Author Topic: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!  (Read 29278 times)

Online wesp5

TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!
Thanks to karajorma and others TBP has been finally moved to FSO 3.8.0 and has been released on Knossos! Find it here: https://fsnebula.org/mod/TBP

Please report any issues in this thread! I will start...

1. The game will display a shockwave error when 3D shockwaves are selected under options (this is common and not connected to the Achen Campaign).
2. It also seems that title screens are not getting reszized to the correct resolutions, but only cut sections of them are visible if the resolution is too low...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 09:30:57 am by wesp5 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: TBP 3.6.0 released on Knossos!
What do you mean by resolution too low?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Lots of datas...
In the file "Data.7z", there's another data folder inside the main folder (i.e. Data.7z/data) which contains the FRED documentation and a couple movies which are most likely not be found by the game.

Online wesp5

What do you mean by resolution too low?

I tested it in a window with I would guess 800x600 or 1024x768, I'll have to check tomorrow...

Is that actually a problem unless you're running window mode?

Online wesp5

Is that actually a problem unless you're running window mode?

Could be. I narrowed it to the default Knossos launcher not having any resolution set. In that case the title screens might get cropped. If you choose a resolution, even the smallest one, it looks fine! So has anyone of you access to Knossos to have it set some default resolution that the mods can read?

On another note, I had the 3.6.0 release announced on Blues News and I added an article to the ModDB page pointing to the Knossos version. Has someone access to the main TBP page to update the info there too? Also can we see download numbers in Knossos to judge how many people play it?

Offline Robsoie

As i was in a nostalgia mood and was replaying old "Babylon 5 I've Found Her" (and i managed to find her :D sadly she exploded a minute after) , i remembered there was a B5 game made with the freespace engine here.

And even better it was on knossos so easy to download, thanks.

So a few questions after playing a few of the Raider Wars missions :

- i see on this sub board that there's a 3.6.16 version from 2013, yet on knossos it's only 3.6.0 , so am i playing a very outdated version ?

- on reading some old threat i see mention of a Zathras mod and nearly everywhere it was recommended to get it, yet it looks like it's also from several years ago so is it always required on the knossos version ?

- on knossos release there's a training mission and the raider wars campaigns, on the board here there's a pack of additional campaigns but looking at the date it seems to be from 2012. So are they still compatible with the knossos release or do they need some work before getting there ?

Anyways, lots of fun so far in the campaign, good work !

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
- i see on this sub board that there's a 3.6.16 version from 2013, yet on knossos it's only 3.6.0 , so am i playing a very outdated version ?

That is a bit confusing because there are two version numbers in play here:

1) The version number of TBP, which up until the Knossos release had been 3.4b; the current Knossos release is 3.6 (or 3.6.0) and the most up-to-date version, and thanks to Knossos' handy developer interface will always be the most up-to-date version.

2) And the version number of the Freespace_Open Engine. Which is still being measured by 3.X.Y - with 3.8.0 the latest stable release version and 3.8.1 the current line of versions in testing - but soon will be measured differently.

On the developer side there might have been a few, now unfortunate short-hands over the years, e.g the 3.6.16 version you are referring to basically is TBP 3.4b run on the 3.6.16 version of Freespace_Open to capitilize on improvement to the multiplayer code. These things happend when "everyone knows what we are talking about".

Knossos has made such detail oriented approaches obsolete however as it automates the distribution process into an (almost) one-click solution for the player.

- on reading some old threat i see mention of a Zathras mod and nearly everywhere it was recommended to get it, yet it looks like it's also from several years ago so is it always required on the knossos version ?

Zathras was the result of some internal drama over the fate of the 3.4b version. Basically Zathras was a collection of patches for TBP version 3.4b which were not allowed to call themselves patches or a version 3.5.

It is now obsolete.

- on knossos release there's a training mission and the raider wars campaigns, on the board here there's a pack of additional campaigns but looking at the date it seems to be from 2012. So are they still compatible with the knossos release or do they need some work before getting there ?

They will need some work getting there, ranging for the cosmetic to the technical - e.g. stars.tbl which acts a referrence for graphics that get layered onto the skybox (e.g. Planets) was significantly changed. Old missions would as the result of that change appear to only have a blank starfield for a background ( or worse ).

As Knossos doesn't have advanced search and filter criteria yet, it is also a bit difficult to bring old campaigns over to Knossos and have them be easily found.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 07:15:23 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Robsoie

Thank you for the answers !

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
Has someone access to the main TBP page to update the info there too?
I'm guessing the only people left who have access are the admins but updating TBP's website would be really helpful.

Also the new freighters' textures are reportedly broken.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Online wesp5

They need to be converted manually. Once you finish the Raider Wars, you find some more missions and the two First Ones mini campaigns in my Unofficial Patch here: https://www.moddb.com/games/the-babylon-project/addons/the-babylon-project-unofficial-patch Sooner or latter the other campaigns will surely be converted for the Knossos version too!

Will they be released separately or included in the main release?

Online wesp5

Will they be released separately or included in the main release?

Right now my stuff is available separately, but in good time I hope it will end up in the main game.

How many hours would it take to complete Raider Wars campaign? I am chatting with SpaceGameJunkie and suggested he do a stream playing it for some exposure.

Offline 0rph3u5

How many hours would it take to complete Raider Wars campaign? I am chatting with SpaceGameJunkie and suggested he do a stream playing it for some exposure.

Raider Wars is adding up to like 8-10 hours, I recall. But TBP always had a bit more difficulty build in compared with other FS_Open content, so your mileage may vary greatly.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

I posted a screen shot of TBP running on my simpit with my new 4K display on the Facebook B4 room and so far is has 370 likes.  There is a lot of interest.

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]

Anyone seen and English version of this cool page I found?

http://www.kultloesungen.de/doku.php/thebabylonprojectraidere

Offline Robsoie

You can try a google translated version of that page

Amazing simpit OverDhill !

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I've also noticed some issues with the Starfury MK1 textures.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline 0rph3u5

I've also noticed some issues with the Starfury MK1 textures.

EAM_Aurora_Mk1.pof uses the texture EAM_Aurora which is UVed for the geometry of EAM_Aurora.pof -- which do not overlap as it used to be with Aurora-variants in 3.4b.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 07:11:08 pm by 0rph3u5 »

==================