Author Topic: Rudder pedals are hard.  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Rudder pedals are hard.
Like, damn. Just picked up a CH Fighterstick and matching rudder pedals. Practicing for it in my mind before finally getting them in the mail really did not prepare me at all for this. Binding them to yaw is confusing as all hell, and the same pretty much goes for roll.

Muscle memory is a *****.

On the plus side, a CH Fighterstick feels SO much better compared to the X-55.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Rudder pedals are hard.
I don't think I could ever properly deal with rudder pedals myself.  I have excellent hand-eye coordination, but I've never professed to have any skill in the foot-eye department.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I don't think I could ever properly deal with rudder pedals myself.  I have excellent hand-eye coordination, but I've never professed to have any skill in the foot-eye department.

1) learn to drive stick

2) learn to drive stick and clutch with your right foot

3) get into accident

4) go to physical therapy

5) ??

6) Profit!!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

I think it's all about training yourself. I played Diaspora in bursts with the pedals and I had a slightly better performance each time... Though normally I would be racking up 10+ kills on Advanced in Flight, but here I'm lucky if I get one. I'm also kind of weird in the fact that while I understand how rudders work, it still doesn't stop me from wanting to kick right to go left.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

What do you have the pedals bound to?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
What do you have the pedals bound to?

Yaw for now.

Why would you even use rudder pedals with Diaspora? Yaw in Diaspora works nothing like yaw in a plane.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Well for space combat sims I believe most people set the pedals to roll. I know that is how I play. I would suggest trying that and then use the stick for pitch and yaw.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Why would you even use rudder pedals with Diaspora? Yaw in Diaspora works nothing like yaw in a plane.

Because I got a stick that doesn't have twist. :P Yaw on the pedals was something I wanted to try.

Well for space combat sims I believe most people set the pedals to roll. I know that is how I play. I would suggest trying that and then use the stick for pitch and yaw.

I've heard the opposite, as well. I've tried both so far, but my luck is awful. If the stick has yaw, I want to twist or I'm subconsciously moving one of the pedals. If the stick has roll, then I'm kicking one of the pedals in the wrong direction.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:17:17 pm by Cobra »

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Screw pedals, I want a twist axis on the stick.  I make do with the rocker on the X45.  Not as good as with my old Cyborg 3d, but way better than pedals.  If I didn't have twist or rocker, I'd probably have to learn keyboard/mouse.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
So the CH stick is SO much more accurate than my X-52 or X-55. Being able to combine the stick and pedals into one device (and one that doesn't cause games like Mechwarrior 4 to freak out about zero byte allocation like vJoy) is a really nice feature. I may bite the bullet and get the throttle at a later date. Switching roll to yaw is definitely MUCH better.

It's no wonder the X-Wing books treat the protagonist pilots like aces... flying with pedals for the rudder in space is ridiculously difficult.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
So the CH stick is SO much more accurate than my X-52 or X-55. Being able to combine the stick and pedals into one device (and one that doesn't cause games like Mechwarrior 4 to freak out about zero byte allocation like vJoy) is a really nice feature. I may bite the bullet and get the throttle at a later date. Switching roll to yaw is definitely MUCH better.

It's no wonder the X-Wing books treat the protagonist pilots like aces... flying with pedals for the rudder in space is ridiculously difficult.

The CH pro throttle is awesome, with X-wing vs Tie Fighter it's like night and day, much better than using the keyboard or the throttle wheel on the base of the stick.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 12:58:03 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter

The CH pro throttle is awesome, with X-wing vs Tie Fighter it's like night and day, much better than using the keyboard or the throttle wheel on the base of the stick.

I don't really like the idea of a sliding throttle versus over axis throttle, though. Maybe I'm just being a pansy, I dunno.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

I don't really like the idea of a sliding throttle versus over axis throttle, though. Maybe I'm just being a pansy, I dunno.
The slider is no big deal, but then again the only arc throttle I tried was on a boat, I have no experience with gaming throttles other than this one.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Look into the X52 Pro Throttle which can sometimes be found alone and cheap on Ebay. Probably one of the best I have used and that is after owning a Ch Pro Throttle and currently using the Warthog Throttle. Lots of hats and buttons and it can be used alone. Using Xpadder you can map the buttons if you have to.

My current simpit I use for Freespace 2 as well as Start Citizen.

I used the top part of my Pro Throttle to create a custom left hand controller to use with 6DOF sims.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Look into the X52 Pro Throttle which can sometimes be found alone and cheap on Ebay. Probably one of the best I have used and that is after owning a Ch Pro Throttle and currently using the Warthog Throttle. Lots of hats and buttons and it can be used alone. Using Xpadder you can map the buttons if you have to.

Already have one. It's what I'm replacing, but keeping as a backup. The problem I'm facing is that some games don't like certain virtual controllers and flip out... Somehow, CH virtual controllers don't do that.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Already have one. It's what I'm replacing, but keeping as a backup. The problem I'm facing is that some games don't like certain virtual controllers and flip out... Somehow, CH virtual controllers don't do that.
From what I can understand they aren't really virtual controllers.
When you go to mapped mode the current profile is uploaded into the hardware directly, the software is only to create, test and upload the profiles and button presses aren't converted by a software into keyboard strokes but such keyboard strokes are sent directly from the peripheral.
It's actually a remainder of the days when a keyboard passthrough was necessary to use all the buttons, but it comes really handy for having compatibility with a lot of stuff that barely accepts the stick and the first four buttons.

It's actually one of the main reasons I ended up buying the throttle, before fiddling a bit with the software after I bought the stick I sincerely though that the throttle could be used only with more recent games, now I play the first X-wing with a full (well, almost, no pedals) HOTAS and it's as it always was like that.

Some games tend to have lots of problems with Xpadder et similia, the CH control manager loads the profile directly into the hardware which tends to solve the problems.

Now if only I could find a way to program the throttle in the DOS Wing Commander games, damn you Chris Roberts and your mania of not putting in speed presets in your DOS space games!  :hopping:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 12:53:46 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Now if only I could find a way to program the throttle in the DOS Wing Commander games, damn you Chris Roberts and your mania of not putting in speed presets in your DOS space games!  :hopping:

You'd think Joy2Key or Xpadder or something would be able to bind a key to {virtual joystick throttle axix set to x%}.  Haven't checked, but that's the sort of thing those softwares would be good at.  Problem is, then you'd have to bind your actual joystick through the same virtual joystick if the game didn't support (or can't be fooled into supporting) more than 1 joystick device.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

You'd think Joy2Key or Xpadder or something would be able to bind a key to {virtual joystick throttle axix set to x%}.  Haven't checked, but that's the sort of thing those softwares would be good at.  Problem is, then you'd have to bind your actual joystick through the same virtual joystick if the game didn't support (or can't be fooled into supporting) more than 1 joystick device.
The problem is that Wing Commander only uses + and - keys and even mapping them in the profile causes problems, mostly it either registers too many keystrokes or too few, which is problematic, essentially if I recenter the axis a little bit too late it keeps pressing "+" or "-" and takes a second or two to register when I'm moving the throttle in the opposite direction.
I had enough problems that when I had only the CH Combatstick I mapped them to the 4-way hat switch instead of the throttle wheel on the base, I tired again when I got the throttle but after a few hours of trial and error the result was the same.

There probably is a script or something like that but I couldn't find anything on the internet.