Author Topic: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good  (Read 9663 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good
That said, if you're playing Fallout for the story I really have to question your motivation.  I'd give it a solid 8.5, on a scale where 9 isn't actually 5.
Poor storywriting is something native to Bestheda, not Fallout.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft

Anyone else encountering this? Strafing around a target only to have it stutter around like this? Notice how the firearm remains smooth
Took a look into it, and apparently the usual response as a fix was "Go borderless" but given that's what I've been playing on

Wondering if anyone else has encountered that
"No"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
That looks really annoying; I haven't experienced anything like that. Have you tried turning off borderless? See if it affects anything?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
That looks really annoying; I haven't experienced anything like that. Have you tried turning off borderless? See if it affects anything?

Actually just figured out what the issue is related to (after a few hours of mucking around in the ini, google, etc)

In order for the game to *not* experience that, you either need to run it at *exactly* 60FPS 100% of the time (with vsync on of course), or you turn vsync off (both the GPU's control panel one and the iPresentInterval option being set as 0 in the .ini file) and find yourself suffering from screen tears/unexpected consequences as apparently (like Skyrim) when frame rates go too high, the game tends to break. But at least objects don't jitter

This is the only game where that type of jitter has ever occurred for me. Farcry 4? GTA V? No problem, vsync does what it's supposed to and doesn't make objects in the game start tripping balls

Though no (to answer the question), changing it out of Borderless didn't improve anything

Anyhow, figured I'd say all that in case I wasn't the only one here.

EDIT:

As it turns out, it does actually happen in the other games, I just don't really notice it nearly as much. Huh. Goes to show that I am actually an idiot, and it's entirely to do with the fact I need to upgrade my computer (though I noticed that the controller has a much more pronounced jitter in comparison to the kb/m which seems to dull it a bit. Guess that's why I didn't notice it in FC4 all that much)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 06:49:09 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I'll get this after a few months, once the mod community has fixed the issues in it. I spent tons of time with FO3 and NV and loved them both, but have too many other games on my plate right now.

That engine has always had a lot of problems with microstuttering because of how its physics ticrate is not time-based (same issue as the Doom 3 engine). The previous Fallout games have stutter remover mods that improve things a lot at about 80fps or less, but the games still go too fast at higher framerates. There are other mods that can be used to cap the engine at 60fps.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
That engine has always had a lot of problems with microstuttering because of how its physics ticrate is not time-based (same issue as the Doom 3 engine). The previous Fallout games have stutter remover mods that improve things a lot at about 80fps or less, but the games still go too fast at higher framerates. There are other mods that can be used to cap the engine at 60fps.
Fallout 4 is framerate-limited by default.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Fallout 4 is framerate-limited by default.

Although that's better than the previous games, they should have really fixed this problem to begin with, so that higher framerates work properly.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've got 144Hz display and F4 runs at smooth 72fps. I don't know what you mean by framerate-limited.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
I've got 144Hz display and F4 runs at smooth 72fps. I don't know what you mean by framerate-limited.
That's exactly what I mean: on a 144Hz display, Fallout 4 will limit itself to 72 FPS, because the Creation Engine's physics calculations are apparently tied to framerate. Do some Googling for further information if you care about technical details and/or how to turn the limit off.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
So I decided to spend another several hours figuring out my st-st-st-stuttering issue, and as it turns out, my initial thoughts weren't off as I later thought they were. What I thought I was seeing in other games was me just screwing myself over

That stutter problem is only there for me in Fallout, and what I ended up doing to fix that was putting iFPSClamp=50 (still working out the best framerate to go with to avoid too much slow/speed up) in the ini file. This eliminated my stuttering, but gave the interesting side effect of things speeding up or slowing down depending on your current framerate. Go go game engine's speed being tied into framerate. That's what was causing my massive stuttering

This prompted me to look into it further, and that was "Just why is it my frames drop here?"

On average, my game runs pretty decently, 50-60 fps. However, upon going to Diamond City, it'd drop down to 40. Usually, if you turn down absolutely everything setting wise, you'd see that number go up... but it didn't. Turning my settings up, also didn't seem to do much until I started making godrays and shadows to their ultra counterparts

The next odd framerate hit culprits? Bushes. [Insert political joke here]

If I ran up into the shrubbery not far from the Red Rocket gas station, the lowest settings I could put would receive a hit from 60FPS to 45ish. I move out of the shrubs, I'd go back to normal

Later today I'm going to see just what affects what and try to figure out why. A lot of settings seemingly have no effect in those two scenarios.
"No"

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Shouldn't tying game engine speed to framerate have stopped being a thing in, like, 1996?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Shouldn't tying game engine speed to framerate have stopped being a thing in, like, 1996?

