Author Topic: BRIGADOR: A Mech Fears Only One Thing  (Read 4743 times)

BRIGADOR: A Mech Fears Only One Thing
...and that thing is YOU, THE PLAYER

Do you like HEAVY ARMOUR?

Do you like THE EIGHTIES?

Do you like URBAN WARFARE and CIVILIAN COLLATERAL DAMAGE?

Then the game for you may be BRIGADOR!

BRIGADOR is an isometric shooter pitting the player player on a one-mercenary mission to guide the city of Solo Nobre through its cluster**** of a regime change into the control of your client. Your tools for this are an impressively varied selection of mechs, tanks and antigravity skimmers, from tiny bikes and powersuits to towering hulks that would need a large cliff to go hulldown. IT FEATURES:

• A 25-mission campaign
  • A ridiculously configurable freelancing mode
  • Dozens of vehicles and dozens of weapons to fit to them
  • A deep combat system allowing for a huge variety of tactics as you sneak, weave or trample your way through its fully-destructible cityscapes
  • A lot of great writing which nevertheless stays out of your face
  • A groovy retro electronic soundtrack

It does not feature an effective marketing and publicity strategy, which is why you've never heard of it and why it was a disastrous sales flop.

You should absolutely give it a shot if you like mech games or action-packed, stylish shooters. It has some of the best production values I've ever seen in an indie game, better than a lot of publisher-backed efforts.

BONUS: Here are some of the unit descriptions! I love these things, they're so varied and creative:

Loyalist mech 'Praetor': It’s the nature of military engineering to take things too far. The Praetor represents that limit, at least as far as Loyalists are concerned. Touro’s stouter younger brother, the Praetor is a command variant with major firepower and the ability to take a little more on the chin. Pays for it in tight corners though. Praetors are slower and can’t turn for ****, but you can ride the thing straight through an enemy line and out the other side. Design Bureau laughed at Chief Engineer Halleck after that “maneuverability is for cowards” rant, but Praetors have plowed through walls and even minefields without a dent before, so who’s to say? Besides, Halleck is second only to the Founders in the Praetor driver set. — MB

Corvid tank 'Treehouse': Normally—if there is a “normal” for a siege engine made out of old jalopies—you’d expect the cars to be stripped out entirely for something like this. Instead, Corvid engineers keep all the horns and headlights and link them up to the main cockpit controls. When one of these comes rolling in, blaring and blazing like the angels on judgement day, the Treehouse goes from silly to terrifying in seconds flat. Fortunately the thing itself doesn’t have that kind of acceleration—keep your distance and don’t let the bastards surprise you. — MB

Spacer AGRAV 'Vex': Spacers come in two flavors, cruel or dead. And the Vex is cruel alright, in the proud Spacer agrav tradition. Dual Main mounts, low profile, moves better than it looks like it can. Nasty business. Mainstay of Spacer ground operations, crew of at least two judging by the hatch configuration. Probably dual pilot/gunner duties, advanced combat jack stuff? One of the rare Spacer vehicles you can find decent footage of in action, if you know a guy.

(You don't want to know that guy. I'm that guy.) — MB

Corvid Tuk Tuk 'Lineman': Exactly what it looks like. A Varlet three-wheeler with a crow’s nest bolted into the cargo bed. I wonder how often these things have to be propped back up after taking a turn too fast. Insanely vulnerable to sniper fire, the Corvids just don’t care; they know they need the extra lead time on engagements by making sure they see a fight coming in advance. Sometimes the spotter gets a high-tech sensor device, usually just a pair of old binoculars. — MB
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:08:17 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Re: BRIGADOR: A Mech Fears Only One Thing
Wow, this looks awesome. Definitely going to check it out!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
It's excellent and a unique experience. I'd describe it like a top down mechwarrior and for a game that only ever allows you two weapon slots on your vehicle it has a surprising amount of depth. I'll admit the difficulty curve is all over the place but it's still something reminiscent of a bygone age. Also the two main developers on it are a couple pretty cool guys. The game's soundtrack is pretty kick ass and it's audio book is no slouch either (though I haven't finished it).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

I bought this in early access, when there wasn't a whole lot of gameplay.  Even in that state, what was there was pretty fun, so I'll have to update my copy, now that they've done a full release.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I've had this on my Steam wishlist since it was in Early Access and just never found the time (or spare cash) to check it out.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
The look of it reminds me of Future cop LAPD on the PS1. Its half as much fun then I would look at buying.

