Author Topic: AM2R  (Read 2164 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
It's out! http://metroid2remake.blogspot.ca/ And it's fun! So far I sucked at it but managed to make it to the first set of ruins. The game is said to be better using a controller, though I got nothing can try for that.

I'll 'ave that, before Big N nukes it (though hopefully not).

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I never played the original (my metroidvania experiences were almost exclusively on the Castlevania side of things), so I have no idea how it compares, but this seems like a very nice engine. I'm a couple areas in and having a great deal of fun.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Got to the end boss.

Amazing, the dev managed to make every Metroid encounter feel different! Some dodge more, others jump more often than they charge, and the added miniboses are fun. Lots of references to Metroid Fusion (obviously) and bonus areas. Fighting the first Omega Metroid is amazing, it just gives this "oh ****" vibe from seeing
Spoiler:
the Federation Marines get slaughtered when it grows from a Zeta.
A lot of love and work went into this one. The music is great as well, seeing as the original had almost none (being a GB game). The fact they added
Spoiler:
an escape sequence
when Metroid 2 was the only game not to have it made me laugh so hard.

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance

And now it's gone due to a DMCA takedown notice from Nintendo. Anyone that still wants a copy let me, An4ximandros, or AdmiralRalwood know.

There are 3 different endings: >4 hours, 2-4 hours, and <2 hours. Also my real name is in the credits under the "Special Thanks" section.   :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 09:13:17 pm by FlamingMamba »

I'm so lucky I downloaded it last night before it got taken down.

Man, the team that put this thing together needs a round of applause.  That was just perfectly done!  It captured to claustrophobia, the "oh cool, I wonder what this does!" and tickled my must-solve-all-puzzles! button in all of the right ways.  The music, the backgrounds, the slick controls.

And Big N goes and nukes it with DMCA notices.  Though, the fact that they only have done that so far, waited until after it had been released, and have not (to my knowledge) issued a C&D makes me wonder how hard they are trying.  It's weird.  They could have shut this down years ago but chose not to.  They could have shut it down the moment the release countdown was announced.  They waited and DMCA'd hosting sites only after the release had already happened.  It isn't especially hard to find this thing now.

I do not understand why Big N would want to do this, but it seems to me like they want to be seen trying to suppress AM2R without successfully suppressing AM2R.  If they really wanted to suppress it, they picked a really bone-headed way to do it.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
I've been playing and largely liking it, but that one second form of that one chozo statue was such a bizarre sudden drop in quality that I've not wanted to try it again for several days now.

I do not understand why Big N would want to do this, but it seems to me like they want to be seen trying to suppress AM2R without successfully suppressing AM2R.  If they really wanted to suppress it, they picked a really bone-headed way to do it.

Because of the way copyright/trademark law works. If a company doesn't defend its trademark, it risks losing control over it; a person could say, legally, "you didn't mind when those guys made a 'Metroid' game, why can't I?"
So they are basically required to shut down anything using the Metroid name, or risk losing it.
Maybe they're being soft because they actually unofficially approve, but shut it down for strictly legal reasons.

That's what I want to think, but it jars slightly with my inherently cynical outlook on the reasons why large corporations do the things they do.  Altruism just doesn't fit into that picture.  There's no ROI in it.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Black_Yoshi1230

• Fat and lazy glory hound, mooch, narcissist.
    • Black Yoshi's YouTube Page
The MechWarrior 2 Resource Forum / Flyboy's Flight Sim + Aviation Page / Falcom Sound Team JDK / Jane's F/A-18 - Resources

&& "LAUNCH! LAUNCH! S__T WE'RE HIT! WE'RE TAKING CANNON FIRE! GET US THE HELL OUTTA HERE!" - The best Jane's Longbow 2 Co-Pilot Audio Clips.

|| BEAMS! DEATH BY BEAMS! <- Blue Planet: War in Heaven in a nutshell. (Phrase is adapted from the Freeman's Mind spinoff Barney's Mind, Episode 14: BEES! DEATH BY BEES!)

^ Give a kid a stick and tell him to beat up his enemies, he'll do it without a second thought. Give a kid a book and tell him to defeat his opponent, and he'll read the book, defeat the other's mind, and smack him on top of the head. Give a kid a flower, he'll force his opponent to eat it.

Well damn. Good thing I got the update while it was still available.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.