Author Topic: A bunch if questions  (Read 2293 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I seem to have forgotten a lot of things during my time away... Sooooooo:

1) There was a program to generate various names for freespace. Greek, Egyptian, Babylonian, and many, many more. I think it was called Name Mage. I can't find it anymore. Anyone know about it?

2) Is 6 the maximum number of fighters in a wing, or can it be increased (for hostiles)?

3) How the hell do you make a destroyers subsystems scannable? I played around with "cargo known" "scannable" and "alternate subsystem scanning"  (and checked hte Sathanas scanning mission) but can't get it to work.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
1) I never heard of that.  I just use Wikipidea
2)Limit of 6 per wing, but waves can add successive wings for non-player wings
3)You need to add cargo for each subsystem you want to be scannable.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
1. Dangit, that was such a cool program. It generated a list (you'd tell the program how many names you want) and you had about two dozen various name templates

2. Huh. I could swear I saw campaigns with bigger enemy wings.

3. .......

Adendum.
I have the latest stable PCS2 I got from the D/L section and a more recent one (with insignia) someone sent to me.

The latest one doesn't want to convert anything (it rarely opens any .cob), but it opens, saves and edits any .pof file without problems.
The stable ones converts anything, but has trouble opening some .pofs and it never smooths.

Something as simple as re-sizing a missile ends up being a chore. I export it, re-size it, and convert it again, but it ends up blocky (no smoothing). Am I cursed or something? There's not a single thing I made that didn't have tons of complications - usually PCS2 related

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Well, if grabbing a dozen of fighters and pressing "Create wing" isn't working, then perhaps just create wings like Wing#1, Wing#2 (#1 and #2 should be invisible) and just use orders/directives on them all at the same time?
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I have a mission that takes place in subspace with nebula turned on.

The effect was great - the subspace effect would be visible, but you'd still have limited nebula view and lighting strikes, giving it a very spooky vibe.

But trying that same mission lately, it's like something changed. Now I can clearly see dark outlines of capital ships in the distance, they are not obscured like they were before. Note that I haven't touched the mission at all.
Did something change in the render code?

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Adendum.
I have the latest stable PCS2 I got from the D/L section and a more recent one (with insignia) someone sent to me.

The latest one doesn't want to convert anything (it rarely opens any .cob), but it opens, saves and edits any .pof file without problems.
The stable ones converts anything, but has trouble opening some .pofs and it never smooths.

Something as simple as re-sizing a missile ends up being a chore. I export it, re-size it, and convert it again, but it ends up blocky (no smoothing). Am I cursed or something? There's not a single thing I made that didn't have tons of complications - usually PCS2 related

You're not cursed, but you are using the "wrong" file format. I don't know if anyone, other than yourself, who still uses .cob files to convert via pcs to pof. I would assume that, because almost nobody uses it, if there are bugs or inefficiencies or things like that, they're not getting noticed or fixed because people don't use it.

Try using Collada dae as your export format and PVS should be better. If that doesn't help, you might have to look at the models you're running through it. FS is light years ahead of where it was, but bad geometry can still cause issues - check for zero width faces, non triangulated geometry, that sort of thing.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
just to drop it down, this name generator gives some nice names http://donjon.bin.sh/ i use it a lot.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Did something change in the render code?
...You could say that, yes. Could we get before/after screenshots and FSO versions?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yeah, things like Physically Based Rendering, just for one...
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
...You could say that, yes. Could we get before/after screenshots and FSO versions?

Can't give you one ATM, that will have to wait.

Before it was a normal nebula, but you could see the subspace "wall/cylinder" partially obscured. Ships that were distant were invisible, and they popped out of the mist like you'd expect. And, IIRC, the glowing ends of the corridor were barely visible.

Now it's like there is no visibility cutoff. I can see they grey shiloute of a destroyer that 10K+ away and the corridor entry/exit are clearly visible. It feels like the nebula "mist/cloud" effect is missing.

the mission itself was made a long way back... 3.6.4?
I'm using the latest SCP now.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Can't give you one ATM, that will have to wait.

Before it was a normal nebula, but you could see the subspace "wall/cylinder" partially obscured. Ships that were distant were invisible, and they popped out of the mist like you'd expect. And, IIRC, the glowing ends of the corridor were barely visible.

Now it's like there is no visibility cutoff. I can see they grey shiloute of a destroyer that 10K+ away and the corridor entry/exit are clearly visible. It feels like the nebula "mist/cloud" effect is missing.

the mission itself was made a long way back... 3.6.4?
I'm using the latest SCP now.
If I remember correctly, it was some settings in post-processing table to prevent this. I was never able to find out anything.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.