Author Topic: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good  (Read 9668 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good
I would not classify it as "utter garbage"; it's got some counter-intuitive elements and you need to unlearn muscle memory from previous games (the number of times I have grabbed something out of my storage chest when I wanted to put something in is embarassing), but the UI in general is much more streamlined than previous unmodded BethSoft UIs; a UI mod would need to offer some substantial usability improvements for me to bother installing one, which is certainly not the case with their previous games.

Biggest problems are a few hardcoded controls and not making it obvious that some controls exist; for instance, in the workshop menu, you can hold shift and use WASD to select objects to build instead of needing to take your hand off the mouse to hit the arrow keys, but this isn't mentioned in-game anywhere.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
If there's one thing at all I want to see just go away it's the colored screen fuzzing when you're in workshop mode.  It's annoying as hell.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
I managed to win both the base game and the season pass for a grand total of 0$

So anything bad that happens I don't care. I also wouldn't care because after watching a streamer friend of mine play it, the cog cranked laser musket is literally the coolest thing ever, even if it is a ****ty gun. It's still functionally pretty cool. A laser musket.
"No"

my playthrough of new vegas was mostly a love affair with a laser rifle, will i be able to repeat this in fo4
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
my playthrough of new vegas was mostly a love affair with a laser rifle, will i be able to repeat this in fo4
Well, I got a unique laser rifle from a quest, but I haven't used it yet because I am busy having a love affair with my heavily-customized 10mm pistol (also I'm waiting to hit Science! level 2 so I can put some slightly more interesting weapon mods on it).

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Gotta echo the 10 mm love.  It's great when literally the first gun you pick up can carry you clear through midgame thanks to various upgrades you can put on it, and be fairly competitive while you do it.

And then you find the holorifle...

I played stealthy and long range so the laser rifle was much more useful.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I played stealthy and long range so the laser rifle was much more useful.
I was sniping everyone with the holorifle at long range; dunno why a laser rifle's pathetic damage would be more useful for that.

ALSO

holy **** laser rifles in Fallout 4

save your fiber-optics

you will want them later

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

IIRC the scope for the Holorifle has to be found or purchased and not everybody gets one.

It doesn't even matter, holorifle shots move so slowly they can't hit a moving target outside of VATS.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Well the game is being surprisingly accomodating of my fist of the north star roleplay.

I'm not worrying so much about guns and long range, because my strategy is to run up to them and punch them to death.

I may be stepping outside the bounds of the role play with all the psycho jet i'm shooting up, but i just consider that "getting mad"
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mo
Shindieru

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
It doesn't even matter, holorifle shots move so slowly they can't hit a moving target outside of VATS.
Did Project Nevada change that? Because I only realized my holorifle wasn't hitscan when VATS did a slow-mo kill for the first time.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

That's quite likely.

Reviews on the Run/EP Daily gave it a pair of 10s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_24KlR9uc0

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I feel like technical issues alone are enough to keep this from being a 10, but the story's typically mediocre writing doesn't do it any favors either.

That said, if you're playing Fallout for the story I really have to question your motivation.  I'd give it a solid 8.5, on a scale where 9 isn't actually 5.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Two things that startled me so far. Enemies have a chance to go super saiyan on you, and I'm lucky enough that it was a Radroach and a Bloatfly for me. I'm too scared to think what would happen with a Super Mutant, Power Armor wearing Raider or a Death Claw receiving such bonuses.

Second, there seems to be meaningful weather patterns, and I was caught by surprise when a storm/green fog started giving radiation warnings while I was crafting things in my hideout.

P.S.
Spoiler:
**** the Mirelurk Queen
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:38:46 pm by Ghostavo »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I feel like technical issues alone are enough to keep this from being a 10
I haven't encountered any real technical issues so far; I once had my audio die until I closed and reopened the game, and one time I reloaded a game and a bottlecap mine had vanished (showing up again, and needing to be disarmed, the next time I came back to the area). That's it, in... *checks Steam*... 48 hours of running this game.

Oh wait, and there was one annoying line whose subtitle refused to go away until that character talked again, making it harder for me to tell what another character was saying. So three issues.

Honestly, that's pretty downright miraculous for a BethSoft title this soon after release (there's been one patch, but the only thing on the changelog is "Fixes crash related to xaudio drivers").

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so