Author Topic: Space Game Junkie covering BP  (Read 9990 times)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Space Game Junkie covering BP
So I refreshed my YouTube subscription feed to see this little gem pop up starting in 30h from the time of posting SGJ is doing a podcast stream of BP   :nod:

Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Space Game Junkie covering BP
I'll be on there tomorrow! Not sure if it's a live show or just recording for later, but let me know if there's anything you really want me to bring up.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'll be on there tomorrow! Not sure if it's a live show or just recording for later, but let me know if there's anything you really want me to bring up.

The link is for a YT Live Stream so I assume it is????
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Was fun to listen to, nice job Battuta, just a shame Brian had to spend so much time tech supporting the stream

Nice interview, although it's a shame Space Game Junkie didn't get a chance to play and discuss the whole game. They don't even know what they're missing. Could have used some Forced Entry in the background, too.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Battuta did great, talked smoothly about the subject like a pro.

But yeah, uh. I'm not really a fan of spacegamejunkie myself, for someone who has done apparantly 174 of these, they still feel really poorly planned and prepared. Multiple technical difficulties, and the guy rambles and gets offtopic a lot. Couldn't bother to record more than 30 minutes of background video. Could have spend like 10 minutes before the show getting rid of Battuta's mic popping before hand too. Instead he messingly tries to do something about it during the show.

And there are only four stand alone freespace engine based games, and he can't even mention all four.

But Battuta did nice shoutouts <3
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:35:09 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

So are we not counting WCS in the three stand alone FSO games because it forked?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
So are we not counting WCS in the three stand alone FSO games because it forked?
(I wrote three, but I meant four)
No, just me being salty that its always "That game based on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and WING COMMANDER" and WoD never gets mentioned because its apparantly icky and doesn't have a big brand famous IP to lift along with. Not trying to be an attention whore or anything but being continously ignored gets really tiresome.
I refer to 1:07:30 of the stream. Battuta mentioned earlier in his shoutout how JAD and WoD are cool showcases of what the engine can really do, but nooo, gonna mention only the things that already have tens of thousands of downloads, as 'examples of what the engine can do'. WCS is a really poor example for an engine show case too lol.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
All I'm saying is that Battuta is cool.
Urutorahappī!!

I refer to 1:07:30 of the stream. Battuta mentioned earlier in his shoutout how JAD and WoD are cool showcases of what the engine can really do, but nooo, gonna mention only the things that already have tens of thousands of downloads, as 'examples of what the engine can do'.

it's almost like having tens of thousands of downloads means people are more likely to discuss it
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It's almost like you are still a ****ty poster who can't do more than meaningless 1 sentence snide remark posts. Oh wait, you still are. Onto the ignore list you go.
Urutorahappī!!

i'm honestly surprised you don't read hlp through a whitelist that only shows posts that praise WoD (i guess that'd make it harder to complain about everything else though)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
i'm honestly surprised you don't read hlp through a whitelist that only shows posts that praise WoD (i guess that'd make it harder to complain about everything else though)

If you could stop being a prick, that would be great.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Aesaar

WoD isn't my thing but it absolutely does deserve more attention. It's certainly a more impressive work than WCS is.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Whenever I talk about FSO standalone games I always mention Diaspora and WoD simply because TBP still hasn't been updated and WCS was terrible.

That said, it will be nice when multilock gets merged so WoD doesn't need its own executable anymore.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

But yeah, uh. I'm not really a fan of spacegamejunkie myself, for someone who has done apparantly 174 of these, they still feel really poorly planned and prepared. Multiple technical difficulties, and the guy rambles and gets offtopic a lot. Couldn't bother to record more than 30 minutes of background video. Could have spend like 10 minutes before the show getting rid of Battuta's mic popping before hand too. Instead he messingly tries to do something about it during the show.

And there are only four stand alone freespace engine based games, and he can't even mention all four.
I apologize for the technical difficulties, it was our first time using Discord to record voice for the show, plus I'd later discover that OBS was having an issue where it was overtaxing the CPU, so I had to reinstall it, but I only found that out after the fact. We did get together beforehand to hammer out sound, but there didn't seem to be anything I could do about the mic popping. I lowered the guest's volume and so on, but it was persistent.

That said, I'm sorry you're not enjoying the show. I put a lot of time and effort into making it fun, but I'd be happy to hear some constructive criticism as to how I could make it better.

Also, please remember, in our defense, this is a very part-time project. We're not pros at all. ;)

Nice interview, although it's a shame Space Game Junkie didn't get a chance to play and discuss the whole game. They don't even know what they're missing. Could have used some Forced Entry in the background, too.
I do plan to play it all eventually, I'm just limited by time and energy. There's a lot to cover these days, and my free time is scarce, so I do what I can. :)

No, just me being salty that its always "That game based on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and WING COMMANDER" and WoD never gets mentioned because its apparantly icky and doesn't have a big brand famous IP to lift along with. Not trying to be an attention whore or anything but being continously ignored gets really tiresome.
I refer to 1:07:30 of the stream. Battuta mentioned earlier in his shoutout how JAD and WoD are cool showcases of what the engine can really do, but nooo, gonna mention only the things that already have tens of thousands of downloads, as 'examples of what the engine can do'. WCS is a really poor example for an engine show case too lol.
I apologize, but I've never played these mods so I couldn't comment on them.

Offline CT27

Am I the only one around here who didn't hate Wing Commander Saga?  Certainly it wasn't perfect and there was a lot of room for improvement but I found it a fun campaign overall.  If one is going to simply list standalone games based on the FSO engine, it should at least get listed (I'm not even arguing for equal discussion time).

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
That said, I'm sorry you're not enjoying the show. I put a lot of time and effort into making it fun, but I'd be happy to hear some constructive criticism as to how I could make it better.
Right, well this may sound really harsh. But the time and effort don't really show. In this case I'd say you barely felt like you had prepared at all. If you are going to interview someone about Blue planet then it makes sense to me that you at least know what you are talking about. But you didn't seem to have played beyond the rather slow 30 minutes of AoA. Which is pretty narrative heavy and doesn't show off the more action heavy highlights of what BP can put on screen.
When Battuta was talking, you seemed distracted a lot of the time but were really quick to jump onto something offtopic like discussing BSG seasons. I found it frankly, pretty disrespectful towards Battuta.

I apologize for the technical difficulties, it was our first time using Discord to record voice for the show, plus I'd later discover that OBS was having an issue where it was overtaxing the CPU, so I had to reinstall it, but I only found that out after the fact. We did get together beforehand to hammer out sound, but there didn't seem to be anything I could do about the mic popping. I lowered the guest's volume and so on, but it was persistent.
It's not too much to ask to test using discord before hand? Cause why are you testing it for the first time with someone you interview?

Am I the only one around here who didn't hate Wing Commander Saga?  Certainly it wasn't perfect and there was a lot of room for improvement but I found it a fun campaign overall.  If one is going to simply list standalone games based on the FSO engine, it should at least get listed (I'm not even arguing for equal discussion time).
Who are you arguing with? Nobody said anything along these lines.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:20:59 pm by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!