Well it does have the pleasant side effect of not allowing the game to totally outstrip someone who's experiencing frame rate drop.  I'll have infrequent drops to three or four FPS (if not lower) for whatever reason, but the game runs at that speed too, instead of just displaying whatever frame it can render while it tries to keep up.  So that feral ghoul that already runs like 20 meters per second doesn't suddenly get a free pass to tackle me just because my framerate tanks.  It's moving just as slow as I am.

Offline rev_posix

• Administrator
  • I have the password to your shell account...
    • Trials and Tribulations
Welcome to games being made for a console first then ported over to 'real' computers later, often with the same shortcuts and limitations of the consoles.

As consoles are now, basically, low end old computers, I would be surprised if this trend didn't continue, if not get 'worse'.
--
POSIX is fine, as is Rev or RP

"Although generally it is considered a no no to disagree with a mod since it's pretty much equivalent to kicking an unpaid janitor in the nuts while he's busy cleaning up somebody elses vomit and then telling them how bad they are at cleaning it up cause you can smell it down the hall." - Dennis, Home Improvement Moderator @ DSL Reports

"wow, some people are thick and clearly can't think for themselves - the solution is to remove warning labels from poisons."

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, it's been a week. Plenty of time for more informed opinions.

Check out the Metacritic score on this one - tanking, even after a call to fans to rate it high and accusations of brigading (because any 1/10 is just a hater, but 10/10's by fanboys are all fully objective and fine).
Naturally, the critic scores are almost all perfect. Seems like a lot of the marketing money went into bribes.

SPOILERS AHOY

Spoiler:
The story is absolutely retarded.
200 years after the bombs, and everything looks like it fell yesterday,
As soon as you're out of the vault you run into the nearest town and kill raiders with your new Laser Musket (high dmg, infinite ammo). Then, in this harsh, unforgiving post-apocalyptic world complete strangers give you the most valuebale piece of equipment just like that - power armor and a minigun. 10 minutes out of the Vault and you're killing Deathclaws. Then the writers didn't know how to proceed, so they threw in a "prophecy" told to you by a drugged up old woman. Basically "I don't know how to coherently tie the plot together, let's just tell the player directly where he has to go!" So off you go to find Mr. Kellogs Rice Crispies. You find a detectives office and the secretary tells you she doesn't know where he is, before telling you where he is. You rescue him and track down Kellog and kill him. Then you pick up his brain and find magic tech that lets you see his memories (like Assasins Creed), to find out he's been hired by THE INSTITUTE.
So you run into Synths (basically a lore-raping terminator rip-offs), a genius super-mutant scientists gives you plan for a magical teleporters (more lore rape) and the top it all off, you're given the tasks to assemble a teleporter from scrap. Just to remind you that the husband is a war vet jarhead and the wife is a normal housewife (with no power armor training), so it's equally stupid regardless who you pay as.
With that teleporter you get into the institute to find out your son is the villain and you can either kill him or nuke Boston (but he'll die anyway even if you don't kill him).

The game is a complete **** show. The gunplay is probably the best it has ever been, but the RPG elements have never been worse. You will not know what your character is actually going to say half the time thanks to the dialogue wheel (which occasionally has options as vague as "Sarcastic"). You cannot split your focus between, say, improving stealth and giving yourself a gun-related perk because skills are now perks, so you can only concentrate on one thing at each level. More over, you can't pour all your points into improving stealth/lockpicking/hacking anymore because perks are tiered and by level, so you need to wait until you're level 17+ or something before you can unlock/hack master locks/computers. It's Skyrim with guns, only WORSE. At least crafting makes sense there, but here you can craft magical guns with infinite ammo, fire or ice damage, etc..

Everything is extremely front-loaded so that console kiddies can get all the cool stuff handed to them right away and not get bored by having to actually earn anything. It's also optimized like a rancid turd and animation speed is tied to FPS. Don't waste your bandwidth on this shlock.

