Author Topic: FSO Installer error on Mac OSX 10.14.5  (Read 5627 times)

FSO Installer error on Mac OSX 10.14.5
Hello!

I have recently found Freespace online and I am wanting to relive some of my youth by playing Freespace 1 & 2 again! Only problem is that I have a Mac for work and I don't really want to buy a PC just for a game.

ive downloaded a copy of Freespace 2 from GOG and managed to get the installer working, however the attached image is the error I am presented with.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Ian.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Re: FSO Installer error on Mac OSX 10.14.5
Probably just use Knossos, it's available for Mac too and way more common these days:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94068.0

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
@ianvoyager: Sorry to see the error.  As the message says, InnoExtract -- which is like 7Zip for GOG applications -- was not able to extract the necessary files.  If you upload your log file I should be able to track down exactly why.  This should be called something like Install_FreeSpace_2_from_GOG_package.log

Alternatively, you can try Knossos as Nightmare suggested.

Hi and thanks very much for the replys to my little problem!

I think I have attached the correct log file. Ill try the new software link when I get a chance to!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Well, this is interesting; there are no errors in that log file.  Could you zip and upload the entire logs folder?

More then likely I have done something to screw up this somehow! Heres the whole logs folder:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It looks like this is a minor incompatibility with the way OSX handles terminal commands.  I'm not surprised to run into this because I think you're the first person to test extracting a GOG setup file on the Mac. :)

Can you run the following two commands, verbatim, in a terminal and post the results?

Code: [Select]
/Users/ianbell/Games/Freespace Open/faf983761735437183cf57046c9b1bc9/innoextract-1.4-osx

"/Users/ianbell/Games/Freespace Open/faf983761735437183cf57046c9b1bc9/innoextract-1.4-osx"

The FSO Installer is supposed to enclose paths in quotes before passing them to the terminal, but it looks like OSX also encloses them in quotes.  Running those two commands will help confirm whether this is true.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Goob, I think on macOS (and probably Unix in general?) spaces in paths are usually escaped. I think wrapping paths in quotes is more of a Windows thing, but i could be wrong.

In any case, I suggest trying the following command in macOS's Terminal:

Code: [Select]
/Users/ianbell/Games/Freespace\ Open/faf983761735437183cf57046c9b1bc9/innoextract-1.4-osx

That said, ianvoyager, you may want to give Knossos a try as well, as Nightmare mentioned.

In fact, if you could help me with testing the macOS version of Knossos 0.14.0, that would be great. 0.13.3 is the current version, because there's a macOS-specific issue that I've been trying to help ngld debug and that is blocking 0.14.0 from replacing 0.13.3. I'll move that conversation to PM, though, since it isn't relevant to this topic.

I pasted the commands into terminal and it provided the following...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sorry for the late response; was away the past few days.

That screenshot is exactly what I was looking for.  I expected the second command to work though.  Can you tell me if the faf983761735437183cf57046c9b1bc9 directory exists?

Also, for testing purposes, could you try that quoted command again, but this time with two double quotes?  So ""command"" instead of "command".

Hi, sorry I have been busy with work and family matters.

I attempted to add the second " to the command but it delivered the same result - I have attached the terminal reply.

Should I try that other program that was suggested?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The other program - Knossos - should work for you.  But I want to make sure the FSO Installer is fixed for the benefit of other people using Macs.  Can you download this installer and tell me if it fixes the problem?

Also, can you answer this question from the previous post?

Can you tell me if the faf983761735437183cf57046c9b1bc9 directory exists?

EDIT: Addendum: if it exists, can you post a screenshot of what is inside the folder?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 02:13:26 pm by Goober5000 »

Im afraid I can't seem to locate that directory anywhere on my computer. I performed a full system search and it only showed logs as possible options...I have attached a screen cap to show.

I attempted to run the installer and it worked until I found an error, apparently with the GOG file. I have attached a screen shot of this too.

Thanks again for the help with this problem, if we can troubleshoot this to help others I am more then keen to keep on going!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Very glad to see your response!  It's great when newbies not only persevere but are also willing to help others in the same position.

I suspect that your computer deleted that directory because it's a temporary directory and not guaranteed to stick around forever.  We'll just keep debugging.  Can you attach your logs folder again?

Sure thing, logs are attached as a .zip

I also got an error towards the end of the installers work asking for "OpenAL" to be installed. Ive not looks into this as of yet, but I don't suppose thing could be affecting anything?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Sorry for the delay -- long story. :rolleyes:  The good news is that I can try to diagnose this again.  The bad news is that the previous test installer I sent you did not appear to have my new changes.

Download this version and try again.  If it doesn't work, please attach your logs folder like before.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Bump.  @ianvoyager, are you still around?

Hi everyone,

I had the same problem, but I think I've gotten closer to a solution. I traced the problem (I think) to innoextract. The version used in FSOInstaller is 1.4 (that's old), which can't extract GOG files built with newer InnoSetup versions (which the freespace2 gog install file I just downloaded is). I tried to update innoextract on my mac (which was it's own odyssey), but that doesn't seem to have changed the version the installer was using. If the installer could use 1.8 instead of 1.4, I think this would fix the issue.

(if it helps, I was able to extract the setup file using innoextract on the command line - so I know both innoextract 1.8 and the newer gog install work correctly together)

Let me know if you'd like me to try anything on my end.

-dylan

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ah, well done!  Thank you, that is a solid candidate for the cause of the problem.

I have updated the code of the Installer to use version 1.8 of innoextract.  Unfortunately, the innoextract website does not provide Mac binaries, and I don't have a Mac to build one with.  Would you be able to upload the copy you built?

Hi Goob,

Perfect. How would you like me to send it to you? The forum doesn't want me to send a binary file... Also, do you need info on how I built it, i.e. osx, boost, cmake, etc. versions? I don't know how relevant any of that would be.

Best,

-dylan