Author Topic: Warmachine Release 2: ZIPSANDZAPSANDMISSLERACKS  (Read 20445 times)

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Warmachine Release 2: ZIPSANDZAPSANDMISSLERACKS

Get it on Knossos

Built for FSO nightly build 22.1.0-20220529
Warmachine presents a remix of Blue Planet part 1, Age of Aquarius, featuring modern engine features. Inspired by sci-fi visuals both classic and modern, all sides of the campaign have received new deadly and dazzling weapons, and in some cases ships, that raise the intensity of combat. Many BP missions, once that once tested the community when they were new but became old hat since, have been given adjustments and twists to get the blood pumping again.

ZIPSANDZAPSANDMISSLERACKS
Release 2 (May 2022) brings new fighters from Talhydras, new effects from Kestrellius, and music from Shadows of Light along with many other community contributions. Try out a new re-balanced fighter roster, avoid the blistering PULSEQUAKE of the rearmed warships, and find out what new surprises the Shivans brought this time. Then check out the mission simulator to see if your reflexes and computer are up to pushing it even further.

Likely-asked questions:
Q: But canon?
A: Warmachine started out as a reaction to early Blue Planet, and branched of into exploring alternate ideas about the GTVA's post-Capella future.It is not made by the Blue Planet team, knowingly conflicts with BP canon, and will continue to do so as we develop more content of our own.

Q: Is this just Age of Aquarius?
A: We've developed a few stand alone missions in the tech room, and will continue to do so, but currently AoA is the primary content.

Q: War in Heaven?
A: No. At least not by us, not any time soon. We've included a rearmed version of the Icarus cutscene, but this is merely for fun.

Q: Why are there so many models with the wrong names in the wrong places?
A: We are developing new models, but art production takes a lot of time. In the mean time we have new ships we want to explore, and we're using models already in BP that more or less fit the properties we want for the final ship.

Q: How can you rip off Blue Planet so much?
A: Blue Planet's developers have been aware of and at times quite helpful in development since the beginning.

Credits
Warmachine
Talhydras - Lead
EatThePath - Bass
Kestrellius - Pyro

Invalubale testing by
Lafiel
JadedDragoon

Music used
Freespace Soundtrack Expansion Project by ShadowsOfLight
Supersede by Carbon Based Lifeforms
Authority by Vondkreistan.

Sounds used from
Starcraft by Blizzard
Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak by Blackbird Interactive
Mass Efect 3 by Bioware
Halo 3 by Bungie
Supreme Commander by Gas Powered Games
Tyrian by Epic Megagames
Iji by Dan Remar

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Stargate SG-1
Macross II
Star Trek
Star Wars
Titan AE
Yukikaze

Freesound

Models and effects used...
Shielded Lucifer from FSPort
Edited SF Manticore from Kestrellius
Something Special from Nyctaeus
Remade warp effects from Gamma39er

Scripts used...
Axem's targetbox and turret hotkeying
Wookiejedi's capship maneuvering

Thanks to...
The Blue Planet team, for creating such an engrossing and inspiring experience we built on, and for being so excited about what we're doing with it
The SCP team, for making so many new things possible over the years, and also for putting up with our outlandish requests
Axem and DahBlount in particular for their work on multi-lock missile features
Sab0o, for patiently teaching Talhydras how to import a model file all those years ago
Icefox, for providing dev repo hosting and troubleshooting
And of course, please see the Blue Planet credits for everyone who contributed to that which we built on.

2.0 changes:

New fighter models, all new missile models with TEI fighter options now sporting externally mounted missiles to show them of, re-turreting of most TEI ships, player equipment balance tweaks and overhauls, remade effects for most things by Kestrillius and Talhydras collaborating, a fresh batch of mangling with AoA the missions with some things I'm excited to hear first reactions to, select music from ShadowsOfLight, shinier TEI ships, new shader and lighting settings, some smart weapon targeting modes, and too much more that I didn't keep track of in detail
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 06:56:07 pm by EatThePath »
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Re: RELEASE: Warmachine
YEEESSSS!!!!!

Assert: "(swp->secondary_bank_weapons[bank] >= 0) && (swp->secondary_bank_weapons[bank] < weapon_info_size())"
File: ship.cpp
Line: 19343

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 147 bytes
fs2_open_20_1_0_multilock_x64_SSE2-FASTDBG.exe! <no symbol>
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes

[ This info is in the clipboard so you can paste it somewhere now ]

Use Debug to break into Debugger, Exit will close the application.

ntdll.dll! NtWaitForSingleObject + 20 bytes
KERNELBASE.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 147 bytes
KERNEL32.DLL! BaseThreadInitThunk + 20 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlUserThreadStart + 33 bytes
your mod doesnt work
https://fsnebula.org/log/5ec56ebccb0d3321b2c98673

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Sorry about that. Looks like in our testing we neglected to retry mission 0 again in the final passes. Both it and the final cutscene mission of AoA have that problem, but the other cutscene-type moments in AoA don't. Investigation is ongoing into why, but in the mean time I've updated the mod to start you at mission 1 instead of mission 0 of AoA. May require a new pilot or restarted campaign or whatnot, I'm not entirely certain what gets saved in the pilot file.

1.0.2 with this fix has already been uploaded.
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

I can't find the mod in Knossos. Running the install link on the nebula page gets me the
"Mod "Warmachine" could not be found!" dialog. I'm running v0.14.0 built from source on Arch Linux.

