Author Topic: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good  (Read 9666 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Re: Fallout 4 - Apperently quite good
Says the guy on a personal crusade against a game he hasn't played.

Calling out s*** practices and degradation of RPG's is now a crusade?
If that's the case, I've been crusading for a long time.

Dunno, it's not worth 80$ to me, so I haven't played it.  But neither have you

And you would know that how exactly?

But if I was to venture an educated guess (judging by the comments made of Scotty, Ralwood, and Hades on IRC), I'd say "because it's fun."  Radical concept, I know.

You do realize people can have fun with s***?
Gimme a few beers and a few friends and the worst movie or game ever made, and I'm going to laugh the whole night. That won't make it a good game/movie. Or at the very least, not a good entry in the genre.

And your ****ty taste in game is pertinent when discussing your opinion of this one.  Again, maybe in the future you should try not having ****ty opinions.  Might help with your credibility.

I know "your waifu is ****, your game is ****, etc.." is common on imageboards, but it doesn't have the same flair on forums.
I'm not telling you you're wrong for liking it (or having **** taste).
I'm telling you you're wrong when you're calling it a great RPG. Because it's not.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Can we please get away from this childish "You like something I don't, you suck" bull**** this thread has devolved into?

However much you might disagree with Trashman, he does have valid criticisms (Because "this game isn't what I hoped it would be" is entirely valid); he does have the right to voice that opinion.

That said, Trashman, you do not have the right to tell people they're having wrongfun. You do not get to dictate what is enjoyable and what isn't, and that means you do not get to troll this topic the way you are doing right now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

EDIT: You know what, **** it.  The_E's right.  Arguing with you is beneath me.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
However much you might disagree with Trashman, he does have valid criticisms (Because "this game isn't what I hoped it would be" is entirely valid); he does have the right to voice that opinion.

However I don't think he has a right for "valid criticisms" consideration when talking about the lack of a perk system, or infinite ammo, or any of the other arguments about the game mechanics that people who have actually played the game have said are wrong.

And given that, his manifest ignorance of mechanics of the game, a statement like "this game is not what I expected" must lose some credibility. Forming an opinion from false and incomplete facts does not necessarily mean it is invalid, but it certainly makes it more likely.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:16:36 am by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sure. And his refusal to engage with those arguments is why I am calling what he's doing trolling.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That said, Trashman, you do not have the right to tell people they're having wrongfun. You do not get to dictate what is enjoyable and what isn't, and that means you do not get to troll this topic the way you are doing right now.

Where did I say that?
I SPECIFICALLY said one can have fun or find enjoyment in anything, and it's OK.
FFS, I adore The Room, yet it's one of the worst movies ever made!

However I don't think he has a right for "valid criticisms" consideration when talking about the lack of a perk system, or infinite ammo, or any of the other arguments about the game mechanics that people who have actually played the game have said are wrong.

The new perk system is s***, that's non-debatable. So little depth to it, so little sense.
Skill system IS gone
Infinite ammo should have been infinite ammo capacity, my bad.

What else? You seem to happily ignore every argument where I am right.

And given that, his manifest ignorance of mechanics of the game, a statement like "this game is not what I expected" must lose some credibility. Forming an opinion from false and incomplete facts does not necessarily mean it is invalid, but it certainly makes it more likely.

This game sells itself as a RPG. So I judge it as such. And it fails as a RPG on all fronts.
It might be a decent shooter, and if you like it because of it, fine.

But it seems as if you display a staggering ignorance of what a RPG is or is supposed to be.
But go ahead, try to prove me wrong. Demonstrate to me how this is a better RPG game than it's predecessors. I'll wait.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline AtomicClucker

• Runnin' from Trebs
Meh, Fallout4 is pretty much a shallow RPG by usual Bethsoft standards.

It's an action game. But Trashman, enjoy charging at windmills. The game has its faults, it has its boons, but at least realize your charging off a rail here. Call it a polished turd if you so desire but realize people will give you plenty of shrugs or raise eyebrows.

I'm not singing it praises and plan to get it after the GOTY edition is released - pretty much a more pretty version of Fallout 3. For me the hype quickly evaporated after watching numerous streams.
Blame Blue Planet for my Freespace2 addiction.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
ohhh look, trashman is out of monkey
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Lorric

Check out the Metacritic score on this one
85 compared to New Vegas's 84? Sounds fine to me.
He's talking about the user score which is just 5.3.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4/user-reviews

New Vegas' user score is 8.5.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
The new perk system is s***, that's non-debatable. So little depth to it, so little sense.
Skill system IS gone

It has roughly a hundred times more depth than any other Fallout Perk system, by sheer virtue of having multiple levels of perks and the hilarious ways some perks can interact (for example, Ricochet and Bloody Mess at their highest levels) (and also have no fewer than 229 perks), and enhanced by being available to any character right off the bat as long as you pay for it (in SPECIALs).  If I want Grim Reaper Sprint at 2nd level, I can do it.  It makes a character's progression up to the player, prioritizing things that enhance personal playstyles.  Just like your precious skills used to.  The skill system being gone is a positive thing, much like getting rid of skill points in D&D 5th edition.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The new perk system is s***, that's non-debatable.
Whoops, looks like people are debating it. So much for that.

This game sells itself as a RPG. So I judge it as such. And it fails as a RPG on all fronts.
It might be a decent shooter, and if you like it because of it, fine.

But it seems as if you display a staggering ignorance of what a RPG is or is supposed to be.
But go ahead, try to prove me wrong. Demonstrate to me how this is a better RPG game than it's predecessors. I'll wait.
How about you define what you think an RPG is before we start playing the No True RPG game?

What else? You seem to happily ignore every argument where I am right.
I just ignore you when you talk about the plot because I haven't finished it.
Spoiler:
I'm still waiting for you to explain how you can craft legendary weapons.

EDIT:
Check out the Metacritic score on this one
85 compared to New Vegas's 84? Sounds fine to me.
He's talking about the user score which is just 5.3.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fallout-4/user-reviews

New Vegas' user score is 8.5.
Hmm... 5.3 based on 4734 ratings.

Whereas the Steam page is 80% positive based on 29,538 user reviews.

That says something, all right; probably the uselessness of looking at averaged review scores from large populations.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:03:13 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

A short reminder on userscores:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
ohhh look, trashman is out of monkey

Was. Was out of monkey. He's got another week off for his complete inability to leave this alone.

@Trashman, you don't like Fallout 4. You didn't like it before you'd even played it. We get it. Stop making **** up to convince us we shouldn't like it too. And I speak as someone who hasn't played the game and probably won't for years but it is completely obvious that you've decided you don't like the game and are willing to make up reasons why rather than commenting on actual things you didn't like. That's simply not acceptable and you're banned for it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 04:41:34 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]