Author Topic: Unknown radar range: -1!  (Read 4387 times)

Unknown radar range: -1!
I got this error when I was playing JAD 2.2 and it won't let me play anymore! Can you please fix this?

Error: Unknown radar range: -1!

File: radarsetup.cpp
Line: 487

Edit: I got a new error:

Error: Player file has invalid radar range -1

File: plr.cpp
Line: 143

Edit: It seems to fix itself if you Debug your way to the options, go to the HUD config, and hit reset all.
Still would like to see this bug fixed though.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:02:37 pm by Betamatcen »

Re: Unknown radar range: -1!
How did you get past the error without the game crashing? I'm having the same issue while running the DEBUG exe, and the game just crashes when I hit the debug or the exit option. I can't even get in to the pilot select screen.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Use a recent nightly build and this ceases to be a fatal error.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Admiral-Sabree

• College student, studing in advertisment
I just had this issue happen when messing around with my radar color. How can I get a Nightly build to work with Knossos. Ive grabbed the most recent nightly and tried to run it with the default files but I still cant get it to launch the game. Window generated by Nightly gives me the same error and the option to debug or continue and neither do anything.

Ok I completely uninstalled Knossos and deleted all my files (extreme maybe but that's the best I could come up with) and the issue is still persisting, so I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm going to keep fiddling see if i can do anything. im out of ideas. Using 3.7.2 gets the game running but in such a huge zoom rate that I cant reach the options.

Another Update, created an isolated FS2 directory, redownloaded the game from GoG and Lowered the resolution. Its working with the Nightly 3.8.1 build. I'm unable to fix the Knossos one at this time but ive got a working base to try it. Welp im stuck until this sees a fix with the builds. It aint going anywhere. Don't know what Betamatcen  (assuming it was the Nightly) did but its not happening on my end.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:53:58 am by Admiral-Sabree »
So it begines...

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Go to your Knossos' settings, set your preferred stability to "Nightly", save, go to your home tab and update FSO there. Afterwards most mods should use a nightly build.

Reinstalling the game and/or Knossos, mods, etc. won't help since the cause for the error is a corrupted pilot save. Newer builds can handle them better than older builds but depending on what is corrupted in the pilot save, it might still cause issues. The newest nightly builds should convert the pilot saves into json files IIRC. That should help us figure out why the corruption happens in the first place and maybe allow us to fix the corrupted saves as well.

Offline Admiral-Sabree

Go to your Knossos' settings, set your preferred stability to "Nightly", save, go to your home tab and update FSO there. Afterwards most mods should use a nightly build.

Reinstalling the game and/or Knossos, mods, etc. won't help since the cause for the error is a corrupted pilot save. Newer builds can handle them better than older builds but depending on what is corrupted in the pilot save, it might still cause issues. The newest nightly builds should convert the pilot saves into json files IIRC. That should help us figure out why the corruption happens in the first place and maybe allow us to fix the corrupted saves as well.

Alright I'll give that a go. Some of my issue it seems is at least in part to my noobiness with knossos. Update, Ok so I swapped it to the Nightly and then updated FSO. Now the engine just crashes without an explanation. Running the FastDebug causes the pop up where non of the buttons work. Debug/continue/ and Exit only minimalize the window, preventing me from goin any further. Below is the actual error generated.

Error: Player file has invalid radar range -1, setting to default

Line: 188
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:59:02 pm by Admiral-Sabree »
So it begines...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Running the FastDebug causes the pop up where non of the buttons work. Debug/continue/ and Exit only minimalize the window, preventing me from goin any further.
Enable -window or -fullscreen_window ("Run in Window" and "Run in Fullscreen Window", respectively) to work around this SDL bug.

Below is the actual error generated.

Error: Player file has invalid radar range -1, setting to default

Line: 188
That's not an error; that's a warning. You'll have to hit "continue" and keep going until an actual error is encountered.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Admiral-Sabree

ok, ran in window. Allows me to click on the buttons debug and continue. Which both crash the game, with no further progress.
So it begines...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
ok, ran in window. Allows me to click on the buttons debug and continue. Which both crash the game, with no further progress.
And this is on latest nightly? Can you upload your player file somewhere?

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Admiral-Sabree

Well the most recent one that's available with Knossos. Anyway I probably can, where can i find the player file.
So it begines...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
IIRC is in %APPDATA%\HardLightProductions\FreeSpaceOpen\data\players
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Admiral-Sabree

Ok I uploaded it my Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MZd4PI5xEH5LpIFBJxpmV9j7TVciZ--M

That hopefully can help resolve the issue in the future. I followed what the most recent post said which was to simply delete the profile.
So it begines...

Yup - I had the same "radar range -1" error preventing me from starting the game.
the answer was as stated by niffiwan
find your pilot .plr file and delete it.

located  in the directory stated by niffiwan.   :yes:

Hi! A complete n00b here re-living his twenties again and having this same issue. Launching the game (bought from gog) itself works fine outside Knossos, but when trying all of the above I can't with some settings even get the error message. The game seems to start but sends me right back to desktop. Tried deleting my pilot profile, even re-installed both the game and Knossos, but no go. Any ideas what to try?  :confused:

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Okay, so a couple of diagnostic questions now. Starting with: what kind of a mod are you trying to play? If you're just launching Retail FS2, I'd like to interest you with MediaVPs - a pack of graphic updates that will also download and run one of the quite recent FSO builds that hopefully will have that problem circumvented.

Edit: Of course I mean in Knossos, find MediaVPs in the Explore tab.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.