Author Topic: RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently parenting
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)
"But Galemp" you exclaim, "Why are you kitbashing all these FS1 models? Haven't you done enough already?" To which I reply, "Never."

This radical modification of the GTB Athena merges two fuselages, and replaces one cockpit/life support system with a giant cannon, for use as an experimental weapons platform. The co-pilot acts as a dedicated gunner for this weapon, monitoring targeting and testing results in real-time.

The table is set up to use an AAA beam so be sure Beam-free-all by default is set in your missions if you intend for this to be a player option, or if it appears in waves. Does anyone want interface art for this? It's not a priority. Let me know if I should generate some.

DOWNLOAD
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Re: RELEASE: XWP Athena (eXperimental Weapons Platform)
As I stated in the "What are you working on" thread, you should take a cue from the Germans and call it the Athena-Z.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Currently parenting
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
That's what it's called in the table provided. :)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Nyctaeus

• Betrayal is his middle name
  • Lazy, retarded and speaking polgrish.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
I haven't noticed this before. Very cool thing! After a small modification, the turret may become third primary bank perfect for some long-range weaponry. Makes me wanting to play some FS1-themed campaign, where you fly this thing and snipe main cannons of enemy warship with some Archer-like primary.

I once had the same idea but never implemented it to FS.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | DA Profile | P3D Profile

MY RELEASED CONTENT SO FAR
Old Conversions | GTSD Anchorage | ORFg Tychicus | GTCa Sagittarius | SCv Scylla | EFC Evangelist | EFFg Solomon | GTL Latona | SC Raguel | PVD Atum | GTCv Eurynome | FractalSpace - Apophysis Skydome Pack | Updated Ancients Models
All of my stuff can be used ONLY in Freespace campaigns and missions.

Veteran modder and graphic designer of all kinds. 3D is my speciality. Feel free to PM me if you looking for a model or other GFX help.

Offline Nightmare

WTF how did I miss this ship???

Docking point has no properties BTW

Thrusters are not attached to one of the 2 engine subsystems

The hull is outside of the shields at 2 points on the wings
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 09:55:16 pm by Nightmare »

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
I like it. It has a TIE Bomber feel to it, what with its asymmetrical double fuselage design  :nod: 
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please visit; https://iainbakerfreelance.co.uk or https://www.fiverr.com/ibfreelance

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
  • A Typhon-class destroyer.
I liked the Athena in FS1, this is Athena+! very cool!

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
This is ABSOLUTELY great!
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

I always approve of a giant cannon on a bomber. I suppose someone could also table it to carry some bombs anyway.
Mito [PL] - Today at 8:52 PM
I was supposed to make a short presentation about basics of optical fibers and here I am, listening to Eurobeat while reading about quantum cryptography.