EDIT: Now it appears, seems like Knossos had connection trouble getting the current mod list.

Also, are there multilock builds for Linux or is the source available to build them myself?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 03:57:24 pm by themaddin »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Regarding finding the mod, Knossos seems to be taking about a day to display new mods in the explore tab. I think Woutersmits got it through the install link, but I really can't troubleshoot too much on how Knossos serves the mod.

Regarding building multilock, I believe https://github.com/scp-fs2open/fs2open.github.com/tree/test/multilock is the correct place to get current code. The test build server appears to only generate windows builds.

Also, 1.0.3 has been uploaded now that should resolve the cutscene mission issues and restores the campaign to including them. Sorry if that messes things up for anyone who has already started in on it. It also resolves a few other issues, including one that was broadly breaking missile behavior. That was caused by a last second solution of mine to another minor problem just before launch that I didn't test broadly enough, apparently. Hopefully the whack-a-mole is done with this release.

OK, thanks. I'll try to build it from there.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Can't wait to play this...after I finish with all the other Freespace mods on my list. Soooooo much to do.... :sigh:

But yeah, I'm not finding it on Knossos yet either. Maybe in a day or two, but it's not like I'm in a rush to get it right away.

Also, the music is not "Supersede" by Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Rather, it's "Authority" by Vondkreistan.

Both are awesome songs though.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Man, the tracer effects on those primaries are gnarly. Pew pew pew pew.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
Also, the music is not "Supersede" by Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Rather, it's "Authority" by Vondkreistan.

Supercede is used ingame as menu music(edit: though apparently I'd flipped artist and title). The trailer is indeed Authority, as credited in the video description if you go through to youtube, though below the 'read more' button.

I suppose it wouldn't be bad idea to add it to the credits here, even if it doesn't make much sense to add it to the ingame credits since it doesn't feature in the game yet.

-----------------

To be clear, since it appears I may not have been clear enough initially, this release includes ONLY: The Age of Aquarius missions from Blue Planet, and two stand-alone tech room instant action missions. One of those missions is pretty simple mindless action, the other is a lot more ambitious.

Our broader ambitions may bring you more story content in the future, but that's what we have for you at the moment.

-----------------

If you don't know how to use the multilock builds, here are some instructions for windows users.

• Download https://porphyrion.feralhosting.com/datacorder/builds/test/multilock/test_multilock-builds-Win64.zip
  • Extract that into it's own folder, somewhere you can find again.
  • In the home tab of knossos, mouse over the card for Warmachine. A small arrow will appear near the bottom right of the card. Click it.
  • In the resulting menu pick the FSO Settings option.
  • This will open a settings window including a dropdown for FSO Build. Click the browse button next to this and navigate to where you extracted the build you downloaded earlier, then select fs2_open_20_1_0_multilock_x64_SSE2.exe.
  • Scroll to the bottom of the settings window and click save. Only then close the settings by clicking out of it or using the small x in the top right.

Do that and you should be able to launch the mod as you would any other from that point.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 09:19:20 am by EatThePath »

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
An update went up yesterday that addresses some issues people have pointed out since launch. Full details are at the bottom of the release post.

We've been at work, thinking about ways to polish up the rough spots of the mod and how we want to expand it in the future. Most close to the fore is reworking the fighter and bomber selection, as the goal is to have the 14th BG fielding only new fighters but the existing TEI lineup doesn't entirely satisfy what we want out of the aesthetics or gameplay. Also, gonna cover those suckers in external mounted missiles.

No telling when that or any of the other things we're doing will be ready for the public, of course.

You're doing Lord Itano's work, my friend.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
At long last, you can play feature-complete Warmachine on nightly builds now. The earliest I've tested it on is 20200727, but the missiles appear to be entirely well behaved there. No more needing to download custom builds! So if you've been holding off for that reason, wait no longer. Itano Circuses for everyone!

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Ok, I'll bite: what's an "Itano Circus?"

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."

"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
The Itano Circus is the anime visual trope of a fighter or mecha dancing through a swirling dense swarm of missiles. It's named after an animator/animation director by the name of Ichiro Itano who originated it. It is probably most associated with Macross, hence it's other popular name, the Macross missile massacre, but it's been seen in a lot of anime since.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue

I don't get it. :P

*disengaging snark mode*

The Itano Circus is the anime visual trope of a fighter or mecha dancing through a swirling dense swarm of missiles. It's named after an animator/animation director by the name of Ichiro Itano who originated it. It is probably most associated with Macross, hence it's other popular name, the Macross missile massacre, but it's been seen in a lot of anime since.

Yeah, the famed Macross Missile Massacre I knew of, mainly from TVTropes. Oddly enough, I never saw a link to the Itano Circus at TVTropes, but then again, I wasn't looking too hard, so it's more than likely I missed it.

Now I have to download Warmachine and add it to the list of the FS2 campaigns I need to play....

The Order of the Stick

Offline neoterran

This is broken on Knossos for me. While it's installed and all files verified, it says it can't find the executable.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
I just uploaded a new version that both fully accounts for targeting nightlies instead of custom, and also uses the new MVPs version. Hopefully that'll clear up your executable problem. If it doesn't, check the mod settings and make sure it's actually selecting an executable version at all.