effusive praise time: I love this book. By making it into a road trip, we get to see many more corners of the Baruniverse, much more of its cultures and their fascinating beliefs and practices. By having interludes from other character's POVs, we get a better picture of who Baru is, how she presents herself, and how she's seen by others, and each of the other POV characters is interesting in their own ways. As any good middle entry in a series, it leaves me both satisfied and intensely hungry for more.

TL;DR: Buy this. If only for the absolutely gorgeous cover.
**** every cause that ends in murder and children crying. ― Iain Banks
Join the fun at the HLP IRC channel. Get the latest spam and gossip as long as it's fresh!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Got it today. I am sure I am going to love it :-) Review will follow.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.