Author Topic: Can't run in fullscreen at lower than native resolution  (Read 5015 times)

Can't run in fullscreen at lower than native resolution
I am unable to get FSO to run at full screen at lower than native resolution. I have a 1440p screen and everything is fine when I run at that resolution; I was having difficulty with HUD size when trying to play BtA so I tried playing in 1920x1080 but when I do that it just played it in a smaller window. Nothing I did would enlarge the 1920x1080 window to full screen, not Alt+Enter, not checking run in full screen window on dev tools in wxlauncher, run in window is not checked. This happens in every mod I've tried. In frustration I even tried lowering my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 and then running it from wxlauncher at 1920x1080; I still get a window that's the same fraction of screen size as it was when my desktop resolution was 1440p. Is there any way to run the game at lower resolution and then expand that window to full screen? I've attached my fs2_open.log.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:35:40 pm by CaptainKoloth »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Can't run in fullscreen at lower than native resolution
run in full screen window
That just gives a borderless window of the specified resolution; it's only a "full screen window" if you set the resolution to be the same as your desktop.

run in window is not checked
Code: [Select]
  -window
?

If you just want the HUD to be slightly bigger, a custom hud table should do the trick... I think somebody has one for BtA lying around.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

That's what I mean. Even if I set desktop resolution to be the same it's still in a smaller window I can't enlarge. Here's what happens:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYHhMkx-6U
Re: HUD tables I have a separate thread in BtA to figure that out but a) suffice it to say there's still some issues and b) this particular technical issue is happening regardless of which mod I load. Also get the same result regardless of whether I check run in window, run in fullscreen window, or neither.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:20:46 am by CaptainKoloth »

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Right-click your FSO executable, click "properties", go to the "compatibility" tab, check "override high DPI scaling behavior". Make sure "Application" is selected.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

It is. Does not make a difference.

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
According to the video Windows isn't running in HiDPI mode which is probably why that option made no difference.

Can you check your Nvidia settings? I know that you can change whether scaling should be handled by the GPU or monitor if you're running at lower than native resolution but I'm not sure if that would have any effect in this situation.

Offline Delta_V

Have you tried logging out after making the change to display settings?  In your video, changing the resolution also changed the display scaling, but the display scaling change tends to not be applied to applications until you logout. 

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=93939.0 was my journey into how FSO handles screen resolution.  I never did figure out the particular issue I was having with poor framerates, as the problem mysteriously resolved itself.  But from fiddling around with that, I found that a) FSO does not always play nice with display scaling, and that it was best to just set scaling to 100%, and b) not logging out after changing display settings caused unpredictable results. 

According to the video Windows isn't running in HiDPI mode which is probably why that option made no difference.

Can you check your Nvidia settings? I know that you can change whether scaling should be handled by the GPU or monitor if you're running at lower than native resolution but I'm not sure if that would have any effect in this situation.

Everything is output by my GTX 1080 if that makes any difference (I have only one video output from the computer to the monitor). I'm not sure if that's quite what you're asking.

Have you tried logging out after making the change to display settings?  In your video, changing the resolution also changed the display scaling, but the display scaling change tends to not be applied to applications until you logout. 

Do you mean logging out of and back into Windows?

Offline Delta_V

Do you mean logging out of and back into Windows?

Yeah, I meant sign out of your Windows account, and sign back in.  Or just restart your computer.  Either should work.  For some reason, display scaling changes don't fully take effect until you log back in.

So you're suggesting changing the DPI scaling in the application settings for Freespace, then restart Windows, then try again?

Offline Delta_V

So you're suggesting changing the DPI scaling in the application settings for Freespace, then restart Windows, then try again?

Yep.  Change display resolution + make sure display scaling is set to 100%, sign out of Windows, then sign back in and fire up FSO.

Tried that, still nothing. Stumped.

Actually since i use the wxlauncher the change of the resolution in the launcher does nothing on my system.

I have to change the resolution always manually to use another one.

Try to change the
VideocardFs2open= entry in your fs2_open.ini to your desired resolution like
VideocardFs2open=OGL -(1920x1080)x32 bit and show if that works.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

On the video you have "fullscreen window" on. Isn't that just "borderless window" (calling it fullscreen assumes that everyone runs at native resolution)? Try with it not enabled and run the game in normal fullscreen mode.

EDIT: back on my computer. "Windowed fullscreen" is just borderless window. If you want to play f ullscreen with non native resolution don't enable it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 06:02:27 pm by hirmuolio »

Actually since i use the wxlauncher the change of the resolution in the launcher does nothing on my system.

Try to change the

I found this file in my /data/ directory but it doesn't seem to have this line in it at all.

On the video you have "fullscreen window" on. Isn't that just "borderless window" (calling it fullscreen assumes that everyone runs at native resolution)? Try with it not enabled and run the game in normal fullscreen mode.

EDIT: back on my computer. "Windowed fullscreen" is just borderless window. If you want to play f ullscreen with non native resolution don't enable it.

As you'll see from the above I get the exact same result whether this is checked or not.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter

Try to change the

I found this file in my /data/ directory but it doesn't seem to have this line in it at all.
Uh... fs2_open.ini shouldn't be in the "data" folder. Any "data" folder. Even if you run in portable mode, it should be in the same directory as the executable.

Where it should be is %APPDATA%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\fs2_open.ini.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You could try running this:

tree /f %appdata%\HardLightProductions > %userprofile%\Desktop\appdataFSO.txt
tree /f "E:\Freespace 2" > %userprofile%\Desktop\FS2dir.txt

Then post those 2 files (they will be on your Desktop, use pastebin or something, or I suppose you could probably attach it here or put it in [code][/code] tags).

It looks to me like you've got a nested FS2 installation ("Freespace 2" folder in a "FreeSpace 2" folder) -- and I'm not sure everything's installed to the second folder, you may have some installed to the first folder.  Posting the tree results should help confirm or deny this.