Author Topic: Freeespace story  (Read 1904 times)

Is there some reading material that would help understand the back story of Freespace 1 & 2? Trying to get more into the game itself and what is going on

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Pretty much everything you need is in the two games. The Terrans have been fighting the Vasudans for 14 years, battling across a network of subspace nodes that connect different stars. Then the Shivans start turning up and fighting both.

For my money the best way to experience the FreeSpace story is to boot up FreeSpace 2, read the techroom intelligence database to get the story of FreeSpace 1, and then play FreeSpace 2. But a lot of people would advocate playing both games!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
You might also check out the Freespace Reference Bible.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You might also check out the Freespace Reference Bible.

I wouldn't recommend it. It doesn't tell you much of importance that the games don't!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Really, FreeSpace 1 is just a Standard Sci-Fi Setting without a lot of depth to it. As it's been said, play the games and read everything in the tech room, and you'll have as much information as we do. For Silent Threat: Reborn, we tried to knit together as much of it as possible (and maybe got a little too verbose!)

There's enough room for speculation that projects from the venerable Inferno to the ambitious Blue Planet all have their own spin on the lore, cosmology, and technology of the FreeSpace universe. Feel free to add to it!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...