Author Topic: Things that rubbed you the wrong way  (Read 19337 times)

Things that rubbed you the wrong way
Are they any moments in Freespace campaigns that felt wrong or made you uncomfortable?

In the Derelict mission "The Sting", you are ordered to capture the cruiser Minerva, and they agree to surrender. But when the Auriga shows up, Command orders you to forget about capturing the Minerva and just kill them. Killing a surrendering enemy is a war crime. Sure, they did try to escape when the Auriga arrived, but they weren't even given a warning or an option to stand down again, Command just said that we had no use for them anymore, so kill them.
Shivans view most other species the way we view infectious diseases. They think they are doing good by curing the universe of them. After all, no one mourns the fate of smallpox.

The Final War For The Multiverse

Offline rubixcube

• best username ever
Re: Things that rubbed you the wrong way
Probably the penultimate mission where command nags the Bastion to "catch up with the Lucifer", how was this ever supposed to be possible? Lucy and Orion go at the same speed, and the Bastion was well back from the jump node on arrival.
Stuff

From good ol' FS2 : "Dammit, Command let Bosch escape !".

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
What's your problem with that line? It's a fair assessment of what happened.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
That if you chose to destory the GTT Omega in ...But Hate the Traitor the campaign is not mechanically set-up to stop your progress, despite the announcement of court martial in the debrief.

... which gets even worse when you consider that the campaign then progresses to elevate you into a command level position in Exodus...
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

That if you chose to destory the GTT Omega in ...But Hate the Traitor the campaign is not mechanically set-up to stop your progress, despite the announcement of court martial in the debrief.

... which gets even worse when you consider that the campaign then progresses to elevate you into a command level position in Exodus...

Every professional military leader started small y' know.

Offline 0rph3u5

I get that said trial for warcrimes (verbatim from the debrief) probably went the way of the player avatar due it being the events of an undercover operation (after all in real life, some states forgive crimes committed by police officers doing undercover work) and the intel you were uneittingly carrying ... but willingness of an officer to violate their oath of service (mentioned in the debrief) would raise a red flag regarding fittness for a command role...

... or the GTVA is so militaristic that said court martial is a sham, which in turn raises a host of questions ... which then require seperate (fan-)campaigns to deal with*

*Is this a shameless plug yet or do I need to finish a release for that? :D
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

Offline Fusion

The realization that I'd potentially prevented the Vasudans from being able to fight back against the Shivans earlier than they did by helping capture Alexander McCarthy, thus ensuring the Vasudans would rely on inferior weaponry that couldn't damage Shivan ships until the ceasefire and agreements were made to share technology with the Zods. A lot of lives would probably have been saved in the long run.

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
The realization that I'd potentially prevented the Vasudans from being able to fight back against the Shivans earlier than they did by helping capture Alexander McCarthy, thus ensuring the Vasudans would rely on inferior weaponry that couldn't damage Shivan ships until the ceasefire and agreements were made to share technology with the Zods. A lot of lives would probably have been saved in the long run.

Sounds like what I said in part 2 of n of the videos I've been doing.

Reminds me, I should get another one up...
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Probably the penultimate mission where command nags the Bastion to "catch up with the Lucifer", how was this ever supposed to be possible? Lucy and Orion go at the same speed, and the Bastion was well back from the jump node on arrival.
I guess the Bastion was supposed to jump to Sol just a moment after Lucy did. Which failed spectacularly with that one mis-jump. So the last mission was probably meant to be a capital ship duel but I guess  :v-old: had some problems either with performance or explaining why wouldn't Lucy just use its main cannons in subspace to cut up Bastion into pieces.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 12:37:02 pm by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

It's simply more heroic that way. But unless the Lucifer didn't turned around or used its semi-canonical (didn't had them in FS1) side cannons the Bastion would've been safe.

Offline CT27

The ending to "Homesick".

It was a great campaign that I really enjoyed up until then.

Are they any moments in Freespace campaigns that felt wrong or made you uncomfortable?

In the Derelict mission "The Sting", you are ordered to capture the cruiser Minerva, and they agree to surrender. But when the Auriga shows up, Command orders you to forget about capturing the Minerva and just kill them. Killing a surrendering enemy is a war crime. Sure, they did try to escape when the Auriga arrived, but they weren't even given a warning or an option to stand down again, Command just said that we had no use for them anymore, so kill them.

This is not a post promoting warcrimes (of course), but enemy combatants attempting to escape during an enemy attack are not "prisoners" persay.

Offline Snarks

The Phoenicia being ordered to stay to hold off the Sathanas in Bearbaiting. It bought all of like 20 seconds, which seems like a terrible tradeoff for a whole destroyer and its crew.

Offline CT27

The Phoenicia being ordered to stay to hold off the Sathanas in Bearbaiting. It bought all of like 20 seconds, which seems like a terrible tradeoff for a whole destroyer and its crew.

It was kind of the reverse situation when Command ordered the Colossus to depart (which then got destroyed by the Sathanas).  It's been a while since I played that mission, but IIRC the Colossus' captain didn't say they couldn't leave (because they were disabled or something) he said they wouldn't leave and would try to buy the Bastion more time.

Buying maybe a minute more for the Bastion wasn't worth the sacrifice of the Colossus.

Offline Fusion

I'd be willing to bet the Phoenicia was sold for scrap after Capella given the damage it took. Always seems to jump out with 2% hull integrity, and I doubt a ship is easily repaired from that level of damage.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I have a WIP FS Literary work (albeit stagnant for some time) which features the Phoenicia at one point after its encounter with the Sathanas.  Command does manage to rescue it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

This is not a post promoting warcrimes (of course), but enemy combatants attempting to escape during an enemy attack are not "prisoners" persay.

Small insert: the Auriga and her support ships might not have the legal protection through ius in bello as they are no regular fighting force, similar how exceptions were carved out against partisans and more recently terrorists by those who really wanted those exceptions...

The whole issue surrounding "irregular combatants"/"undeclared combatants"/"armed civilians" is a huge grey area in present day ius in bello
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 09:10:58 am by 0rph3u5 »

==================

I'm leaning more towards 0 seconds since I don't think the Sathanas slows down at all before firing, and vaporizing a Hecate-class destroyer takes less than two and a half seconds for a Sathanas.

Offline Lorric

Made me "uncomfortable"?

DIVE, DIVE, DIVE, HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT!!!!!

I almost jumped out of my chair the first time! :D