I can't compare because I was too busy learning to read when that came out, but Brigador is certainly a lot of fun. I kind of mentioned this in the OP but it's crazy how much depth they get out of the premise of 'shoot every other armoured vehicle in the city that gets in your way': even just the ballistics of the weapons, how they interact with the environment and enemies, is enough to make mastering every new loadout into a fresh challenge. I've played a lot of games like it but none of them have been nearly as interesting.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Kind of reminds me of Battletech on the Sega Genesis, if it took place on Planet Neo80s in the Night Club system.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

You can incidentally listen to the neo80s nightclub soundtrack here: https://makeupandvanityset.bandcamp.com/album/brigador-vol-i

It's good.

Holy **** this game is a total blast. I've only gotten into the third mission so far, and I'm already having fun mowing stuff down with the tank cannon and smashing stuff with the mech feet and stuff. Thanks for pointing this out! It's a real gem.

All the mortars, all the time.

In the early build that I had previously played, idle units just sat in a static location, until something triggered them to start hunting.  Now, they patrol about the map, making sneaky mortar assassinations a reasonable challenge.  You can still generally get away with firing a mortar and running far enough away from its point of origin that survivors still won't detect you, but because other patrols may rove into your area, you do have to be prepared for close-quarters fighting.

Thanks for bringing this one back to my attention, Hoover!

i'm waaaay too impatient to use mortars, the best guns are the ones with minimal killing latency

(that's not true actually, i like the jericho, it's pretty interesting to use)

Mortars have this really satisfying build up and pay off.  It does help to be patient, but taking out a small patrol (or better still, a large group that you lured to one particular location) with a single shell makes the wait worthwhile.

The game is currently 25% off on Steam, has just received a respectable content update/balance pass and is slated for a big 'relaunch update' some time in summer. A worthwhile time for a revisit, I think.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 05:21:54 am by Phantom Hoover »

MASSIVE UPDATE: the crazy ****ers who made this game have released a massive FREE update including a redesign and rewrite of the entire tutorial and a big polish and rebalance pass. It's also 30% off for this week! If there was ever a time to buy it, it's now.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 03:30:42 pm by Phantom Hoover »

I bought it, played it, and it's rad! It's like a battletech twin stick shooter. What more would you want in life?

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
Did the redone tutorials and they do a much better job at easing you in and keeping the dark humor at the forefront. I haven't gotten to the original content yet so I can't do much of a comparison but yes, if you were on the fence but interested, now's a perfect time to pick it up. They have a GOG, itch.io, and Humble releases as well now!
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Damn you, Hoover. I have now put more than 500 hours into this glorious game. I had intended to get some other **** done in the past six months! :)

The original post here is what sold me on it, so thanks again for bringing it to light. What a treasure. Once the patching is all wrapped up, I'm going to release a mod for it which is mainly just designed to make the game even harder for the true sadists among us. I love the developer console so, so much.

Also still playing it, although GOG doesn't track playtime as far as I am aware. It's quite formidable.

My favorite vehicles have to be the corvid agravs. Imagine the flying delorean from Back to the Future and put some guns on it. It's rad.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:41:56 am by -Joshua- »

I love the Roper. It's a flying battleship made out of tractors. Strap two Bishops and an AK Pulse to it for maximum devastation and go to town. Last time I did it I recorded the run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCpP9N7dyPk