Author Topic: Coronavirus Outbreak  (Read 134701 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Amen.
Just an hour ago my dad accused me of believing in fairy tales because I told him that the virus being created or coming from a chinese lab was bull**** when he brought up the argument, to be fair when when he told me I might have overreacted (bad science is a bit of a berserk button for me) but apparently he can't accept that there isn't some direct human responsibility and his first thought that I was being naive rather than relying on actual sources.

Scientists have taken a look and the theory is increasingly more ridiculous since research into the genome has shown it basically came from nature. No need for the virus lab to do anything.

So now you have a source to give to your dad.
I have already sent him a few in Italian on my own after storming off, but thanks anyway. ;)
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Pretty much.

Many of these people aren’t debating. They simply know they are right, whatever the logic or lack thereof, whatever the source, whatever the amount of scientific knowledge involved.

All hail the conspiracy theorists and the schizophrenia that follows.

Ugh, ignorant morons (especially the morons who misspell "morons" as "morans") are a humongous pet peeve of mine. I feel for you, Starlord.

Somebody get me my mace.

Which mace? The pepper spray or the warhammer? I can see use for either one, depending on how uppity these conspiracy theorists get when they try to get in one's face. Hopefully the pepper spray will be sufficient deterrent so that we won't have to resort to the warhammer.

Amen.
Just an hour ago my dad accused me of believing in fairy tales because I told him that the virus being created or coming from a chinese lab was bull**** when he brought up the argument, to be fair when when he told me I might have overreacted (bad science is a bit of a berserk button for me) but apparently he can't accept that there isn't some direct human responsibility and his first thought that I was being naive rather than relying on actual sources.

Scientists have taken a look and the theory is increasingly more ridiculous since research into the genome has shown it basically came from nature. No need for the virus lab to do anything.

So now you have a source to give to your dad.
I have already sent him a few in Italian on my own after storming off, but thanks anyway. ;)

I can think of a few choice words in Italian I'd like to say to your father too if he really thinks the coronavirus is a man-made bioweapon. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 10:24:24 pm by Su-tehp »
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline starlord

The thing is I believe this stems deeper than misinformation: it’s a power play.

There is something deeply intoxicating about being the “only one who knows”, which might account for the uppity and conceited behaviour of these people. It places you in the place of a proverbial messiah.

That kind of brainwashing is strongly concomitant with the ones witnessed in sects or cults.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
The thing is I believe this stems deeper than misinformation: it’s a power play.

There is something deeply intoxicating about being the “only one who knows”, which might account for the uppity and conceited behaviour of these people. It places you in the place of a proverbial messiah.

That kind of brainwashing is strongly concomitant with the ones witnessed in sects or cults.

Yup, it's not for nothing that people are referring to the Republican Party as "the cult of Trump" nowadays. These guys were screaming that the coronavirus was a "Democrat [sic] hoax" back in January; now they're screaming that the coronavirus is a Chinese bioweapon as if they expect us to not remember that they said the coronavirus didn't even exist just a few short months ago. Only a cultist (or a moron, or a moron cultist) could have such memory gaps so huge you could drive an 18-wheeler through them. :rolleyes: :nono:

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

Offline starlord

Except I think that this has been going on even before that whole current fiasco with either trump or covid. This will to remain into obscurantism under the argument of conspiracy has been very present even before then.

The goofiest conspiracy theories have gained momentum alongside the growth of the internet but even they were still present before to a lesser extent: creationism, vaccines being poison, chem trails by planes, HIV being fake or man made (rings a bell anyone?), flat earthers, moon landing, Shoah deniers, etc...

What is happening now is a continuation of what was then, with the difference of it being more exacerbated and polarised.

I mean come on, if people knew their history they would realise that the WHO was what eradicated smallpox in 81 while the Cold War was still a thing. Suspending funds because scientists in WHO were wrong (that’s the thing with science: we are often wrong) is kind of like toying with a live grenade: something’s bound to happen and chances are you’ll be sorry when it does.

Not to mention the glorious ****you message this leaves to the rest of us worldwide who might actually give a **** about what competent people have to say for a change.

