Author Topic: Freespace Headcanons  (Read 14594 times)

Will do if I find some time. :) Perhaps FS is to blame for my thinking, as one of the basic ideas I had about it was that there was a fundamental difference between the Shivans and all other intelligent species, as Terrans and Vasudans were comparable similar.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The general takeaway is that things like 'governments', 'valuing your own life', or (for that matter) 'moving people (rather than zygotes) between stars' are all very narrow, human ways to look at the problem.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
It is possible, reading the canon, that the Ancients met the Shivans as soon as months after discovering subspace.

Not really. They had enough time after they discovered subspace to master it to the point of being able to construct Knossos portals (something Terrans and Vasudan weren't able to do despite a half century or more of subspace tech development) and construct at the absolute least three of them, potentially many more.

Debatably they could have been building Knossos' as part of the war effort somehow, but that seems an odd use of probably a substantial amount of time and resources in an existential struggle.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
That is a good point. Of course as of the time the FS1 monologues were written nobody had thought of Knossos portals  :nervous:

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life

For us, an interstellar, STL culture is unimaginable. Our experience shows that we would lose much of whatever commonality we started out with in just a few decades of isolation.

But if we assume that the Ancients could built an interstellar society that way, then that must mean that their culture is much more static than ours is. That they can remain recognizably "Ancient" even if they've been out of touch with their homeworld for thousands of years.

To me, that suggests that they are slow to develop new ideas, and somewhat reluctant to adopt them when they do.

Aha, an excellent point.  :nod: Thanks!

Offline Firesteel

• Some Kind of Writer
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • YouTube Channel
On the subject of STL interstellar war, I highly recommend the Forever War if you haven't read it.

While I do agree with Battuta that you could read the Ancients as running into the Shivans months after their discovery of subspace, their first monologue makes it seem like they exploited it to conquer more of the galaxy faster than they had (though if we're still viewing them as predominantly using seed ships, I could still see the months, though the Knossos stuff does again possibly contradict that).
Current Projects:

- Video Critiques of Freespace
- Re-learning FRED

On the subject of STL interstellar war, I highly recommend the Forever War if you haven't read it.

I'd recommend Gunbuster. :p

For us, an interstellar, STL culture is unimaginable. Our experience shows that we would lose much of whatever commonality we started out with in just a few decades of isolation.

But if we assume that the Ancients could built an interstellar society that way, then that must mean that their culture is much more static than ours is. That they can remain recognizably "Ancient" even if they've been out of touch with their homeworld for thousands of years.

To me, that suggests that they are slow to develop new ideas, and somewhat reluctant to adopt them when they do.

Aha, an excellent point.  :nod: Thanks!

Good thing I already used these ideas in my little story. :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I personally think it would be kinda dumb if they were just a subspace empire for months.

The Kayser uses a derivative of the Banshee power system.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Main gun Plasma cores are reloaded like old school artillery field guns and then require reconditioning before they can be used again. Much like a vape coil for some reason my head conjured up.  Each ship has a stash and in normal conditions is able to get them to last for a tour.   In wartime tempo, they'll obviously get used up quicker.   (Entirely derived from surrender bellisarius)  Headcanon remember.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

My new headcannon is that the Ulysses was used as an interceptor between the Valkyrie's retirement and the introduction of the Perseus.

• When you join the 242nd suicide kings they're already an established interceptor squadron and there must be other dedicated interceptor squadrons in the GTVA yet the Valkyrie must have been retired for some time since you never see a single one anywhere. SM1-08 is explicitly stated to be the first combat field test of the new Perseus interceptor, meaning all of those squadrons must've been flying something else in the preceeding months of the NTF war.
  • The Ulysses can reach 150m/s on afterburners(compared to the 140m/s for the Perseus) and while it's afterburners last 0.5s shorter than the Perseus they recharge more than a second faster, giving it more overall afterburner time.
  • The Aquataine carries Ulysses fighters yet they're almost never deployed(outside of A game of TAG), implying they were used for something before but aren't anymore. It would make sense that it was carrying Ulys before it got its first shipment of Percys
  • While the Loki is even faster at 160m/s afterburner(20 more than the Perseus) you very rarely have it as the GTVA, perhaps its miniature single secondary bank made it unsuitable for bomber-hunting with tempests so it was only used as a recon craft(it would explain their low numbers)
  • This might even explain the weirdness of the Perseus design(amazing space superiority fighter but not that fast in a straight line). Since the Ulysses was originally a space superiority fighter it could obviously pull double duty as both interceptor and space superiority. Perhaps commanders got so used to this tactical flexibility that it was a serious consideration during the Perseus' design stage. And with the new flak and AAA beam systems it's possible that a "pure" interceptor design was deemed unecessary. The use of the Ulysses in wargames and the early stages of the NTF war could "confirm" this before Capella would completely expose the holes in that idea.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Also bear in mind that they already had a perfectly good pure interceptor in the form of the Horus from the Vasudans.

In a pinch, the Terran parts of the fleet could have a few transferred over and converted to Terran controls, in the event of the failure of the Perseus program.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Headcanon.   Using the hallfight cutscene for scale reference, in particular the marines against the door of the Elysium- I imagine Orions to be very very cramped for 10'000 crew.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline starlord

The thing with that theory is that one of the characteristics of interceptors aside from speed is the fact of having stopping power in the form of ample secondaries.

This is something the Ulysses lacks, due to it being more in the space superiority breed, where maneuvrability and primary weapons are key.

The Ulysses definitely works as a scout though.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 07:04:23 am by starlord »

Headcanon.   Using the hallfight cutscene for scale reference, in particular the marines against the door of the Elysium- I imagine Orions to be very very cramped for 10'000 crew.

Do you mean with that how the interior is built? Because 10000/2000m makes 1 crewman every 5 meters, but the ship is hundreds of meters wide and has dozens of decks.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Do you mean with that how the interior is built? Because 10000/2000m makes 1 crewman every 5 meters, but the ship is hundreds of meters wide and has dozens of decks.

You have ever been on a non-nuclear, military submarine? - You know the ones designed that way that at best two people in the entire boat can be away from their station/shared bed/galley
(Its a dying design as lot of componenents arctually get smaller, but they exist(ed))
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:57:22 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Nope. Just FS stated that an Orion is an nuclear (fusion-powered) submarine. Given their size and sheer inner volume I don't think it would be designed in a way it would be particular uncomfortable, though any kind of luxus would be a waste of space that'd be bad on the battlefield.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I feel the need to clarify, looking at the scale of marines to the Elysium, (from hallfight.mve) then the Elysium to the Orion, humanity have clearly evolved to be 40 foot high.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Nope. Just FS stated that an Orion is an nuclear (fusion-powered) submarine

Source please.

Given their size and sheer inner volume I don't think it would be designed in a way it would be particular uncomfortable, though any kind of luxus would be a waste of space that'd be bad on the battlefield.

The Orion is a design that can almost be described as brutalistic, which means it is function over comfort all the way down...

Side note: I am inclined to say that it looks like that some part of the Orion's lower hull, including the fighter bay, might have been additions to the design rather than an original feature.
Side note to side note: Orion with an Icanus-style weapons array instead of the hangar...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:50:45 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
The reference bible refers to an Orions "Fusion Pile Genrators".
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.