Author Topic: System Specs - GFX card  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Orange
GF4 for me. I like to brag. :)

Heh - just noticed you here. It's about time you got your butt over here. :D ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Originally posted by Kazan
fry is wrong

Just cause?

Offline Fry_Day

buying the top-end is always a waste. Look at the Pentium 4 - a 2.53GHz chip costs 575$ (prices courtesy of www.pricewatch.com - the absolute cheapest on the 'net), and a 300MHz inferior 2.26GHz p4 (Also 533MHz bus) costs less than half (233$) - It'd be a total waste of money to buy the 2.53GHz part, since the preformance difference is closer to 10%. Right now, the ATi Radeon 9700 is an exception in it being more than twice as fast as a 200$ card, so I'm not sure about that.

Offline Fry_Day

buying the top-end is always a waste. Look at the Pentium 4 - a 2.53GHz chip costs 575$ (prices courtesy of www.pricewatch.com - the absolute cheapest on the 'net), and a 300MHz inferior 2.26GHz p4 (Also 533MHz bus) costs less than half (233$) - It'd be a total waste of money to buy the 2.53GHz part, since the preformance difference is closer to 10%. Right now, the ATi Radeon 9700 is an exception in it being more than twice as fast as a 200$ card, so I'm not sure about that.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
what may be true about CPUs isn't always true about everything btw. AMD Athlons are better
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Redfang

Yes, it's a waste of money to buy the 2.53GHz Pentium 4 now... but I'm planning to get some sort of Athlon XP 1800+ - 2000+ or something like that, depends on price. Shame that the new Thoroughbred isn't that good.

But pretty many have brought the Ti4600, and Radeon 9700 is a lot faster and more advanced than that and should cost about the same, though I think the prices of GF4Ti cards will drop when new Radeon hits the streets.
Originally posted by Kazan
fry is wrong

I hope he is in this situation... :)

But I wouldn't be so sure, at least he is right with those processors.

Offline Fry_Day

Sorry about the double post, but isn't there supposed to be flood protection?
And remember, as I said, the Radeon 9700 is an exception to the general rule, since the preformance difference from the best product before is more like the difference between the Voodoo 1 and an SLI setup of Voodoo 2s than anything that's happened in the last few years.

Btw, Kazan, I prefer AMD too (I have an AthlonXP 1700+), and there is a price difference between the top-end and something a bit slower there that's only a little smaller (In %) than the Intel one.

Edit: The AthlonXP 2000+ is 39% cheaper than the AthlonXP 2200+, and is roughly 10% slower.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2002, 11:14:00 am by 791 »

Offline Redfang

Originally posted by Fry_Day
Sorry about the double post, but isn't there supposed to be flood protection?

:wtf:Yes, there used to be, but I also made double post as there wasn't on some thread.

Edit: Oops, the double post is in this thread...
Edit: The AthlonXP 2000+ is 39% cheaper than the AthlonXP 2200+, and is roughly 10% slower.

:nod:And can be even less slower... like in games with high resolutions the game becomes GPU limited (unless you have a very powerful video card) and the difference could be something like 0-5%...

And at the moment I wouldn't even be getting 2000+, maybe 1800+ or 1900+, but they will get cheaper and the price difference will get smaller...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2002, 11:46:33 am by 665 »

Offline Grey Wolf

TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB Video RAM. Woot!
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I just realized that there are only 9 options on the poll, not the ten I had originally put. So not only did it duplicate the Radeon at the (non-existant, so I hear) GF3MX's expense, but it completely removed the RIVA TNT/TNT2/Ultra option I specifically remember including! :mad:
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Kazashi

If an admin cannot fix the current poll, then it might be worth constructing a 2nd poll for the matter. Especially if it ends up being of importance - I don't see that most people will have a problem entering their choice, or further input, again.

Once again, there is no such product as the GF3 MX. The first of the GF3 series to be released was the standard, with a 200Mhz core and 460Mhz memory. A number of months later, nVida released two more - the Ti200 at 175Mhz core and 200Mhz memory, and the Ti500 with 240/500Mhz core and memory respectively. Aside from the  speed differences, the cores were all exactly the same, technology-wise, each card is identical.

The other MX cards nVidia has released have been either cut down versions of their bigger brothers (GF2 MX), or a reworking of an older GPU (GF4 MX). And have actually been advertised with the MX. But for the GF3 generation, there was no cut down version to appeal to the cheaper market.
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Hmmm. I did fix this but did it in a rush (i.e. there's a good chance i screwed it up :wink: ). Making a second GFX card poll might be a good idea since you've got a better list now. :nod:

If you wish you can submit the new list and I can edit the poll appropriately or you can simply start a new thread and I can close this one.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ok, I'll make a new poll. But first, lemme list the 10 categories I'd put in the poll, and then you all can suggest away - just remember that there's that 10-item limit. :doubt:

GF4
GF4MX
GF3
GF2
GF2MX
GF 256
Radeon 9500/9700
Radeon 8500/8500LE/9000/9000Pro
Radeon / Radeon 7500
RIVA TNT/TNT2/ULTRA / Voodoo 1-5 (6? 7?)
Other

Now the problem is that I have one option too many. What should I take out? I'm looking at removing either the GF4MX or the original GF 256, since they didn't get any votes in this current poll. Suggestions?

Offline Redfang

Change the GF4 to GF4Ti, so it's more clear.

I'd say that remove the Radeon 9500/9700, as they're not in shops yet so no-one can have them (except developers and some others probably?).

I think you should make these options for Radeons; Radeon 8500/8500LE (R200) or newer, and then Radeon 7500 or older (Radeon 7000,7200, original Radeons which are now 7000 and 7200).

And there is no Voodoo 6 or 7. :)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Redfang
Change the GF4 to GF4Ti, so it's more clear.

I'd say that remove the Radeon 9500/9700, as they're not in shops yet so no-one can have them (except developers and some others probably?).

I think you should make these options for Radeons; Radeon 8500/8500LE (R200) or newer, and then Radeon 7500 or older (Radeon 7000,7200, original Radeons which are now 7000 and 7200).

And there is no Voodoo 6 or 7. :)

Ok, so we have:

GF4Ti
GF4MX
GF3
GF2
GF2MX
GF 256
Radeon 8500/8500LE or better
Radeon 7500 or worse
RIVA TNT/TNT2/ULTRA / Voodoo 1-5
Other

Offline Redfang

I think that list is good.

Originally posted by sandwich
Radeon 7500 or worse

:lol:That sounds nice... :lol:

Like Radeon 7500 is extremely bad and you can have even worse... :lol:

:wakka:

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Redfang
I think that list is good.

Ok, well if I don't get any serious (:D) complaints in the next 24 hours or so, I'll post the new poll.

Offline Kazashi

Yep, that listing looks fine to me. My only point would be that nVidia has so many listings, but they're not called Cardzilla for nothing :)
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline Fry_Day

how about merging the GeFoce 256 SDR with the GeForce2 MX, and giving the Geforce 256 DDR a separate option, since it's so much better?

Offline Redfang

how about merging the GeFoce 256 SDR with the GeForce2 MX, and giving the Geforce 256 DDR a separate option, since it's so much better?

But nobody has voted for Geforce 256... so I guess no-one has it.