Author Topic: FreeSpace Open Standalone Games  (Read 2139 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
FreeSpace Open Standalone Games
*inserts reminder for self to update main page announce slideshow*  Nice work!

You need to update the number of "Standalone Games" too! :D

What is now the correct number of "Standalone Games"?

1) Diaspora
2) Wings of Dawn
3) The Babylon Project
4) Fate of the Galaxy
5) FringeSpace
6) Wing Commander Saga
7) Solaris

... am I missing any?

Re: FreeSpace Open Standalone Games
Star Fox Event Horizon

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Minbari Project: Babylon 4

Spoiler:
Starlancer: The Sol War
(even it was dmca'd a few months after release... so it is not freely available anymore. And it was not based upon the Source Code by HLP anyway. So this are two reasons not to count it anyway)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:19:14 am by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Do fringespace or FotG have playable releases?  I didn't think they did.

No they don't (yet). My personal guess would be that at some point TAP and Stellar Assault were somehow included in this list, but I am not sure.

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
100% trolling: lolz wut about shattered stars

from a technical standpoint it is

not a game but an instrument of torture

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
...and it's not standalone. And it's actually set in FS universe... Somehow o__O
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do fringespace or FotG have playable releases?  I didn't think they did.
No they don't (yet). My personal guess would be that at some point TAP and Stellar Assault were somehow included in this list, but I am not sure.

So +3, -2, total should be 8 Standalone games available for download and play at this point?

Available for DL are only 5 - Diaspora, Wings of Dawn, The Babylon Project, Wing Commander Saga, Solaris.

TAP got cancelled, Stellar Assaul got dumped, FringeSpace is unreleased w/o ETA, FotG is hopefully available soon...

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
Available for DL are only 5 - Diaspora, Wings of Dawn, The Babylon Project, Wing Commander Saga, Solaris.

Actually, Babylon 4: Minbari Project is available again with the return of FSMods.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Actually, Babylon 4: Minbari Project is available again with the return of FSMods.

Huh, it's not part of TBP?

Also, there's Star Fox but it's only a Demo right now. On top of that there's Star Wars - Original Trilogy but nobody ever made missions for it so it probably doesn't count.

Actually, maybe a mod could cut out the posts and move it to site support? Updating the mainsite properly is important but it doesn't have to be in Darius' release thread.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Ehhh... Guys?

It's basicly Solaris release thread, huh? So perhaps we should argue how many TCs this community released elsewhere?

It reminds me that I still need to make review of Solaris. I love it. Some things are annoying, but I absolutely love it if I summarize everything.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Well that's what I suggested; I ask on Discord if somebodys available~

Offline Axem

I've split the thread and moved the discussion here. :)

Offline Novachen

• Twitter
*inserts reminder for self to update main page announce slideshow*  Nice work!

You need to update the number of "Standalone Games" too! :D

What is now the correct number of "Standalone Games"?

1) Diaspora
2) Wings of Dawn
3) The Babylon Project
4) Fate of the Galaxy
5) FringeSpace
6) Wing Commander Saga
7) Solaris

... am I missing any?

In terms of released and still available Standalone Games, it should be 8.

Next to 1), 2), 3), 6) and 7) there is the already mentioned Minbari Project and Shattered Stars (which runs without FS2). But i think the important one that was not mentioned before is Battlestar Galactica: Beyond the Red Line.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Shattered Stars (which runs without FS2)
It requires MediaVPs despite the fact it has lots of MVPs maps etc. included in it's files. Bryan See never separated all the required files correctly.

But... It doesn't run o___O. It rather crawls...

AFAIK it got totally broken as Bryan couldn't figure out how many End_Multi_Text's he needs in his tbls, so there were multiple ships that ended as tech descriptions.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Technically, Beyond the Red Line should be on the list.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.

Huh, it's not part of TBP?

Nope, they branched off to completely overhaul the flight model for their ships - basically they wanted theirs to be more realistic with higher speeds and more glide, if I recall correctly.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."