Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134716 times)

I saw this coming, claims man who said it was going to be fine in january.

"We're seeing this coming" says world health organization in January.

No one saw this coming, says man who shows images of... err...

regional news sources and gaming news websites downplaying the virus and other websites mentioning that it doesn't kill everyone and spreads quickly, or at the time of writing hasn't spread very far.

Gee it's almost as if this virus wouldn't have been as much of a big deal because everyone counted on proper measures being taken!

You know mabye it's better if JR2 leaves the thread considering how much of an embarrassment this is. It's like he hasn't even read what any of those snippets say!

jr2 is an idiot but you have to understand that that's the fault of the chinese communist party
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Less personal attacks plox.

* Colonol Dekker completes his GD moderation quota for the duration of the lockdown.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

i am sorry, i retract my personal attacks on the author and merely note that in substance jr2's posts are exclusively either a) mindbogglingly wrong or 2) totally inane regurgitations of some random news article

in fairness to him he has stuck entirely to category a) in this thread as he has been in Trump Defence Mode throughout

edit to add: in further fairness to him this is still, of course, all the fault of the chinese
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:45:15 am by Phantom Hoover »
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Oh look, Trump has tried to divert PPE manufacturing bound for allied countries into the US alone. Y'know, including in linked, integral supply chains like those between the US and Canada.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/us-politics/article-3m-to-make-more-face-masks-ramp-up-imports-to-us-after-trump-order/

Thankfully 3M is pushing back.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Online Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
i am sorry, i retract my personal attacks on the author and merely note that in substance jr2's posts are exclusively either a) mindbogglingly wrong or 2) totally inane regurgitations of some random news article

in fairness to him he has stuck entirely to category a) in this thread as he has been in Trump Defence Mode throughout

edit to add: in further fairness to him this is still, of course, all the fault of the chinese

👌👍
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starlord

Meanwhile, on the Chinese tarmac:

https://www.google.fr/amp/s/amp.rfi.fr/en/europe/20200402-china-coronavirus-face-mask-france-stolen-us

At the same time to be fair, I suppose that’s a form of karma, given that we appropriated 50% of a Swedish load transitioning in Lyon.

All this will have long lasting political implications post covid. I wish that virus could at least rid us of a number of lunatic ****ers responsible for these decisions.

Last thing we need is a full blown price war on those wares.

It's okay the dutch had to reject half the masks becuase they weren't good enough.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Just got both a flu and coronavirus test today at the doctor here in DC. I didn't even need to make an appointment (but I did call the doctor's office in the morning to give them a head's up). I guess someone in DC is getting their act (slightly) together because I thought it was going to be a lot more trouble to arrange a coronavirus test.

Both tests were done with a nose swab each, which took all of a minute. Influenza test came up negative (it only took a few minutes to finish the flu test, of course) so it turns out I probably just had a common cold when I got a sore throat and cough last week. It's gonna take another week to find out about the coronavirus test, but seeing as how I never got a fever or shortness of breath, either I didn't get it or I was lucky enough to have a really mild case of it. The really good news is, I feel fine now, almost fully recovered from that cold.

In any case, I told work that I was gonna continue to self-quarantine for another week while I waited for the coronavirus test. Essential profession or no, the supermarket managers were fine with me staying home for another week. No point in taking chances if I'm asymptomatic or not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 07:26:16 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Oh look, Trump has tried to divert PPE manufacturing bound for allied countries into the US alone. Y'know, including in linked, integral supply chains like those between the US and Canada.  https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/us-politics/article-3m-to-make-more-face-masks-ramp-up-imports-to-us-after-trump-order/

This is outrageous (of the US). I'd like to see anyone try to defend it.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

This is outrageous (of the US). I'd like to see anyone try to defend it.

To be fair, it's outrageous of the Trump administration. Most of the US voted against the orange sh!tgibbon. But your point is taken. The Republican Party has been outdoing itself lately defending the indefensible (though they've been doing it for a long time now).
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52161995

Not always successfully. Meanwhile, China is busy trying to position themselves as the global leaders in the fight against the pandemic by giving out masks to everyone they can.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

To be fair, it's outrageous of the Trump administration. Most of the US voted against the orange sh!tgibbon.

Yeah, when I say "the US", I mean the Trump administration. Just like when I say "China", I mean the CCP.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
well I am a dentist and now I have to wear this **** at work

**** you COVID!!

Otherwise situation is still good here in Slovakia, only 471 confirmed infected in a country of 5.5 million. Almost all of them have either a history of coming from abroad or contact with known infected, no community spread confirmed yet. There is a ban on all non-essential businesses and gatherings. And a mandatory 2 week quarantine, either at home or in government centers, for everyone coming in from abroad or everyone who came in contact with suspected infected. There are talks of general ban on going outside your house during easter holidays because people often travel to visit family and friends at that time. Number of tests increased sixfold to 1800/day during last week while number of new infected cases decreased slightly, so I feel quite optimistic we may be actually getting this virus under control. This must be done sooner rather than later because while our economy can handle a month of almost complete shutdown, we certainly cannot afford to prolong this for a year at all...
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:47:44 am by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline starlord

Don’t complain. At least you have protective gear.

Offline Darius

That's better protective gear than we get in the actual COVID wards.

I presume a lot of dental procedures aerosolise the particles hence the spacesuit?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The thing that's really disturbing about jr2 is that he still doesn't give a **** about the disease. He's never managed to make the leap to talking about the pandemic as a serious issue. All he cares about is whether Trump did good or bad and what the liberals think about it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It's crazy to watch people, in real time, turn into that character in disaster movies who cares more about some petty political/interpersonal bull**** than the Actual Disaster. I never believed in the military guys in The Stand who cared more about covering up the source of the virus than about stopping it, but it turns out they're a documentary!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
When they'll make movies about this in a few decades they'll have to tone everything down because people born after the facts would never believe it.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
That's better protective gear than we get in the actual COVID wards.

I presume a lot of dental procedures aerosolise the particles hence the spacesuit?

Exactly. We try to postpone everything that we can but sometimes creating aerosols is inevitable. Also the patient is literally breathing onto you and cannot wear any mask himself. Dentists are among the most endangered medical professionals during this pandemic, except for those working on actual covid wards.

Also, I was lucky to see this coming before **** hit the fan and bought this gear before it was hopelessly sold out. Many of my colleagues are lucky to even have FFP2 respirators and are baking them in an oven for reuse..

EDIT: where are you from if I may ask? How does it look like on the wards?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:17:28 pm by 666maslo666 »
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Darius

I work at the main covid hospital in regional South Western Australia. Cases are manageable but it is a pretty small hospital with limited resources. The remoteness helps and we have relatively few cases compared to other states.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 05:17:47 pm by Darius »