Author Topic: how-to install freespace onto windows 10  (Read 5854 times)

how-to install freespace onto windows 10

I have a copy of descent freespace from the 90s.  Whenever I attempt to install this game onto my windows 10 OS, it won't seem to play beyond the desktop screen (Volition install/play) without freezing my computer and making some awful sounds (fan full-blast and hard-drive obviously working w/ no success).  Why can't I just play the game/campaign?
 :confused: :mad: :hopping: :banghead:?

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Re: how-to install freespace onto windows 10
Most of us have just bought the game on gog or steam at this point.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Just clarify, you are running a retail/vannila installation?
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Do you have admin rights? I think you have to right click and then use "run as admin"...

If you have a disc it's also pretty likely that the disc itself got damaged over the years. A process hanging and overworking your hardware is a pretty common side-effect of corrupt data.

You should run a health check on that CD although I think at this point you'd save yourself a lot of trouble if you just slapped down 10 bucks and bought it on GOG.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Pretty sure the retail installers were 16-bit?  Although that doesn't explain why it would lock up.  Do you have 32-bit Windows 10 (unlikely)?  If so, there's a chance you can get it to work, as 16-bit programs can be run on a 32-bit Windows.  64-bit Windows (almost all Windows installs at this point are 64-bit, as otherwise you can't utilize more than 4GB of RAM), however, has removed this functionality.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
If the Installer is incompatible Windows 10 will give an error message. And actually it should not to be anything to do with strange sounds.

But well, as far as i know, FreeSpace1 Retail can be installed and run without Problems on a 64-Bit System.

Run as Admin and Compatibility Mode to Windows 98 should do the trick. At least after you have updated the game to 1.06, not sure about the original and ST (1.03) version however.
But the Installer should even work them.

But well, it can be happen, that there is another process, that blocks FS.exe. For that look in "Analyze Wait Chain" for the FS.exe in the taskmgr windows task manager.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
What AV software do you use?  Perhaps try disabling it temporarily.