Author Topic: Three questions: Missing FSPort dialogue, pilot files and naming  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Synth

Three questions: Missing FSPort dialogue, pilot files and naming
Hello everybody,

I installed FS2 retail (I have the GOG version) and FSPort (and the MediaVPs of course) via Knossos. However when I start the first mission, I notice that there is no voice-over in the briefing and most of the in-flight dialogue is missing. Am I required to install retail FS1 vps to fully experience FSPort?

I have another question. I haven't played FS2Open in a long time (last time I was still using the 5.5g launcher). Is it still possible to mess up your pilot file by loading different mods or has that been taken care of now?

Final question, is there a distinction between FSOpen and FS2Open or are the two used interchangeably for FS2Open? I don't think there is a source code project because FS1 has always remained closed source, right?

Best,
Synth

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Re: Three questions: Missing FSPort dialogue, pilot files and naming
I have another question. I haven't played FS2Open in a long time (last time I was still using the 5.5g launcher). Is it still possible to mess up your pilot file by loading different mods or has that been taken care of now?

This has been solved.

However I would still recommend making seperate profiles for the Total Conversions, as they sometime use different controls (most notably for strafing and glide).

Final question, is there a distinction between FSOpen and FS2Open or are the two used interchangeably for FS2Open? I don't think there is a source code project because FS1 has always remained closed source, right?

Correctly it is Freespace Open but the term "Freespace 2 Open" can be applied as well.source

AFAIK, this is because "Freespace Engine 1.0" is the one for Freespace 1's retail release; "Freespace Engine 2.0" is the one for Freespace 2's retail release; and "Freespace Engine 3.x.y" (now {year}.x.y) is Freespace Open that is under the care of the SCP.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Synth

Thanks for clearing up the matter about the pilot files and the name. I hope someone can also help me with the question regarding the FSPort. I have another question that I might as well post here. On several places, the following VPs are mentioned: FS2OGGcutscenepack.vp, multi-mission-pack.vp and multi-voice-pack.vp. These VPs are not in my retail copy of FS2. I can't find these anywhere. Do I need these and where can I acquire them?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Those packages used to be distributed separately, but are now rolled into the MediaVPs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Synth

Those packages used to be distributed separately, but are now rolled into the MediaVPs.

Have the cutscenes been taken out then? Because I had to move the retail MVE files to the data/movies directory in order to get the cutscenes working.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The cutscenes are not currently distributed with the MediaVPs.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Synth

The cutscenes are not currently distributed with the MediaVPs.

Thanks for clearing that up! Does the same apply to the voice overs of FS1 in the FreeSpace Port?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The FS1 voiceovers should be included with the Port.  In Knossos, hover over the FSPort entry and click Details.  On the mod page, hover over the Options menu and select Modify.  This checklist will show you which packages are installed.  Make sure that the one labeled "stu" has a checkmark; that includes the retail voice files.  If it doesnt, check it, and then Knossos will download it.  If it's already checked, go back to the Options menu and select Verify File Integrity: that forces Knossos to recheck all of the install files and redownload any that may be incomplete or corrupted.

Offline Synth

Apparently I forgot to tick all the FSPort VPs. I am a giddy goat. Ticking and installing them solved the missing dialogue issue. I wonder though, how come the retail FS2 data is required to play the FS2 campaign but the same is not true for FS1? Is it some sort of legal issue?

It's probably just the way it is set up; I mean you still get a game and an addon for free.