Author Topic: i can haz text to speech on Linux SCP?  (Read 1053 times)

i can haz text to speech on Linux SCP?
This is probably a stupid question*, but are there any options to enable text-to-speech functionality in Linux?  I'm specifically running Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and looking for the text-to-speech settings in Knossos 0.13.3.

Had a bit of a "duh" moment when I thought to myself, "Oh yeah, Microsoft Sam etc probably aren't available on Linux, genius!"  So, that out of the way, I'm wondering if there is a way to enable something else?

*Full disclosure, I'm well into "middle age" and only finally took the plunge into Linux a couple months ago, so I am pretty clueless about what works and doesn't work in Linux or how to do it.  I just couldn't stand how slow Windows made this old machine, and I'm too cheap to replace the mainboard and CPU just yet.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Re: i can haz text to speech on Linux SCP?
Soooo, I'm guessing that's a "no" then...
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
yeah, I'm not aware of anything that provides TTS on Linux - but I haven't looked that hard either
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Ok thanks!
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
This might be a bit late but...

FSO doesn't support TTS on Linux due to this Knossos doesn't display the TTS settings to not give people false hope. :P
If anyone adds TTS support for Linux (which is very much possible), I'll enable the TTS settings (or rather write a new section since the options will probably be different) for Linux.

Ok, makes good sense.  Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me!
Rejoice."
-David Bazan