Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 59273 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
He's adding autoaim to the mod to help with joystick aiming.

And I've always dreamt that using a joystick would make it easier... :nervous:

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Hmm, autoaim.... Meh, I'm from the old school. In my day, we didn't have no new-fangled autoaim functions, we just played with our joysticks like normal people!

(...In retrospect, maybe I should have used less sexually suggestive language. But that would have been less fun.)
Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign

Elf #1: "I'm a busy elf. I've got places to go, people to act superior to and elder-than-thou attitudes to express."
Elf #2: "Oh, I know! People seem to think it's easy to perpetuate these Tolkein-esque stereotypes of haughty elves, but in reality it's very hard work."
--Elf #1 and 2, Episode 300: The House Always Wins, 8-Bit Theatre

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"You misunderstand me, Ambassador. I said I had decapitated the terrorists. I never said anything about killing them."
--Laivindil Mirimonion, Nexus of the Nameless

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hmm, autoaim.... Meh, I'm from the old school. In my day, we didn't have no new-fangled autoaim functions, we just played with our joysticks like normal people!

(...In retrospect, maybe I should have used less sexually suggestive language. But that would have been less fun.)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm only using it because my cheapo HOTAS has a deadzone issue which makes precise aiming bloody difficult. A little aim-assist compensates for this quite nicely  :)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please visit; https://iainbakerfreelance.co.uk or https://www.fiverr.com/ibfreelance

Ok so I did the instructions above...and when I press Play, now I can't even see ships in the ships database, maybe just their running lights or a couple of textures, if I see anything at all. When I run fast debug, the game starts without a problem...but why do I have to press the "run fast debug" button to playFS Blue instead of the play button?

Anyway, that debug log is here: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1231d3cb0d330e638b7ed3

Very silly fix, but turning shadows on or off has helped me with this in the past.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok so I did the instructions above...and when I press Play, now I can't even see ships in the ships database, maybe just their running lights or a couple of textures, if I see anything at all. When I run fast debug, the game starts without a problem...but why do I have to press the "run fast debug" button to playFS Blue instead of the play button?

Anyway, that debug log is here: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e1231d3cb0d330e638b7ed3

Very silly fix, but turning shadows on or off has helped me with this in the past.

I can try this. Where and how can I turn shadows off? I've, uh, been out of the loop until recently. :nervous: :confused: :nervous: :P
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 06:17:45 pm by Su-tehp »

Elf #1: "I'm a busy elf. I've got places to go, people to act superior to and elder-than-thou attitudes to express."
Elf #2: "Oh, I know! People seem to think it's easy to perpetuate these Tolkein-esque stereotypes of haughty elves, but in reality it's very hard work."

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

"You misunderstand me, Ambassador. I said I had decapitated the terrorists. I never said anything about killing them."

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
If you're using Knossos, there's a little drop down button for each mod you have installed. In that menu select "FSO Settings." Under the "Graphics" list there should be an item that says "Enable Shadows." It's a rather intensive feature that will slow down lower end GPUs.
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
If you're using Knossos, there's a little drop down button for each mod you have installed. In that menu select "FSO Settings." Under the "Graphics" list there should be an item that says "Enable Shadows." It's a rather intensive feature that will slow down lower end GPUs.

Thank you for this. I'll experiment with it and see if it solves the problem(s).
EDIT: Oooooooooh-kay. So I went into the FSO settings and disabled shadows and pressed play. After waiting 15 minutes for the Freespace SCP screen to go away/finish loading/whatever, I alt-tabbed and saw an error message (didn't understand what it said) and pressed "Debug" 6 times, THEN Blue Planet activated and I went straight to the Tech Menu to see if the ships appeared properly.

Good news: they did.

Bad news: I couldn't switch campaigns out of The Blade Itself; it just wouldn't let me switch to any other campaign in Blue Planet. I'd click on Freespace Blue or War in Heaven 1 or 2 or AoA and it just wouldn't take. I'm running a debug now, it says:

Error: game settings.tbl(line28):
Error: Missing required token: [#END]. Found [$Movie subtitle font: 1] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 290

Incidentally, this is the error message I got the first time.

Should I be running this in 19.0.0-RC2 instead of 3.8.0-3? What's the deal?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 08:31:17 pm by Su-tehp »

That means your build is too old and doesn't have proper game_settings.tbl support.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
That means your build is too old and doesn't have proper game_settings.tbl support.

And I fix that how?

Use a more recent build?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Use a more recent build?

I'm using 19.0.0-RC2 and/or 3.8.0-3. Aren't those the most recent builds?

Anyway, here's my most recent debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e22b619cb0d330e678b7ede
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 01:41:13 am by Su-tehp »