Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 135588 times)

Bill Lee dragged his feet and didn't give a stay at home order until March 30th, so the curve wasn't flattened in Tennessee.  In fact, the projection is that we'll need twice as many hospital beds and four times as many ICU beds as exist in the state at peak need.

I'm going to continue hunkering down for a month, because I'm not sure if being intubated or being triaged out of the system sounds worse, so I'd like to avoid both.

Taiwan's example is inspiring: they were screening passengers and ramping up mask production in early January. A strong response is possible without welding doors.

To be fair, Taiwan had some lead time over China. Instead of controlling an outbreak, they were able to prevent one. It probably helps that their vice president is an epidemiologist.

Turns out you can do great things if you, err, don't downplay the whole thing for months on end.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Or in the case of Boris Johnson try to suggest that everyone should get the virus instead of, you know, not get the virus. If Trump's plan was to keep denying that the light at the end of the tunnel was a train speeding towards him, Boris' was an attempt to derail the train using only his testicles.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline est1895

I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GYTc53r2o

Whether it is true or not, I don't know.

Or in the case of Boris Johnson try to suggest that everyone should get the virus instead of, you know, not get the virus. If Trump's plan was to keep denying that the light at the end of the tunnel was a train speeding towards him, Boris' was an attempt to derail the train using only his testicles.

Johnson's fumbling aside, the UK does not appear to have had the testing capacity to do a proper prevention campaign like South Korea or Taiwan.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
And whose fault would that be?

We had at least a month to get some of that testing capacity in place but instead squandered it on Boris' nonsense. It probably wouldn't have been enough to prevent an outbreak, but it might have stopped it at a low number of cases rather than putting us in the top 10 worldwide. They're managing to do several thousand tests a day now. Had they done those at the start of March instead of insisting on only testing those with symptoms, then the UK wouldn't be in the state it is now.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9GYTc53r2o

Whether it is true or not, I don't know.

So.. a couple of red flags right off.

1: Some research shows that this guy's two videos have caught on like wildfire in the conspiracy theory circles.
2: Why is he posting videos to Youtube with this information and not going to the medical authorities or proper media?
3: Why is this one doctor in NYC the only one supposedly with this information?

The base argument of his videos seems to be that instead of setting the ventilators to combat lung failure, they should be set to combat lack of oxygen.. which I guess forces less pressure into the lungs? This isn't a TV show and he's not House M.D. I would trust most practiced physicians to adjust ventilator settings for each patient as needed. Maybe this guy started his medical ward with the wrong expectations?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The comment section of that video is packed with anti-5G nutcases.

friend linked to some excellent anti-5G material earlier today

1970s belfast: calm, still, peaceful, restful
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

And whose fault would that be?

a huge amount of the blame unquestionably lies on the last 10 years of austerity harrowing the NHS down to nothing in the pursuit of pure right-wing ideology, but when it comes to testing capacity it's not that clear to me how much was down to structural weaknesses in the british system compared to other countries and how much was down to bad acute crisis management. all the 'herd immunity' bull**** was criminally incompetent but i think it may have been informed by knowledge of how bad the country's capacity realy was, rather than responsible for it

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Nope. While it might be true that the UK didn't have enough capacity, the UK government wasn't listening to health professionals enough for that to be the reason they chose that dumb path.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/01/absolutely-wrong-how-uk-coronavirus-test-strategy-unravelled

In fairness, all of this is, off-course, the fault of the EU.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Don't forget the illuminati, 5G, media empires, aliens, daleks, aztecs and rolex.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline theperfectdrugsk

• thinks there should be a dedicated 'en-dash' key
Don't forget the illuminati, 5G, media empires, aliens, daleks, aztecs and rolex.

Also the Cylons, Hester Shaw, and Georgia-Pacific.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Here is a little anecdote to brighten your day with some absurdity:

I live in a tourism region, and we got some pretty depressing economic outlook due to the outbreak because we are at the start of the season and people making trips across Germany is discouraged as well as the boarder to Poland now being policed again. Not to mention that the University is shut down. So you can guess that general mood around here is a bit tense.

Because out local newspaper is of terrible quality, I have to get my information about the local state of outbreak from the local administration - and today, I found this little nugget: (Link)

Today's PR statement started with reporting on the death of an elderly person (there has been some infections at an elder care facility here) and stating current number of confirmed cases, as well as a call of patience with regards to delay information on the effectiveness of the measures currently in place.

And it closes with a paragraph responding to complains that the local offices in charge of registering motor vehicles are currently working at a reduced capacity compared to the previous years; which takes up about 1/3 of the statement.
(For tax purposes many people cancel the registration for motorcycles, caravans or RVs during the winter, meaning they are not legally allowed to be moved on public roads until they are given a new registration)

The joy of people with the right priorites.  ;)
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
"This is a ****ing first world country - A story of an attempt to get medical PPE in Michigan.  This is insane.

Americans, things are going to get a lot worse in your country before they get better.  Stay home.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Bo "shaking hands with everybody" Jo in ICU...

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Bo "shaking hands with everybody" Jo in ICU...

And I wish him exactly as much care, concern, and attention as he has given to others about this disease.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I've said to friends a few times - I don't wish death from this on anyone, but a good bout of prolonged misery and suffering is cosmic justice at work in the case of certain individuals.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]