Sorry: we are skirting around covid on this one.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:14:01 pm by starlord »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
In an effort to bring more light-hearted news to this thread.

The government also said that companies which pay out dividends, buy back own shares or are registered in tax havens won’t be eligible for any of the aid programs, which now amount to a total of 400 billion kroner, when including loans and guarantees.

Poland also seems to have done something similar to this.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

So you're the UK government and you ****ed up. So off course, the response is to say the experts said very different things from what they actually said.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Unsurprising. We're led by a PM that played down the severity of Corona while boasting that he shook hands with patients in hospital. He caught the virus and wound up in the icu as a "precaution". Not even Trump managed that.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Unsurprising. We're led by a PM that played down the severity of Corona while boasting that he shook hands with patients in hospital. He caught the virus and wound up in the icu as a "precaution". Not even Trump managed that.

Yeah, well, this virus has only just gotten started. Wait a few days (or a couple of weeks at most) and Trump will overtake Boris in the Worst Possible Executive At Worst Possible Time Sweepstakes. Hell, at least Boris seems to understand that opening the economy too quickly will just allow the virus to peak again. That's something that Trump can't seem to understand or even care to understand. And it's something the Republican Party, with its shibboleth about government always being a bad thing, absolutely refuses to understand.

The Order of the Stick

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Fine, but admit that India has done 5 times better than your country did at preventing the virus so far then.

I surely admit that India is significantly better off for now. I wouldn't count on it in the long term, tough. I think it is mostly just luck due to this pandemic hitting more internationally connected parts of the world first. Corona is a trickle-down disease.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Governor Lee will not be extending Tennessee's stay-at-home order beyond April 30th.

Pretty sure that I'm going to soon have to choose between having a job to return to or minimizing my risk of exposure.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
****ing. Ghouls.

Patrick went on: "There are more important things than living, and that's saving this country for my children and my grandchildren and saving this country for all of us.

"I don't want to die, nobody wants to die but man we have got to take some risk and get back in the game and get this country back up and running," he told the Tucker Carlson Tonight host.

There are two ways out of the lockdown. One involves saying "ahh, **** it, who cares" and reopening everything while there is still not enough testing and absolutely no vaccine or known-good cure.
The other is realizing that companies are less important than people.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
The other is realizing that companies are less important than people.

That is not something you realize

That is something you decide.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

It's really a false dichtomy isn't it? It's not like companies aren't going to suffer from the deaths of millions.

There's a better way incidentaly.

What if you just murdered the 400 richest Americans and took their money? You end up with 2.9 trillion dollars, which should be enough to jumpstart the economy after the lockdown ends, and you end up with far less dead overall.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Keep going....... I'm subscribing to this idea.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

If that's not enough, kill the next 9,600. You end up with boatloads of money, but you still end up with far less dead then the projected amount of deaths as a result of just letting the virus go on.

The top 1% of Americans own a combined wealth of 34.5 trillion dollars, which is more then the entire US debt. It's about 3 million people, which is incidentally also the amount of people that the Trump administration projected would die if no measures were taken. If you kill them, take all their money, and use the money to rebuild the entire US economy after a lockdown, you end up with the survivors in a much better position then before this crisis!

I mean if you're going to take measures that kill lots of people you might as well take care of the survivors right?

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I am pretty sure your intention is not to advocate real-world violence against a very specific group of people.  :doubt:

Because I'm pretty sure that would be against the site rules.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Ofc. killing millions of people to save millions of people is probably a bit too much, but thankfully thanks to the economics of wealth distribution you only have to kill a very small amount of people to create a massive effect.

I am pretty sure your intention is not to advocate real-world violence against a very specific group of people.  :doubt:

Because I'm pretty sure that would be against the site rules.

Off course not, I wouldn't suggest taking any action that would kill vast swathes of people in order to make the lives of a larger swathe of people better. That would be inhumane.

I'm just pointing out that my method is far more effective then the method proposed by the GOP Texas Lieutenant Governor.

Offline starlord

Take intent into consideration too: would you kill bill gates right now despite the medical foundation he set up?

Incidentally, I seem to remember in one of the protestor’s photos in Texas in this thread that Bill gates was targeted for treason, alongside Fauci. Go figure...