Author Topic: The Expanse (tv series)  (Read 8577 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: The Expanse (tv series)
There's really not a great way to adapt the story without hitting the TV-MA line.

Sorry, I don't buy this at all. There are lots of ways to communicate on-screen without being graphic. You can have complex, mature themes in shows without spraying blood & tits & f-bombs everywhere. And it's perfectly achievable to show just enough to imply the event and leave the rest to the imagination, if you want to.

I get that enough people find the graphic stuff appealing that it apparently wins them a bigger audience and more $$$. I'm just bummed that comes at the expense of me not being part of that audience. And the only (tiny, insufficient) influence I have on what route studios take in the future is to vote with my feet. A bit of a futile gesture, perhaps, but I think the only one I can make with integrity.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Gotta agree with Sushi here, to an extent (as I found Avasarala torturing a belter by hanging him up on hooks in Earth gravity in the pilot episode much more grusome than pretty much anything that happened later): There's always a way to depict violence without going graphic. The producers of the show chose not to; They wanted an adults-only show, and that's what they made.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I would argue that they're adapting an adults-only book, so making an adults-only show is not exactly an indictment. I also disagree with the idea that there's a  way to avoid most of the violence in the show (the point about the hooks is well taken, and I think is one of the weakest moments of the pilot). Part of the story is biological horror of the protomolecule. Another part is physics in space, including the nasty **** that can happen to the human body as a result.

[You can have complex, mature themes in shows without spraying blood & tits & f-bombs everywhere.

Agreed, but that's not what's happening in the show, and I think you know that.  This characterization of my post is unfair at best and disingenuous at worst.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Luis Dias

I hadn't even thought about that as an issue. I agree it's not much a big one, but I'm sorry that some people will skip it just because of that, I think they're losing out.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
I really don't want to argue, actually, and I apologize if anything I've said came across as unfair or disingenuous. I'm just bummed.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Don't apologise for a valid opinion.  Nobody can tell you how you feel is wrong.   
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Regarding violence and graphic content. Show was very gentle with some events.

Spoilers from Abaddon's Gate below:
Spoiler:
When the fleets hit the "slow zone" we've seen just a tiny bit of what really happened. The harshest thing from the show was Tilly pinned to a ceiling of Thomas Prince. Which was a deviation from the source material btw. But there was no sailors cut in half by hatches so not as gore. Heck, even the events on the Behemoth looked less dramatic in the show. In the book there was a real bloodbath out there with Ashford going batsh**-crazy. Including stopping the spin of the ship which took many lives as well. I don't think there was any way to avoid showing graphic stuff here without sacrificing the content of the original.

Already started reading Cibola but can't find enough time to finish :/

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Spoiler:
When the fleets hit the "slow zone" we've seen just a tiny bit of what really happened. The harshest thing from the show was Tilly pinned to a ceiling of Thomas Prince. Which was a deviation from the source material btw. But there was no sailors cut in half by hatches so not as gore. Heck, even the events on the Behemoth looked less dramatic in the show. In the book there was a real bloodbath out there with Ashford going batsh**-crazy. Including stopping the spin of the ship which took many lives as well. I don't think there was any way to avoid showing graphic stuff here without sacrificing the content of the original.

TV!Ashford is a vastly superior character to Book!Ashford.

Also, IMHO, Cibola Burn is the weakest book in the series and can safely be skipped; I don't remember anything happening in it that actually ends up mattering in the rest of the series (except for the whole big-picture "we can colonize other planets now" stuff). Nemesis Games, on the other hand, is straight up awesome again.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I would strongly discourage skipping CB. There is one major plot thread that concludes, and another one that starts being set up:
Spoiler:
Investigator!Miller finding out more about what attacked the Ring Builders, his (apparently final) death, and our first look at the Bullet--although it takes a couple books before that one starts to pay off.
CB is very different. I personally enjoyed it, especially the bits where we see how the Roci crew has grown since the start (in that we actually start to feel out their characters more), but it's definitely got some flaws. Combine that with the change in scope and focus, and it's easy to see why Cibola Burn is one of the less popular books.

Nemesis Games is fantastic.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 03:49:07 am by Rhymes »

Spoiler:

TV!Ashford is a vastly superior character to Book!Ashford.

Also, IMHO, Cibola Burn is the weakest book in the series and can safely be skipped; I don't remember anything happening in it that actually ends up mattering in the rest of the series (except for the whole big-picture "we can colonize other planets now" stuff). Nemesis Games, on the other hand, is straight up awesome again.

I agree about Ashford.
Spoiler:
In the show he really feels like an experienced captain, a man who has seen a lot of stuff, done some nasty things and was smart enough to survive that long. A Belter to the bone but unlike any other. A man with a vision who seems to understand what the Belters should do to flourish <the "we must act with gratness" line was perfect> To become a true nation, not just bunch of space tribes, bond together mostly by hatred towards Earthers and Martians. There was a very good scene where he talked with Drummer about OPA uniforms and what they symbolize. In the book.... I was a bit disappointed. I actually expected something different but got a guy who simply snapped in a crisis situation instead :/

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Season 4 is available now on Amazon Prime. God damn the show looks great.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
aaaaand I already watched the whole thing
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
me too

Offline Luis Dias

Haven't watched it yet. Envy me!

Offline Luis Dias

goddamn it, that was amazing.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
The Nauvoo has the same chairs as the conference room at my job.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D