TL:DR Worst excuse for a RPG by Bethseda so far.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Aesaar

Retarded story.  Wow.  Not like we ever had that in a Bethesda game before.  Not like most of Skyrim's questlines were retarded.  Not like Fallout 3's story was dumb as ****.  Nope.  **** story really is unique to Fallout 4.  And the 'not enough RPG mechanics' thing sounds like exactly the same stuff people said about Skyrim.  Actually, most of this is.  So what you're really saying is that this game is a lot like Skyrim.

Also, pls tell me more about how SotS2 is a great game!

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Check out the Metacritic score on this one
85 compared to New Vegas's 84? Sounds fine to me.

Spoiler:
Laser Musket (high dmg, infinite ammo).
Spoiler:
High damage but you have to crank it after every shot, which takes a lot more time than using an ordinary laser rifle and reloading every so often. And what are you talking about "infinite ammo"? The only weapons that can't run out of ammo are melee weapons.

Spoiler:
You cannot split your focus between, say, improving stealth and giving yourself a gun-related perk because skills are now perks, so you can only concentrate on one thing at each level.
Spoiler:
You say that like it wasn't always a terrible idea not to spend all of your skill points per level on one skill. Not to mention leveling up doesn't take all that long, so "dividing your attention" is not only possible, but encouraged by the level limits on higher ranks of perks. The level limits you simultaneously complain about, and also you complain that the game front-loads everything. It doesn't count as "front-loading" if you use the console to get to level 50 in the first ten minutes, you know.

Spoiler:
you can craft magical guns with infinite ammo, fire or ice damage, etc..
Spoiler:
No you can't. The closest to that being true is that you can give laser weapons a capacitor that induces burning; that's hardly "magical". Everything else you describe (assuming by "infinite ammo" you actually mean "unlimited clip size" because, again, there are no infinite ammo weapons) is a legendary modifier, which can only be looted from legendary enemies (or bought, sometimes); never crafted. For that matter, you can't craft equipment; only mods for it.

But please, tells us again about how perks have been removed while we're staring at our perk screens. I'm sure if you just keep saying it sucks we'll all forget how much fun we're having.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Retarded story.  Wow.  Not like we ever had that in a Bethesda game before.  Not like most of Skyrim's questlines were retarded.  Not like Fallout 3's story was dumb as ****.  Nope.  **** story really is unique to Fallout 4.  And the 'not enough RPG mechanics' thing sounds like exactly the same stuff people said about Skyrim.  Actually, most of this is.  So what you're really saying is that this game is a lot like Skyrim.

Skyrims story was a masterpiece in comparison. The writing keeps getting worse and lazier.

"But who plays a RPG for the story!" .. Really? If you're gonna defend F04 that hard, you're more pathetic than I have ever been

Also, pls tell me more about how SotS2 is a great game!

Here we go again, digging for past crimes and character assasination when lacking proper counter-arguments.
Do tell me exactly how is FO4 a good RPG?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
TrashMan valiantly staking his claim on "They Changed  It Now It Sucks" Hill and ready to take on all comers, none of whom actually arrived because they were all having too much fun playing Fallout 4 to care about his opinions.

We get it.  Thank you for your remarkable (questionably useful) foresight.  Now quit ****ting up the thread.  You were asked nicely to leave once already, this is your only other friendly request.

Offline Aesaar

Skyrims story was a masterpiece in comparison. The writing keeps getting worse and lazier.

"But who plays a RPG for the story!" .. Really? If you're gonna defend F04 that hard, you're more pathetic than I have ever been
Says the guy on a personal crusade against a game he hasn't played.

Here we go again, digging for past crimes and character assasination when lacking proper counter-arguments.
Do tell me exactly how is FO4 a good RPG?
Dunno, it's not worth 80$ to me, so I haven't played it.  But neither have you, and at least I'm not commenting on the game itself.  But if I was to venture an educated guess (judging by the comments made by Scotty, Ralwood, and Hades on IRC), I'd say "because it's fun."  Since you're a Kerberos fan, I suspect fun is a pretty alien concept to you, but it's important to most people.

And your ****ty taste in games is pertinent when discussing your opinion of this one.  Again, maybe in the future you should try not having ****ty opinions.  Might help with your credibility.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 05:44:09 am by Aesaar »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Now quit ****ting up the thread.  You were asked nicely to leave once already, this is your only other friendly request.

Am I being problematic?
Does contrary opinion trigger you?
Good.

I like it how your only comeback is "But I'm having fun!"
So am I. Watching garbage can be fun.

If only you could figure out that RPG actually means...