Author Topic: If you're still on Windows 7, now might be a good time to use the free upgrade  (Read 6389 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
If you're still on Windows 7, now might be a good time to use the free upgrade
Windows 7 support ended today (unless you've got Enterprise, in which case you can pay an increasing annual fee starting at $100 to retain support, for up to three years).  As far as I know, you can still get the free upgrade by downloading Windows 10 from Microsoft here, as outlined in this ZDNet article.   You can always uninstall later if it doesn't work.

EDIT: Oh, and disable the telemetry stuff with O&O ShutUp10.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 05:59:45 pm by jr2 »

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: If you're still on Windows 7, now might be a good time to use the free upgrade
XP FTW!    :D
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Re: If you're still on Windows 7, now might be a good time to use the free upgrade
If I wanted to use the free Windows 10 upgrade I would have either done it when it became available or when Win 10 has matured a bit.

I might be at some point forced to switch if I want to use some of the most recent hardware or play some modern games, but today definitely isn't the day.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I am using Win7-64 and my intention is to pick up an SSD this summer (funds depending) and a copy of Win10-64 and set it up as a dual-boot system.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

I have a pretty complicated setup with 7 controllers and some older games.  I was worried that a Windows 10 upgrade would make life miserable but I did an image of my Windows 7 64 system and used the Windows Update Assistant  and did an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for free. Any legal Win7 key will let you do this for free.  I  had no problems with any of my older games running and I think it actually runs some games better.

I then went around the house and upgraded all my machines.

Do it while it is still free,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I created a new 7 partition on both my own and my parents' machines and upgraded them to 10 back when the free upgrade was first announced. I didn't even touch them until this weekend when I used GParted to resize them and start actually using 10. There were some misadventures (GParted nerfed something with booting on both partitions, so I had to use my 7 install disk to repair things), but so far so decent.

I have been very satisfied with Win10. only thing that was an inconvenience I had to do was disable the tracking/logging. Other than that I just don't mess with much and let windows handle itself (except active update hours - configured those for something that works for me and have been satisfied so far).

Honestly 10 is probably my favorite windows to date, and I've spent a lot of time using 2000, XP, and 7.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I'm assuming all the people refusing to leave 7 are the same ones who refused to leave XP? NEW BAD, OLD GOOD. HARUMPH.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Seriously. Win10 is fine. It's got all the functionality. Everything works. How much more "maturity" do you want?
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
I think I might get win-10 and/or make a duel-boot after I get some upgrades.

I'm not sure I can just put 10 in this machine as smoothly as everyone else here. . . .

*looks at super old motherboard that can't accept more then 8 GB of RAM*

*looks at how I have a duel-boot with Ubuntu that does not work very well*

*Thinks about how I have to use Ctrl-Shift-Esc and create a new task to manually finish the booting the PC because the registry's so borked*

*Stares in horror at realization that drive-cloning may not work / might cause these issues to carry over*

*and how my files are spread over my two hard-drives and that I need to go in and sort/save them all*

*looks at all the no-money I have for a new machine*

. . .

I'll have to wait a few more months. . .
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I have been very satisfied with Win10. only thing that was an inconvenience I had to do was disable the tracking/logging. Other than that I just don't mess with much and let windows handle itself (except active update hours - configured those for something that works for me and have been satisfied so far).

Honestly 10 is probably my favorite windows to date, and I've spent a lot of time using 2000, XP, and 7.

Oh, thanks, I forgot.  Disable telemetry with O&O ShutUp10.

Really, if you're on 7, at least get the upgrade on a cloned partition or drive or something.  Win 10 is much faster (uses newer tech such as memory compression, which is much faster than using uncompressed memory pages, etc).  That way you at least have the option to use 10 later.

EDIT: Oh, and look, the cleanest way to do this is a clean install, either replacing, or dual-booting with your current OS, after you complete the upgrade.  Once you've finished the upgrade and gone online, your hardware is licenced for Windows 10 and you can clean install Win 10 straight from a flash drive onto a wiped or new drive, and it will auto-activate once it's online.

As has been mentioned, you can use a valid Win 7 / 8 / 8.1 key during a clean install to do the same thing, and you could get the key using Magical Jellybean Keyfinder, however some AV software think it's a virus (it isn't, it can just *shock* read your product keys :rolleyes: ).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 06:06:59 pm by jr2 »

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Seriously. Win10 is fine. It's got all the functionality. Everything works. How much more "maturity" do you want?

Win10 has a tendency to mess up compatibility with older games with each update. And I don't mean old games as they are, I mean the gog versions with the fixes and everything.
My experience on the gog forums is that if someone has some weird issue that should have already been solved he probably has windows 10.

I'll still probably need to make the jump sooner or later but I am in no rush.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind

Win10 has a tendency to mess up compatibility with older games with each update. And I don't mean old games as they are, I mean the gog versions with the fixes and everything.
My experience on the gog forums is that if someone has some weird issue that should have already been solved he probably has windows 10.

Does running older games in compatability mode make a difference?
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

Does running older games in compatability mode make a difference?
From what I understand no, because it's not the games themselves but the various compatibility fixes that got broken like the wrappers for the redbook audio many older windows games had.
Sometimes it's also windows randomly disabling legacy features that were enabled before updating, directplay is the most frequent.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I was about to write that I have had zero issues with games on Windows 10, but then you reminded me that I had to go manually enable DirectPlay.  Win10 also does not play nice (or at all, really) with SecuROM DRM, but for all of my SuckuWRONG games I was already using a no-disc .exe.  I still have an XP partition set up from when I migrated to Windows 7 64-bit, in case I needed it for some older games, but I literally have not touched that partition in years. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Win10 also does not play nice (or at all, really) with SecuROM DRM

Given how DRM used to work I think this might be a feature.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Actually, do tell - are there any accessible ways to make the Win10 interface more like a normal system? (Compared to Win 7 at least, I really like my functional interface on my device that will not see any sort of touch screen or tablet EVER)
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I use Open Shell to get the start menu to look like Win7.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
I use Open Shell to get the start menu to look like Win7.

https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

I used to, but now I use Start Menu Reviver

https://www.reviversoft.com/start-menu-reviver/

Also, have a look here for a list of those kind of programs: https://alternativeto.net/software/classic-start/

So, to address compatibility: see if you can set up dual-boot and have one Win 10 partition for everything that's not old and Win 7 for everything else.  You can still as far as I can tell use Windows 7 using your key on a different partition.

You can also delay Windows 10 updates for a long time and move into even more stable update rings than the normal ring Windows has, IIRC.  I forget the Group Policy tweaks you have to apply, but I've done them and it's much less annoying now (I also forced the auto-restart off).

First if you have Win 10 Home: https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/

https://tweaks.com/windows/67201/configure-windows-10-to-prompt-for-update-installs/

https://4sysops.com/archives/disable-windows-10-update-in-the-registry-and-with-powershell/

« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 08:57:01 am by jr2 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I can't remember the last time I scrolled the start menu...

Win key -> type the first few letters of the app I want -> press enter
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.