Author Topic: BtA Bug Report Thread  (Read 80214 times)

Looks like the quickfix did it :) DLing right now. Thanks for the prompt touch-up!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Just tried to run BTA and while on the first try, I could see the opening cutscene fine, when I made a new pilot and tried to enter, the screen went black. I closed the mod, tried to enter from scratch and now even the cutscene was blacked out too.

Here's the debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e50eb5fcb0d3321b0c98612

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:10:43 am by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sounds like video card issues. There's nothing in this mod that could cause it to fail rendering across instances. The log says it's failing to open an APNGs. Not sure what could cause that.

Update your drivers and maybe reboot your computer?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Sounds like video card issues. There's nothing in this mod that could cause it to fail rendering across instances. The log says it's failing to open an APNGs. Not sure what could cause that.

I had this issue (not being able to see text) with Wings of Dawn as well. My drivers are updated, so I don't know what the issue could be unless BtA and WoD use fonts that are wonky for some reason.

EDIT: I switched to FSO 19.0.0-RC3 and now I can see the menu screens, but now there's no text at all. When I try to run the Fast Debug now, it says: "Unrecognized command line parameter -post_process." Whatever that means. Here's the log for that attempt: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e50ef74cb0d3321b0c98613

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam

I had this issue (not being able to see text) with Wings of Dawn as well. My drivers are updated, so I don't know what the issue could be unless BtA and WoD use fonts that are wonky for some reason.

EDIT: I switched to FSO 19.0.0-RC3 and now I can see the menu screens, but now there's no text at all. When I try to run the Fast Debug now, it says: "Unrecognized command line parameter -post_process." Whatever that means. Here's the log for that attempt: https://fsnebula.org/log/5e50ef74cb0d3321b0c98613

Post processing should have nothing to do with any of that, unless your drivers / video card are still acting up.  :confused:

when you mouse over the doors/buttons (in the new mainhalls) do they open/animate?

I do know that BtA uses custom fonts (as does WoD) so it seems that is causing. . Something. .
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If this is also happening in WoD, then we need to get the SCP guys involved using the FSO Support board. Your log shows you have an AMD video card. I have a vague memory of AMD drivers having issues with something in FSO a while back. That's about all the info I have to offer.

I'm told you can't use TTF fonts. I can offer a table in a bit that will remove them.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No I can't. BtA relies too heavily on TTF such that I can't just switch back to retail fonts. I don't think there's much more I can do for you.  :(

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
To answer your question, DefCyno, yes the doors do animate/open, but no text shows up at all when I mouse over them. I dunno how I can replace a video card in a laptop. Time to do some research.

The Order of the Stick

Offline ah_jim

• Steam
    • twitch
Re: BtA Bug Report Thread
Going out with a bang-How do i activate to decoy the torpedoes? Alt-Shift-D didn't seem to activate for me.
Do I look shivan to you?
twitch

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Going out with a bang-How do i activate to decoy the torpedoes? Alt-Shift-D didn't seem to activate for me.

You'll need to check your keybinds. I was assured this wouldn't be a thing... You need to find "ECM Action" and change the keybind to something other than NONE. Then that is the keybind you will use.

Offline ah_jim

• Steam
    • twitch
Thanks. That helped alot and i managed to finished the mission.
weirdly enough i had 2 ECM action within my profile setting so i had play around with both. My guess is that i still use the same profile as all my other campaigns that i played and since there wasn't "Press none"(if it was unassigned) in the mission directives like the others i couldn't get the clue to solve it myself.
awesome work. :)
Do I look shivan to you?
twitch

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Interesting. So was that that control was assigned NONE or was it assigned some other key before you fixed it?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'd like to get an answer from him, but here's what happened in my tests. If the keybind was set to 'none' then the mission would still tell you to use the command I entered in FRED even though I used the $$ setup. I'm guess since he knew he had to use Alt-****-D but it didn't work that it was set to NONE. Otherwise FSO would have translated it.

