Author Topic: Some music I wrote  (Read 7333 times)

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I started writing a string quartet in Summer 2020, using some melodies that have been bouncing around in my head for decades.

With encouragement from others, I finished the quartet last summer, learned more music theory on my own last fall, and took a composition class this past spring.

My SoundCloud page showcases what I've written so far.

Current project is a saxophone quartet that a professional ensemble will try out this fall.

I'm planning to take the class again next spring. It can be taken up to 4 times, since the ensemble the students write for changes each year. In the meantime, I'll be taking private lessons.

It'd be cool to try writing some music for FS mods someday, but maybe excerpts from what I already have are usable? Changing the tempo/instrumentation isn't too hard, and when time allows, I might be able to flesh out parts of what I've written into longer pieces.

Oooh, random string quartet! I'll give it a listen sometime!

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
ooooooooh, nice! "In Praise Of A Bear" is a very nice sounding bit of classical, it kinda has the same vibe as Four Seasons: Spring.
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
:bump:

New works!

EDIT: A classmate pointed out that the first two minutes of my brass quintet (unintentionally) sounds like it belongs in a war movie soundtrack. Maybe some modder would find it useful?  :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 03:09:13 pm by jg18 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Very nice :yes:

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
These are all great, you should be proud.  Keep at it and share them. 
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
Thanks, guys. Appreciate it. :)

Working on the next piece, also for solo piano, ETA sometime this year. This one I plan to be able to play myself. ;7 I couldn't play the blues-y piece, since I can't do swing feel, but this piece will have a classical rhythmic feel.

The ensemble for the composition class next spring will be a string quartet. It'll be a great opportunity to apply everything I've learned since my first attempt at a string quartet a few years ago, when I had no teacher/advisor or music theory beyond fundamentals. Despite those limitations, others think its 2nd movement (3:41-5:28 in the recording) is among the best things I've written, so here goes again. :D