Author Topic: MediaVPs 4.0.x Discussion Thread  (Read 15692 times)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: MediaVPs 4.0.x Discussion Thread
That's still not the correct log. Are you sure you are running a debug build first?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
That's still not the correct log. Are you sure you are running a debug build first?

Trying to, but perhaps I'm not doing it right. What do I need to do to run a debug build first?
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Code: [Select]
Opened log 'data/fs2_open.log', Sun Jan 13 22:56:38 2019 ...
Nope that's not the right log.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Click on the "down arrow" icon on the tile for MediaVPs 4.0. The top option in the list should be "Run Fast Debug". Just click on that; play until you hit the bug; then provide the debug log link.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Click on the "down arrow" icon on the tile for MediaVPs 4.0. The top option in the list should be "Run Fast Debug". Just click on that; play until you hit the bug; then provide the debug log link.

Tried that, didn't work. The problem is that it doesn't run the game at all which is probably why it is not generating a new debug log and keeps showing the one from January with VD.

:confused:
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
When you click Play on the MediaVPs does it bring up a window showing you all the selected mods with an option to OK or CANCEL?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
When you click Play on the MediaVPs does it bring up a window showing you all the selected mods with an option to OK or CANCEL?

'fraid not. All that happens is the 'FSO is launching' text flickers on for a split second in the box next to the white search box, then nothing.  :confused:

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Sounds like Knossos isn't finding a build to run. In your Knossos settings, what FSO Build channel are you allowing? I'm assuming it's set to 'Stable'.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Sounds like Knossos isn't finding a build to run. In your Knossos settings, what FSO Build channel are you allowing? I'm assuming it's set to 'Stable'.

I have tried 'Stable', 'RCs' and  'Nightlies'. Same result with each.

I tried altering the FSO build too. Mod default didn't work. FSO 19.0.0-RC1 didn't work. On a whim I tried it with FSO 3.8.0-3. That DID work, but with error pop-up boxes. So I have a partial workaround now :-)

Any advice re how to get everything to play nice together will still be greatly appreciated of course :-)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Did you do anything custom with your install?

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Did you do anything custom with your install?

I don't think so. I just ticked all the boxes as usual

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Nice release. Considering all the rings I had to jump through in order to get both FS1 and FS1 MediaVPS Content while having custom tables back when I was setting up a certain project of mine, this is certainly massive step in the right direction.

FS1 Port updated yet?
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Nope not yet.

Offline AV8R

For those who like the manual method, here are the files you'll need to put in your MediaVPs_40x folder, including custom bitmap files for the launcher (until a ninja comes and steals them on the black market):

1) mod.ini
2) FS2.bmp
3) Fs2_Small.bmp

They are compressed into a ZIP file for your convenience.  :pimp:

[attachment eaten by a Shivan]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:57:00 pm by AV8R »

Offline AV8R

Visually, as usual, the new MediaVPs are stunning. I have, and always will, love the graphics work the Hard-Light crew have produced. Amazing work.

Now, the updated explosion sounds - awful. Listening to an Arcadia installation self-destruct and hearing what I can only describe as a "poochie, poochie, poochie" sound for each explosion is absolutely disconcerting and wrong.

Please tell me there is a way to override the new explosion sounds in favor of the old ones. Please.  :(

Please tell me there is a way to override the new explosion sounds in favor of the old ones. Please.  :(

You can extract the old files from the MVPs and put them into MVPs/data/sounds, but you need to make sure that they're named identical.

Offline AV8R

I'm afraid I've never picked apart a VP file to extract bits of what is contained in them. Can this be done with FRED?

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I'm afraid I've never picked apart a VP file to extract bits of what is contained in them. Can this be done with FRED?
There is software that can do it, such as VPView32 and VPmage.  It's best to have both.

VPView32 can be found here: https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/VPView32

This will allow you to see images, hear sounds, open, and read info inside .VPs without extracting them, as well as extract files. But you can't make/edit VP files with it.

VPmage can be found here:

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/VPMage

You can both extract and make .VPs with this one, but you can't view anything more then file titles and directories.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
This thread makes me wonder, is it possible to have multiple sound files selected for a single sound table entry? It would be awesome to have different sounding booms each time a boom happens.  :)
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299