Offline wookieejedi

Ah makes sense. I am guessing this is the cause: back when those controls originally got added they had a default of NONE, so when the player ran FSO it saved those key bindings of NONE in the player file. When that issue was fixed a week later, any players who ran FSO would have the controls correctly correctly assigned to a default control and not NONE. For those players who opened it in that week window though the game had saved those controls as NONE, so those stayed even when the new FSO nightly came out. In other words, the game thought the player personally cleared those control bindings since they were saved that way in the player file. If folks used a different or new pilot or didn't run FSO in that window of time then there would be no issue, but if they did use the same pilot and were using nightlies and ran FSO in that week window then that's were the issue pops up. Another solution would be to tell all players to ensure they go to the control configuration menu and click `Cycle Presets` so the game is forced to read what the modder specified in the controls table for key bindings. In that table the modder can add just a the needed new controls, so that the other controls won't be overwritten. For example, if you want to ensure that Custom Control 1 is Shift-Alt-1, just add that entry only to the control table, that way all other controls will not be changed when clicking Cycle Presets. 

A larger issue this relates to is if a player cleared any control bindings manually that would be needed in any mission. This has always been something of an issue on my mind. Perhaps a script which scans all the mission file for needed keys and then checks the player file to see if those keys are bound and then shows a popup message with a warning might be useful?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
As far as BtA goes, I didn't release a version publicly before we had custom controls solidified. So unless he ran another mod that required Alt-Shift-D and then set it to none before BtA, I suspect something else is going on.

A script that checks and gives the player a prompt to run Cycle Presets is possibly the easiest solution.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
A script that checks and gives the player a prompt to run Cycle Presets is possibly the easiest solution.

Just to be clear, "Cycle Presets" doesn't mean switching to defaults right?
Cuz I would not want that to interfere with people like me who have wildly customized control setups. .
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline wookieejedi

True. Though those controls were a part of nightly, so unfortunately it didn't matter if they were in any mod or not yet, because there was a bug in the SCP code that enabled all controls by default even though I had specifically set the controls to not be enabled by default to avoid the issue we are discussing (I later fixed that bug in that week window). So anyone who ran FSO in that week window had this happen:
1) Game runs and sees there are new controls and enables them even though they are set to disabled (bug, but again that was fixed).
2) Game checks for default control bindings, sees they were NONE and saves that to the player file (again this bug was also fixed).
3) Player uses the same pilot for BtA, and the game reads the player pilot file and sees that the controls are NONE.

Ultimately this is a case of slight instability using nightlies, if a player was always using stable builds then that would not have happened. I know lots of player (including myself) use nightlies only though, so it's just an extra step we as nightly players have to be aware of.

Nevertheless, a fail safe script that checks for controls (even ones the player cleared manually) is a good idea. I unfortunately won't have time to develop it now, but once I am done with my thesis in 1.5 months I'll have time to get back to FSO SCP and script development.

EDIT: cycle presets cycles through whatever is in the mods control table, so use at your own risk. If the mod has only one control default specified then cycling will ontly change that one control.

Offline ah_jim

• Steam
    • twitch
I regretted not taking a screenshot if the setup before i changed it. the first ECM Action was something like Shift Numpad +(Which didnt work), the second one was, 9/r i can't recall.

Cuz I would not want that to interfere with people like me who have wildly customized control setups
I am wild at customizing that too :D
Do I look shivan to you?
twitch

Offline yomi

Found a bug in Hammers edict

If I durning the mission go far away, from ships, bombers appears, and If I kill them, mission get stuck. There is no more events. I don't get order to get back to base, but nothing ever happens again in mission.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:51:19 am by yomi »

Offline CT27

I tried to start BTA so I could play the new version of Templar but ran into an issue I didn't encounter before:

Error: brah-sct.tbm(line 178):
Error: Missing required token: [#End]. Found [$On Briefing Stage:] instead.

File: parselo.cpp
Line: 303

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 147 bytes
fs2_open_19_0_0_x64_SSE2.exe! <no symbol>